The Offseason: Collingwood

What should Collingwood prioritise this off-season?

• Signing Fremantle's Chris Mayne

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Trading Nathan Brown for Daniel Wells

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Ensuring fair compensation in the Travis Cloke trade

Votes: 8 9.3%
  • Packaging Jack Frost and Jarrod Witts to Brisbane for draft picks

Votes: 10 11.6%
  • Trading for Will Hoskin-Elliot from GWS

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Luring another key forward other than Mayne

Votes: 25 29.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You are right got my QLD teams mixed. Perhaps Greenwood to GCS? What would a Greenwood/Witts package fetch? I'd say more than a late first. Pies fans might say a late first for each. So somewhere in between?

Nicholls is quite ordinary IMO and Witts would be an upgrade IMO.

Not for Greenwood...

Who is available in a KPD or KPF position though?
Who knows who is truly movable.

Darling and JRiiewoldt have been mentioned as being up for grabs. A player like Patton could be available if you offered GWS enough.

Marchbank, Tominson, EMac are three defenders I've heard that have been movable or open to trade recently.

Who knows who is truly movable.

Darling and JRiiewoldt have been mentioned as being up for grabs. A player like Patton could be available if you offered GWS enough.

Marchbank, Tominson, EMac are three defenders I've heard that have been movable or open to trade recently.

Thanks for the information!

Not sure why all the negativity from recruiting older players, yes a young list is a key to long term success but how do people expect growth with no one in the team to direct and teach and use past experience if there is none.. Look at the top 8 teams all have a fair bit of experiene on there list bar the bulldogs but guess what, dogs had one of the stingiest backlines in the comp this year and 2 of there back 6 are over 30, 3 if you count bob murphy, coincidence?
The problem we have is we dont have the experience in the key area's right across the field, our most experienced backs are brown and reid, brown i dont see being there next year leaving reid as the experience. I think reid is great back, but i dont think he is even in our leadership group? Any way i think we need a general down there who can keep an eye on the game as well as direct, as our best backman next year i dont think he wont have the time to organise everyone else when he's having to chase the likes of franklin around.
Langdon was thought to be a ready replacement to maxwell i believe he will be but he isnt there yet he still needs guidance, we know its a dificiancy down there hence the reason for sending pendles back early on this year but that just robbed peter to pay paul our midfield was hurt by that. So in my opinion taking wells fills a need of pace, creativity and kicking however im not sure its the leadership experience we need thats where i see the idea of a dal santo off half back teaching and directing alah a nick maxwell roll would be a good thing not to mention having nds kicking out and across halfback can improve the whole team. Mayne is also filling a need of defensive minded fwd as well as an experienced head amongst a very young fwd line. just my 2 cents though:)

You are right got my QLD teams mixed. Perhaps Greenwood to GCS? What would a Greenwood/Witts package fetch? I'd say more than a late first. Pies fans might say a late first for each. So somewhere in between?

Nicholls is quite ordinary IMO and Witts would be an upgrade IMO.
I don't get the Greenwood talk either.
Collingwood saw fit to acquire Greenwood from NM only 2 seasons ago, and now they are going to push him out the door? And they are going to return more than what they gave up to get him in the first place, despite him missing some footy and playing so poorly that they don't want him any more? I just don't get it. I think it's wishful thinking from some pies fans, nothing more. Greenwood ain't going anywhere.

In terms of value, Greenwood and Witts combined still unlikely to return a 1st rd pick IMO.
Would Campbell and Jong return a 1st rd pick? See what I mean?

Note: I don't believe Greenwood has been that bad at all. The pies fans who think he is on the chopping block must think he has

Brisbane won't trade Pick 2 (or Pick 3 if they get a PP) for Witts and Frost (even if packaged)
That's exactly what I said wasn't it?
I do. Right age. Need more depth in the ruck department. Martin is 30 in November.
Let me rephrase this part. I don't get Brisbane giving up anything of real value for Witts, given that he will likely be waiting in the wings a while until Martin retires. I get the interest for the future, eventually replacing Martin, but do you give up quality assets for a player who isn't going to offer you much until 2 years into the future? I'm not sure he will want to go somewhere to be in the same situation he is in at Collingwood, playing second fiddle to a superior ruckman.

I don't get the Greenwood talk either.
Collingwood saw fit to acquire Greenwood from NM only 2 seasons ago, and now they are going to push him out the door? And they are going to return more than what they gave up to get him in the first place, despite him missing some footy and playing so poorly that they don't want him any more? I just don't get it. I think it's wishful thinking from some pies fans, nothing more. Greenwood ain't going anywhere.

In terms of value, Greenwood and Witts combined still unlikely to return a 1st rd pick IMO.
Would Campbell and Jong return a 1st rd pick? See what I mean?

Note: I don't believe Greenwood has been that bad at all. The pies fans who think he is on the chopping block must think he has

Good points.

Pies like the Dogs are overloaded with ordinary users. Dogs haven't contracted two of our poorer users in Jong and Stevens. I can see the Pies moving someone like Greenwood on.

Would I do a late first for Greenwood and Witts if I was the Dogs - nope. If I was GCS with the gaps in their list and the amount of picks they'll have, along with their retention and competitiveness issues - yeah I would do it for say P18.

Campbell/Jong v Greenwood/Witts is interesting. I'd have the latter as more valuable but not by as much as I first thought if that makes sense.

