• Yes

Votes: 70 19.1%
  • No

Votes: 296 80.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Sticks going is about bloody time.
Good on him for trying to get the club back on track after a worst period in our history but it was well overdue other people took the club forward.

Our last recruiter was lambasted all over this place and if you read/believe BF you would think we have only got 1 draft pick right in 15 odd years now so surely SOS cannot do any worse.

Pretty much, people just want to hate on the Blues (I know I do)......

Carltons recruitment and list management has been rubbish for years IMO.

SOS, whilst he obviously had a helping hand at GWS with draft concessions, is pretty highly regarded.

I think his appointment, along with the recent changes in administrative staff at the Blues are a good thing.

Given the lack of traffic on this thread, seems pretty obvious not too many AFL people think Stephen Silvagni is some dud who knows nothing about football.

Given the lack of traffic on this thread, seems pretty obvious not too many AFL people think Stephen Silvagni is some dud who knows nothing about football.

No one is saying he doesn't know football, the question is does he know enough about recruiting to head recruiting?

Far be it from me to defend anything Carlton, but surely SOS has the resume to justify his job at Carlton?

Not really - if it was as an Asst Coach ....undoubtedly. If it was playing a recruiting role under an experienced list manager ....undoubtedly.

What are his credentials for heading up Carlton's recruiting ....4 years at a club where he would of had a world of support.

I would of thought to head up recruiting at a club at the cross roads ...you would want 10 years + experience. The fact it is at his traditional home, that makes it harder to remove him if he is crap at his new role.

Time will tell, however on face value - it is a risky move.

Have I missed something? Was SOS appointed the new head of recruiting, or is he still the list manager?

It seems likely that SOS will keep his current title but oversee the recruiting department, effectively making Rogers' position redundant. Which makes me wonder if the recruiting and list management departments will be under-resourced--after all, one of the lines they spun us when they brought SOS along was to bolster the resources and take some of the load off Macca.

Hate speech?! Hardly.

My opinion is happy SOS is back and looking forward to the list he will build over the next few years and can't wait to here 'Jack Silvagni' name being called out at the end of the year

Wish Shane Rogers all the best but change was needed. New President, New list manager is what the club needed moving forward

How about Carlton fans instead of getting all defensive, actually prove to everyone that Silvagni is a great recruiter.

What are his big achievements in this role?

My opinion is happy SOS is back and looking forward to the list he will build over the next few years and can't wait to here 'Jack Silvagni' name being called out at the end of the year

Wish Shane Rogers all the best but change was needed. New President, New list manager is what the club needed moving forward

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean their statements are hate speech.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems likely that SOS will keep his current title but oversee the recruiting department, effectively making Rogers' position redundant. Which makes me wonder if the recruiting and list management departments will be under-resourced--after all, one of the lines they spun us when they brought SOS along was to bolster the resources and take some of the load off Macca.

Gee, step backwards IMO. Hope they appoint someone else as head recruiter and let SOS stick to list management.

I would have thought four years at GWS is a fairly adequate preparation, personally.

Yes, picking good talent at GWS, with drafting the fairly refined science that it is these days, was a bit like shooting fish in a barrel. But, Silvagni is no mug. I can't really see why this is a bad thing for Carlton.

.... instead of trying to pot the club for appointing a Team of the Century member.

Surely that should be irrelevant.

He has been appointed to a senior position in the football department not some quasi-ambassadorial role.

When you think of the best in the business, people such as Hine, Wells and Wright come to mind.
Wright was a fine player, but Hine & Wells never played at AFL level. They were essentially state league players.

Not sure how being a champion player at Carlton makes him any more qualified to be the club's list manager.

How about Carlton fans instead of getting all defensive, actually prove to everyone that Silvagni is a great recruiter.

What are the massive achievements that this guy SOS has replaced in the role that make you so sure it was the wrong move to give him a go and we should of kept him?

Leave the boys club excuse out of it as it is opinion on your part and the whole premise of the thread. But i am asking for FACT on your part on why SOS should not have the role as the previous guy which you keep harping on was so much better? Show me the proof in your own opinion and make your case.

bit harsh!
Giants will continue to improve and in a few years like the Suns I expect them to be up the top end of the ladder.

He would have grown and become more confident in his role and no doubt at Blues will identify areas of improvement. I agree that has not shown that he is a great recruiter yet but I think in time Giants will be a dominant side. SOS needs time and hope he gets remembered for his work at Blues rather than GWS

a Carlton supporting friend suggests Mathieson thrown his weight around on this one. If that's in any way correct its disastrous for Carlton

Question, Cats have been an outstanding side for nearly a decade. Their record over that time speaks for itself but sad reality is that players such as Kelly, Bartel, Stevie J, Enright, Lonergan will all move on in the next 2 seasons

What do you think will be Cats recruiting strategy at the end of the season to cover these positions? Massive shoes to fill is an understatement but which areas do Cats need to focus on to cover loss of past All Australians & Brownlow, Norm Smith & Premiership players?

I'm sure there is a focus but hard to see where Cats will start

What are the massive achievements that this guy SOS has replaced in the role that make you so sure it was the wrong move to give him a go and we should of kept him?

Leave the boys club excuse out of it as it is opinion on your part and the whole premise of the thread. But i am asking for FACT on your part on why SOS should not have the role as the previous guy which you keep harping on was so much better? Show me the proof in your own opinion and make your case.

I dont know anything about the guy he is replacing. But I do know that if you are going to appoint someone in this industry its a good move to get someone with credentials. I haven't said Silvagni is bad at what he does, just not proven. If he is a gun as you have said, how about pointing out to the good people here where he has succeeded with his recruiting?

What I'm proposing is that Carlton may have overlooked the importance of this role in order to bring back a club champion. That also includes you, and every other carlton support who are jumping up and down at the suggestion that this could have been a bad move.

Back