Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn’t see or listen today’s game due to work, but kept an eye on the score & stats.

Half way through the third I think it was, Tabs had had 1 kick & 6 dream team points, I thought “* me he’s injured!”

Pleasantly surprised (& relieved) to see that he kicked the first goal of the last.

We looked a better team when Hogan got out of his way in the last, more games will equal better team cohesion, would love Jesse to get more runs up the ground and leave Taberner one out forward.
100%. The two have got to stretch their defenders.
Tabs had a mare due to no fault of his own. Kicking inside 50 was worst all season.
Who is our bloody forward coach? Because JLo emphasises short kicking but the last 60-70m it’s just throw it on the boot.
Tabs’ goal came from Darcy just shanking it.
Hogan and Tabs can play together, they always watch for each others’ lead but gee the forward line is a mess.

Our forward line structure/tactics/cohesion is awful. The mids aren't helping either with the majority of kicks i50s reaching the stratosphere before coming down in the forward pocket.
It’s awful. There’s no connection nor understanding. Sure there’s so many inexperienced players such as Sturt, Schulz, Hogan at Freo but the majority of the time, it’s juniors learning how to mark a ball or leading. It’s frustrating

I didn’t see or listen today’s game due to work, but kept an eye on the score & stats.

Half way through the third I think it was, Tabs had had 1 kick & 6 dream team points, I thought “fu** me he’s injured!”

Pleasantly surprised (& relieved) to see that he kicked the first goal of the last.

Was not one of his good ones. Killed by Hartigan and didn’t do himself any favours either. Got involved in the last quarter but was terrible for 3 quarters and even in the last managed to make a few blues. One he’d like to forget and move on from.

Last edited:
One he’d like to forget and move on.
I hope he remembers that his persistency earnt him 3 shots in the last quarter when he got off the leash.

Was good growth to see him fight it out til the end.

Should have had 4 shots had Walters not missed an easy 15 metre pass in the last minute

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s unfair, his decision making has come a long way since he started.

He’s no Dave Mundy but you’ve got to recognise the improvement.
What i mean Jezz is the more he thinks the more likely he is to muck it up.

Needs to take the 1st option that pops into his brain ( like the kick to fyfe)

Some huge marks that commentators failed to acknowledge. Has been our most dangerous forward this year . Leads to the pockets a lot but he ******* nails most of those shots so don’t blame him

Tabs and Fyfe.. they’re going to terrorise defences.
Two clutch goals. Worked hard. His decision making has improved greatly.
The way he did the ruck and threw the ball on his boot. Created the goal for Tucker.
He’s much better as FF instead roaming around CHF/wing.

Led the team for marks and score involvement today, plus the two goals.

Always been a Tabs fan, glad to see him staying on the park - we've missed him of late whenever he's injured.

...can't believe this thread is still going after five -odd years or something like that).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back