Yes. I was agreeing with you.

I don't get Brisbane giving up anything of real value for Witts, given that he will likely be waiting in the wings a while until Martin retires. I get the interest for the future, eventually replacing Martin, but do you give up quality assets for a player who isn't going to offer you much until 2 years into the future?

Depends on what Brisbane offer Witts in terms of amount and length of contract. Also depends what you mean by "quality assets". Josh Green could also be used in a trade.

In the event of a priority pick at #3, Brisbane will have #2, #3, #21, #29, #48 #57 #75 and #93 to possibly deal.

Good points.

Pies like the Dogs are overloaded with ordinary users. Dogs haven't contracted two of our poorer users in Jong and Stevens. I can see the Pies moving someone like Greenwood on.

Would I do a late first for Greenwood and Witts if I was the Dogs - nope. If I was GCS with the gaps in their list and the amount of picks they'll have, along with their retention and competitiveness issues - yeah I would do it for say P18.

Campbell/Jong v Greenwood/Witts is interesting. I'd have the latter as more valuable but not by as much as I first thought if that makes sense.
Does the Greenwood talk come from anywhere credible. As far as I know he is contracted for a further 2 years on reasonable coin so doubt he is going anywhere.

Yes. I was agreeing with you.

Depends on what Brisbane offer Witts in terms of amount and length of contract. Also depends what you mean by "quality assets". Josh Green could also be used in a trade.

In the event of a priority pick at #3, Brisbane will have #2, #3, #21, #29, #48 #57 #75 and #93 to possibly deal.
Witts, but only at the right price for Brisbane. I'm with you now :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Concerned about the Maric link. Witts destroyed him last time they played on each other and he is a year older and less mobile. Those suggesting Harvey obviously didn't look at his defensive efforts this year. The game has moved past him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Concerned about the Maric link. Witts destroyed him last time they played on each other and he is a year older and less mobile. Those suggesting Harvey obviously didn't look at his defensive efforts this year. The game has moved past him.

How many senior games would you expect Maric to play if you recruit him?

I would have thought he'd be an experienced backup option who would only get a look in should Grundy go down with injury.

For what little you'd have to give up for him I wouldn't be too concerned.

The right price MIGHT be Green and say #29 for Witts and Frost. That's if they get a priority pick.
Green will certainly have suitors at the right price. Not sure Collingwood will be one of them though. Not their biggest need, and considering the other business they are purported to be undertaking, may not have a lot of assets left to get a deal done

Are Close and Freeman still on your list? Collingwood need talls, and you probably don't need all of Hipwood/Schache/Close/Freeman as young KPFs.....

Close may be used a KPD in the future. We do need some depth in the KPF area. Green is willing to be traded. If Collingwood don't want him, then there obviously might need to be another club involved.

Good points.

Campbell is probably the worst number 1 ruck in AFL despite being mature aged and Jong is literally a nothing player. Greenwood is mediocre but Witts presents significant upside. Packaging campbell+Jong will net you a 3rd rounder at best. Witts is a pick in the 20s by himself.

Green will certainly have suitors at the right price. Not sure Collingwood will be one of them though. Not their biggest need, and considering the other business they are purported to be undertaking, may not have a lot of assets left to get a deal done
Have you even watched us? It's clear we need a small crumbing forward. Hine even said so on Monday night that we'd be looking everywhere for a small forward.

I honestly think Collingwood's off-season will be a lot less dramatic than reported.

Swan, Toovey, Macaffer gone, with Witts and Cloke likely to be traded. Neither will be big deals. Will be mid-range draft picks or a necessary player.

Someone like Mayne likely to be picked up just to add some experience back into the side.

Keeffe and Thomas likely to come back onto the list.

Perhaps a movement up the draft into the 1st round?

The list isn't old at all. A lot of the 'limited players' are 20-30th overall on the list anyway and are reasonable senior players for depth (i.e. Blair, Goldsack). The clean-out has happened. I can't foresee 9, 10 wholesale changes of senior players (i.e. Swan, Toovey, Macaffer, Witts, Cloke, Brown, Greenwood, Blair, Frost, Williams) like is being talked about.

Have you even watched us? It's clear we need a small crumbing forward. Hine even said so on Monday night that we'd be looking everywhere for a small forward.

Not really. Fasolo/Elliott (and to a lesser extent Broomhead) are more than capable of filling that role, we just need to get them on the park!

Let me rephrase this part. I don't get Brisbane giving up anything of real value for Witts, given that he will likely be waiting in the wings a while until Martin retires. I get the interest for the future, eventually replacing Martin, but do you give up quality assets for a player who isn't going to offer you much until 2 years into the future? I'm not sure he will want to go somewhere to be in the same situation he is in at Collingwood, playing second fiddle to a superior ruckman.

With the mass exodus from Brisbane lately, you'd imagine they'd go hard for a player of Witts' calibre who wanted to join them. Personally I hope we keep him, as I feel that many people are disregarding his talent and further potential. Ruckmen come to the fore when they grow into their massive frames, check out big Maxy Gawn over the past 18 months, where was he before that? Dominated the VFL in 2015 at age 23, before finally breaking into the team and establishing himself as the #1 ruck later that year. Witts will make a fool of us if we were to ship him out for chicken feed.

Back