Mega Thread The Mark Neeld Mega-Thread

Why did they not do it last Monday, of the desicion was made on Friday without any games between then?

Feel sorry for Mark but his position was untenable.

Last Monday we were playing, and we only met with the AFL commission on Friday.

Why did they not do it last Monday, of the desicion was made on Friday without any games between then?

Last Monday we were playing, and we only met with the AFL commission on Friday.

Croweater

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2013
Somewhere
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC, Arsenal FC,
I feel really sorry for Mark Neeld.

He walked into an absolute basket case of a footy club.

His performance today at the press conference was as impressive as I've seen from anyone in the game. He understand why he'd been let go, he thanked all of his players, he didn't make everyone feel awkward by sobbing, he was calm and composed when he would be feeling like absolute crap.

Nothing but sheer respect for the man.

Pelkanet

Senior List
Feb 11, 2008
Sheppartonia
AFL Club
Essendon
Disappointing for Neeld, thought he was dealt a harsh hand form the start.
Had to laugh when I heard Tony (chomper) Jones' question to Neeld at the press conf. Did you see it coming, when Peter called you this morning at 8 this morning, did you have an inkling?
That man is probably the most underrated tool on TV and possibly the worst journalist.

Reported on SEN

Brent Moloney just posted a picture of 'Karma is a bitch' on his instragram.

Just a subtle dig ha

Says a fair bit (and not in a good way) about Moloney tbh

Whatever Neelds faults as a coach were I don't think anyone could accuse him of not trying or caring - I don't think the same could be said of some of the players (ex or current)

Dazb86

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I was hoping they'd wait until round 15 to sack him. Teams normally get up in their first couple of games with a new coach. We might lose to Melbourne which would be ******* embarrassing.

yakka man

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 27, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
The poor bloke never had a chance to fix that club.

Hopefully he gets an assistant coaching job somewhere.

They needed a complete restructure.

Coach, CEO, President, a number of other board members, all gone. Start again and get the right people in, and the people that brought them into this position out.

You can't fault them here.

Jackson looks a great appointment, and has done everything right so far (could have timed the sacking better, but the result was the right one).
I think Kennet will be good as a president, if he gets it. Has a presence, and won't cop any crap.

Hopefully they can get a senior, experienced coach that the players will actually respond to and respect. Eade or Choco seem the most likely candidates to grab. Roos and Clarkson are unrealistic IMO.
They've announced they'll apoint an new general manager of footy operations, another good move.

Might take a number of years to get back to consistent, competitive footballs, but the steps that have needed to be taken have occurred.

Should have had a clean out of club personnel far earlier than this. I think they are too far gone to be a powerhouse in AFL ever again

seanoff

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
St Mary's
oh well, matter of when, not if.

I wouldn't be surprised if many of the players weren't called into the CEOs office over the next week and basically delivered a few home truths either. they have been disgraceful.

as for the morons smiling and laughing at the back. boys, thank whatever god you follow that i'm not an AFL coach with a chance at melbourne because your pre-season would be one unending agonising hideous fitness regime. no balls. just lots of running, swimming, weights, cycling and then running for maximum pain and suffering with an open offer to resign if they didn't like it. what a bunch of disrespectful campaigners they are.

LouisCK

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Says a fair bit (and not in a good way) about Moloney tbh

Whatever Neelds faults as a coach were I don't think anyone could accuse him of not trying or caring - I don't think the same could be said of some of the players (ex or current)

Yeah but if you're a good leader you don't piss off 99% of your most senior employees the first time you're introduced to them.

Sacking Bailey was a huge mistake, his record wasn't great but it wasn't terrible either, he still recorded 16 wins and 2 draws in 2 seasons (8 wins and 1 draw in 2010 and 2011). He was still able to record thumping wins against travelling wins at the G i.e. Adelaide, Sydney, Brisbane and Freo and now they get thumped by them. They simply overreacted after the Geelong match and should've stuck with him for 2012 to see how they would've fared. Neeld is a solid assistant coach but he is no good as a head coach. Clean out the rot, Jackson was a good appointment, get Kennett in and someone like Paul Roos as coach. Not only is he a terrific coach, it gets him out of the commentary box which is a win for everyone.

footyfan000001

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Why? Do you find 5 wins from 33 matches acceptable? And the losses weren't small.

And walks away with approx $1.8 million dollars for his 3 years, which most of us couldn't save in 20 years.

