The Bar - Beer, Wine & Spirits Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

he said a cheap go to whiskey. What do you know of thats better for under $50??

Under $50 for sipping? Johnny Walker Black fits the bill if you can place brand snobbery aside. Enough peat in it to stand up to a ginger ale when you are visited by those so inclined, without breaking your heart watching good whiskey disappear into a mixer.

Let's not pretend you can buy a $100 bottle taste at $45-50 here...

My neighbor drinks carlton dry all the time and is allways trying to give me s**t about some of the craft beers i drink. Now I usually couldnt give a * what other people drink but the other day he said he prefers a real beer over the s**t i drink. I said "that's funny because carlton dry is the equivalent to a polony and tomato sauce sanga vs my VPA = rib eye"

Under $50 for sipping? Johnny Walker Black fits the bill if you can place brand snobbery aside. Enough peat in it to stand up to a ginger ale when you are visited by those so inclined, without breaking your heart watching good whiskey disappear into a mixer.

yeah i dont mind Black and i dont mind mixing it too if I feel like it. And yeah ******* mates mixing expensive whiskey with coke :thumbsdown: such a waste.

Double Black on special is definitely worth it. Much better than Black.

My neighbor drinks carlton dry all the time and is allways trying to give me s**t about some of the craft beers i drink. Now I usually couldnt give a **** what other people drink but the other day he said he prefers a real beer over the s**t i drink. I said "that's funny because carlton dry is the equivalent to a polony and tomato sauce sanga vs my VPA = rib eye"
Probably more real beer ingredients like malt and hops in one stubble than his entire carton of Super Dry

I haven't bought a bottle in a while. I think it was 50-55ish on spesh. Do you know if it's gone up?

Sorry mate, not sure. I usually get the Double Black when someone is rolling through the duty free as it makes a pretty good value proposition there - the same with Makers Mark, which is an enjoyable enough sipper at it's proper 90 proof rating.

I think the double black is about $65 at full price (quickly looking at Dan's website) so it might get down there on special.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn’t Carlton dry a low carb beer?
Don’t think so called “real men” are into that when it comes to their beer.
My neighbor drinks carlton dry all the time and is allways trying to give me s**t about some of the craft beers i drink. Now I usually couldnt give a **** what other people drink but the other day he said he prefers a real beer over the s**t i drink. I said "that's funny because carlton dry is the equivalent to a polony and tomato sauce sanga vs my VPA = rib eye"

tenor.gif
Can you have a rare big night while on it?

Could I just not take that on that particular night?

Best to stick with the polony, he would probably cook the rib eye well done anyway.

Had a few stale hoppy interstate beers recently buying from bottle shops in Perth and regional WA, and starting to really understand how hop flavour/aroma dissapates if hoppy beers aren't drunk soon after bottling

The exact same delicious beers I've had fresh in Vic suddenly taste like soda water after being put into trucks and transported a few times and then sat on shelves for 6 months.

I always thought it was a bit of a myth but it's a good lesson that, if you try a beer from a bottle shop that doesn't live up to lofty expectations (especially if it cost you a bit), it might not be the beer's fault, it's just past its best before.

Beers that don't rely on hop flavour will last a lot longer on the shelf or even get better with age

I've had flat Garage Project, Evil Twin over the years. Even the best beers can turn to s**t on you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back