The Bar - Beer, Wine & Spirits Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Tried the Dainton Equalizer hazy pale the other day. Fruity little number and quite refreshing, only 4.7% so not too heavy on the palate or liver.
I like.

Hadn’t heard of them until just now mate. And I’m not too far from them. It’s such a crowded field here. Amazing that a small player like that is shipping down under. I hope it’s as good as the price tag!

Here’s a local brew I’m drinking atm.

View attachment 1075911

At work and making me thirsty.

Thats fantastic mate. I’m on the east coast but west coast definitely wins the IPA wars (with a slight tip of the cap to Vermont). Stone is probably my favorite brewer here, but there are sooo many.

And 20 years ago, Sierra Nevada was about as good as it got for tasty beer- much respect to them for sure. Somehow I have never had a beer from Rogue. I’ll have to rectify that soon.
Was just down the beer shop and noticed Sierra Nevada Hazy Little Thing selling for $20 a 4 pack which is a competitive price here.
Lot of miles to send a beer though, I tend to stick to Aus crafties.

Yeah we get stuff here. Was more common in years past to seek it out as there wasn't a good representation of locally brewed IPAs. Now there's a huge range of fresh local stuff so unless something is cold chain delivered to Aus it's kinda not worth buying.

There's a local mob here who bring in Toppling Goliath amongst others, and they've put the effort into bringing it in cold.
* those beers are so good. They bring another brand in called Parish. Probably the best double IPA I’ve ever had

Is Evil Twin as expensive in the US as it is here? Seems like a Garage Project type equivalent - great beer but can't justify the $20 per can.
I pretty much always pick up their stuff when I see them. I think the evil twin stouts are worth every single cent. It’s the other styles I have from evil twin that I find hit and miss. Started just grabbing the stouts. One of them sends you absolutely one ya way

I pretty much always pick up their stuff when I see them. I think the evil twin stouts are worth every single cent. It’s the other styles I have from evil twin that I find hit and miss. Started just grabbing the stouts. One of them sends you absolutely one ya way

I've only had their stouts, think one was called Even More Jesus? Yeah was light headed after one. From memory an imperial donut stout and maybe a maple pecan pie one.

Was just down the beer shop and noticed Sierra Nevada Hazy Little Thing selling for $20 a 4 pack which is a competitive price here.
Lot of miles to send a beer though, I tend to stick to Aus crafties.
They’re okay, nothing special. And the cans are smaller too which is a bit of a put off. Worth a try at least but wouldn't go back for seconds.

Yeah they’ve got about 10 versions of that stout. All sublime

Yeah gotta say they definitely nail it.

My wife got me this for Christmas:

images (1).jpeg

Saving for a cold winter night by the fire.

They’re okay, nothing special. And the cans are smaller too which is a bit of a put off. Worth a try at least but wouldn't go back for seconds.
I haven't bought Sierra Nevada since back in the day when they were one of the only IPA's chain liquor stores were selling, ok but left them alone since local craft brewers arrived.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

are panhead beers good? For some reason I've stayed away from them on tap

Their Quickchange XPA is very similar to Balter's XPA. I'd consider it to be the equivalent (not in flavour) of Goat but in an ale - a pretty good beer for a reasonable price. Worth a try on tap, but it's not quite up to the levels of some other pales on offer these days. Most of their beers are the same; above average quality for reasonable price.

Their Quickchange XPA is very similar to Balter's XPA. I'd consider it to be the equivalent (not in flavour) of Goat but in an ale - a pretty good beer for a reasonable price. Worth a try on tap, but it's not quite up to the levels of some other pales on offer these days. Most of their beers are the same; above average quality for reasonable price.
swear to god I've seen it at camfield and for a while thought it was their beer.

Grabbed a few tins this arvo:

Gweilo Precision Pilsner
Gweilo Tropical Pilsner
Cheeky Monkey Lefties ECIPA
Rocky Ridge Lemon Sherbet Berliner
Panhead Rat Rod Hazy IPA
And 500ml of Boston Great Southern IPA

Precision pilsner pretty tops, tastes like an IPL so far. If I'm not too comatose I'll post some thoughts on the others.

Grabbed a few tins this arvo:

Gweilo Precision Pilsner
Gweilo Tropical Pilsner
Cheeky Monkey Lefties ECIPA
Rocky Ridge Lemon Sherbet Berliner
Panhead Rat Rod Hazy IPA
And 500ml of Boston Great Southern IPA

Precision pilsner pretty tops, tastes like an IPL so far. If I'm not too comatose I'll post some thoughts on the others.
I look forward to reading your thoughts when you are only slightly comatose. :D

I look forward to reading your thoughts when you are only slightly comatose. :D

Well the Gweilo Tropical Pils is okay, had it a few months back and it's decent but well short of the Precision Pils. About to crack the new Boston IPA, really looking forward to this.

I'm guessing somewhere after the Cheeky ECIPA which is 7.5% I'll be well on my way!

I must say that I quite like the Panhead beers that I have tried. Kiwi brewers tend to do a pretty good job.

Lately I've been keeping an eye out for Tiny Rebel beers, Welsh brewery that my British hop head mates rave about, they also make some utterly bizarre beers. Cellarbrations Hami Hill had a Sour Cola beer from their 'Funk' range in the fridge that I picked up this week, very strange brew, tasted like a coke without any sugar, definitely didn't taste like a beer. Having said that, the Tiny Rebel Clwb Tropicana that is in my fridge is very good.

On the topic of American beers down here, I always liked the Goose Island beers when I had them in the States and still find it pretty decent here, pretty sure the ones we get here are Australian brewed though.

I must say that I quite like the Panhead beers that I have tried. Kiwi brewers tend to do a pretty good job.

Lately I've been keeping an eye out for Tiny Rebel beers, Welsh brewery that my British hop head mates rave about, they also make some utterly bizarre beers. Cellarbrations Hami Hill had a Sour Cola beer from their 'Funk' range in the fridge that I picked up this week, very strange brew, tasted like a coke without any sugar, definitely didn't taste like a beer. Having said that, the Tiny Rebel Clwb Tropicana that is in my fridge is very good.

On the topic of American beers down here, I always liked the Goose Island beers when I had them in the States and still find it pretty decent here, pretty sure the ones we get here are Australian brewed though.
I've seen a s**t load of Tiny Rebel at Mane Liquor. Like maybe 10 types? Their non alc CLWB is probably the best non alc I've ever had

Remove this Banner Ad

Back