If I could find one fault in him - it was him recruiting Gillies, Pedersen, Byrnes and Rodan. If he had of just picked up Dawes and then used the other room on the list for youth in the draft - I honestly don't think he would be in this position right now - even with just 1 win this year. Which is his fault yes. He would be getting away with getting smashed as he would be playing and developing young kids. That's my take on it anyway. I would be seriously frustrated if I were a Demons fan as Hannath was in their laps during pre-season and they wasted picking him up to have old duds on their list instead. Throw a Hannath in there and a few more young kids in the draft and you could have all of a sudden be excited about the future with Hogan coming in 2014. It's a shame. Get rid of these recycled duds, start again and invest heavily in the draft with kids 18-20 years of age. 'Disgrace' probably not the best word I used. Just a rookie mistake picking up these older players by a NEW coach, who I think would have learned from it going into 2014.

Apr 8, 2012
Canberra
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, Toronto Blue Jays
Who would honestly take this job atm? It is a career killer.

I feel sorry for Neeld. He lost the playing group early on but really didn't have much to work with. The club is an omnishambles and he is being forced to be the face of it.

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast

The new owners have stepped in and want to see ROI quickly. Chairman and Coach sacked. More to follow in terms of how the franchise is run under AFL ownership. The board can probably stay as they are now puppets.

I would be happy if WC offered Neeld an assistants position. He looks a very honest person and clearly has a good track record prior to the death trap.

22nd man

Rookie
Jun 16, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Nah they should go young again, that's where all the value is. They'll never be able to afford Roo's and tbh if Mark Neeld weren't the coach for the last couple of years and still an assistant he would be exactly the type they should go over.

Eade is probably the favourite at this stage though. Gary Ayres is another who is a bit of a smokey - not very fassionable but has a good record as a senior AFL coach and has been excellent in the VFL in recent years. Mathew Kights is another who is highly regarded but he is a bit tarnished because of Essendon

Knights is not tarnished but has been smeared by a sycophantic media cheer squad, the Board led spin merchants and the smitten Fans of the Golden Child. Started while Knights was still in the chair and continued ever since as the myth of Hird the Saviour is carefully bulit. When the history of this era is written Knights reputation will be burnised and that of others will be in shards.
Now that the decks have been cleared at MFC, we can turn our sights back on the real scandal in the AFL.

Yeah but if you're a good leader you don't piss off 99% of your most senior employees the first time you're introduced to them.

No doubt he went too hard too early in trying to stamp his authority and made some mistakes as a result one of which was getting offside with the senior players rather than working with them to help instill what was required. However, Moloney came across as something of a sook who spat the dummy because he didn't get his way and to post up karma is a bitch isn't a good look for someone who has a reputation for only trying when it suits him

Gary Lyon can collect his 1 dollar bet from Brayshaw now....

Kinda like the old farts in Trading Places... "See JB ... I told you I could get him fired.... You owe me a dollar!"

Grease fire of a club. Plenty of old Demons have plenty to say and nothing to do to fix it. Feel bad for them but until the culture of entitlement shifts and they - all of them - do it the right way - whatever it is - nothing will change....

Oh.. and btw... Cookie is really BUSY!
GO Catters

Regarding Neeld's payout, my understanding is that he only gets it if he doesn't go to another team during the length of the contract (this is how it works in the States anyway). Assuming it's the same here, does anyone know if it only counts if he's a head coach (not likely), or does he lose it even if he becomes an assisstant?

Disappointing for Neeld, thought he was dealt a harsh hand form the start.
Had to laugh when I heard Tony (chomper) Jones' question to Neeld at the press conf. Did you see it coming, when Peter called you this morning at 8 this morning, did you have an inkling?
That man is probably the most underrated tool on TV and possibly the worst journalist.
Rofl.
I feel for Neeld too.
Took over a basket case club which is surrounded by former players who criticise a lot but never have the gonads to do anything about it,

I also feel for ST Kilda who will now undoubtedly become a victim of the "sacked coach" syndrome. No doubt they had put this weeks points in the bank.

Fear Boner

Club Legend
Feb 27, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys & Miami Heat
That football club makes our last 30 years look great.

Oh if only that was the case you see there are these wonderful things called finals and if you play good enough over the season you get to play in them melbourne far exceeded the 3 times you have made it in 30 years but good troll none the less

Back