The great blackout of 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

If you want to talk about unnecessary look at local govt first. 3 tiers is too many, Federal to handle the whole of nation issues, state to handle state specific. Scrap the local government bullshit (more so now that they're becoming increasingly aligned to political parties).

I reckon Feds are covering more and more state type issues. It's the middleman I'd cut out.

If the shoe was on the other boot you'd be just as quick...

...or Elite Crow or Bicks :D

:p

14522933_1770270916578298_1263956722794922401_n_zpsnv18p7v1.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Feds are covering more and more state type issues. It's the middleman I'd cut out.

The sticking point for me then is having health, education, police, emergency services all run from a single government. Those are all incredibly difficult portfolios, having them run centrally for the entire nation would be a headache. Much easier to drag s**t like local roads, parks, waste management, tourism etc in to a state entity.

The sticking point for me then is having health, education, police, emergency services all run from a single government. Those are all incredibly difficult portfolios, having them run centrally for the entire nation would be a headache. Much easier to drag s**t like local roads, parks, waste management, tourism etc in to a state entity.

I wouldn't have thought so. Whether the structure feeds into a federal or state govt dept wouldn't matter much to the troops on the ground. The Feds are already in the business of being huge national employers, adding a couple more units wouldn't be too difficult. As an example our appointed hospital board would just report to Canberra instead of Darwin. Local staff wouldn't twig to the difference, they'll just be complaining about a different govt.

Councils are on the ground and community focussed. I don't think that can be replicated centrally on a statewide level.

Coming in short bursts here, windy as hell though.

I get the feeling that website exaggerates a little. I saw many people post articles on Facebook about the Adelaide storms coming. A lot of the things that were meant to happen didn't really end up happening as far as I'm concerned.
A lot of scare mongering.
I may be wrong.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk
Weather forecasting is really hard. I've been looking at weather maps for years and had never seen a setup like we had last week.

We did have tornadoes and statewide blackout, bit more rain would have seen significant flooding. But yeah - best bet for weather forecasts is the BOM, even though people complain it's about as good as it gets with the technology we currently have.

They have to make some tough choices sometimes on whether to put out a warning when there's maybe a 30% risk - dont put it out and they've failed completely, put it out and it doesn't eventuate? Then the warning loses its impact kind of like the boy who cries wolf.

Weather forecasting is really hard. I've been looking at weather maps for years and had never seen a setup like we had last week.

We did have tornadoes and statewide blackout, bit more rain would have seen significant flooding. But yeah - best bet for weather forecasts is the BOM, even though people complain it's about as good as it gets with the technology we currently have.

They have to make some tough choices sometimes on whether to put out a warning when there's maybe a 30% risk - dont put it out and they've failed completely, put it out and it doesn't eventuate? Then the warning loses its impact kind of like the boy who cries wolf.
Yep I think the bom do a reasonable job, but was talking exclusively about that higgins storm chasing website.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

It seems early reports after the blackout show wind farms did contribute to the blackout

Remove this Banner Ad

Back