The Gabba to be Rebuilt

Remove this Banner Ad

Santana

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 28, 2008
With Brisbane winning the 2032 Olympic hosting rights it looks like the Gabba is going to be essentially demolished and rebuilt. If it's rebuilt all at once then I wonder how it will affect Cricket.

Hobart & Canberra will definitely be seeing more limited-over matches but I wonder if they will fill the void for all Test matches that would have happened at the Gabba while it is out of action or will some grounds host twice in the same summer.

Will the Men's national team play at Allan Border Field? Will they play internationals at the WACA again? Surely Geelong will host again.

With Brisbane winning the 2032 Olympic hosting rights it looks like the Gabba is going to be essentially demolished and rebuilt. If it's rebuilt all at once then I wonder how it will affect Cricket.

Hobart & Canberra will definitely be seeing more limited-over matches but I wonder if they will fill the void for all Test matches that would have happened at the Gabba while it is out of action or will some grounds host twice in the same summer.

Will the Men's national team play at Allan Border Field? Will they play internationals at the WACA again? Surely Geelong will host again.
Given Tasmania is a first class state, I feel they will receive their fair share of test matches in the absence of the Gabba.

I wouldn't say it means an increase of limited overs matches for Hobart and Canberra, but yes it puts them in the frame more for the 5th and 6th Tests of non-Ashes summers (particularly ahead of the big grounds getting 2 Tests but, depending on the calendar, not necessarily ahead of places like the WACA or Darwin). White ball internationals and BBL games that would otherwise be at the Gabba will just move to Metricon.

The only conundrum will be the 2029/30 Ashes. If Tasmania get their act together, they'll have a 30k stadium built by then which will the be logical replacement venue. But the Queensland Govt. will avoid that if there's any reasonable way of doing so.

Allan Border Field would need a lot more money pumped into it to host even low-drawing men's internationals.

Allan Border Field would need a lot more money pumped into it to host even low-drawing men's internationals.
It is going to go through a redevelopment to comply with ICC standards for international cricket but that's more to do with the ground size and drainage than the crowd size so you are probably right the Men's team probably won't play there. It will be handly for games between minnows for when Australia hosts international tournaments.

Shield games at AB
BBL at Metricon
White ball Internationals at Metricon
Not sure how long the Gabba will be out of action for, but when it's our of action unfortunately QLD might miss out on hosting tests for a few years. Anyone know if they're planning on playing games with parts of the ground under construction?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back