The Bar - Beer, Wine & Spirits Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Have you tried Baron Samedi? I’ve heard it’s better than Kraken. I’m still yet to try it myself, but I got a bottle for my Brother In Law for Xmas and he says it’s one of the best spiced rums he’s ever had. Also Brinley Gold Shipwreck Spiced as linked above and Brinley Gold Shipwreck Vanilla are two that are apparently very good. I stopped drinking for a couple of years but I’ve just recently started having a few Krakens every now and then. So I’ve I got a few to try. Think I’ll go the BGS Vanilla first.
I've had the Baron and i think its rubbish. Its got a little bit of a dirty taste to me and i prefer kraken sailors and cm over it. Had 1, didnt believe it so had another and i wouldn't choose it again.
Would love to know how the vanilla goes - wondering if it could be super sweet.
The gold spiced - be prepared to finish the bottle in one sitting, its perfection

Have you tried Baron Samedi? I’ve heard it’s better than Kraken. I’m still yet to try it myself, but I got a bottle for my Brother In Law for Xmas and he says it’s one of the best spiced rums he’s ever had. Also Brinley Gold Shipwreck Spiced as linked above and Brinley Gold Shipwreck Vanilla are two that are apparently very good. I stopped drinking for a couple of years but I’ve just recently started having a few Krakens every now and then. So I’ve I got a few to try. Think I’ll go the BGS Vanilla first.
I found Baron to be a little rough. I didn't mind the flavour profile though.

* This was drinking it straight in a side by side testing with a heap of other spiced rums

I don’t mean to be a smartarse but any chance you can let him know that “menu’s” does not need an apostrophe, and when to use your and you’re.

It’s hard enough to take on BF, but when a business is posting on Facebook it looks unprofessional.

Lots of positive reviews on FB, so will give it a try. Good luck to him.
lol clearly your not a business man...

Had a few stale hoppy interstate beers recently buying from bottle shops in Perth and regional WA, and starting to really understand how hop flavour/aroma dissapates if hoppy beers aren't drunk soon after bottling

The exact same delicious beers I've had fresh in Vic suddenly taste like soda water after being put into trucks and transported a few times and then sat on shelves for 6 months.

I always thought it was a bit of a myth but it's a good lesson that, if you try a beer from a bottle shop that doesn't live up to lofty expectations (especially if it cost you a bit), it might not be the beer's fault, it's just past its best before.

Beers that don't rely on hop flavour will last a lot longer on the shelf or even get better with age
Welcome to craft beer friend.

Had Pirate Life's STRIIPA on Thursday night at petition (Strawberry Oak Aged IIPA). Have to say - absolutely dreadful. The better oak aged beers augment the ales subtly, this one was over the top. Like drinking the juices wrung out from a soaked piece of oak. Absolute garbage and it was ridiculously priced too.
Sold out. Not surprised.

Had Pirate Life's STRIIPA on Thursday night at petition (Strawberry Oak Aged IIPA). Have to say - absolutely dreadful. The better oak aged beers augment the ales subtly, this one was over the top. Like drinking the juices wrung out from a soaked piece of oak. Absolute garbage and it was ridiculously priced too.
Yeah it's always a risk barrel-ageing a double IPA too, because the amount of hop they're using in order to make it a IIPA can interact in a volatile way with the wood notes and the oxidation from ageing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair I haven't tried their lighter beers but their stout, brown ale and red ale are all great.

VPA is actually great. Stout was decent but found their red to be a bit shite. Only my opinion of course. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back