Rumour The Rumour File - All the off-season mutterings with no base in reality

Remove this Banner Ad

It wouldn't surprised me if we off loaded some deadwood for late picks and then used them on some mature age players from across Australia. We need a few more mature heads within the list and, with this draft being so shallow, selecting some players from the VFL, WAFL, SANFL etc may be a direction the club goes in.

It wouldn't surprised me if we off loaded some deadwood for late picks and then used them on some mature age players from across Australia. We need a few more mature heads within the list and, with this draft being so shallow, selecting some players from the VFL, WAFL, SANFL etc may be a direction the club goes in.

Agree 100% with chasing a few mature-aged players, could be a good way to get a little hardness on our list and fasttrack our development!

Hopefully Neeld isn't ignorant of our list status either.

We have the youngest list in the competition bar the GC.
And we'll continue having the youngest list if we keep pensioning off anyone who reaches 30, and replenishing them with kids from the draft.

This youngest list crap has been Bailey Apologists crutch for poor performance. Youth doesn't excuse lack of effort or heart. GC may have copped there share of beltings, but I rarely saw them shirk an issue or throw in the towel.

You weren't watching them closely enough then, and in all probability critically enough.

Anyway, I never said it should be an excuse... simply that Neeld should be realistic with his goal setting.

It's unlikely we're going to turn into premiership contenders in the space of a pre-season.

And we'll continue having the youngest list if we keep pensioning off anyone who reaches 30, and replenishing them with kids from the draft.

Thankfully apart from Green we don't have anyone under question coming up this year or next.

Agreed, everyone is like dump green and Dunn....

Green on the vet list and Dunn = abit of biff

The HUN's commentary on our trade week position (says even less than the Age)..

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/what-your-club-is-up-to-in-trade-week/story-fn6cisdj-1226159465055

THE Demons have a reasonable first pick - 12 - and two first-round compensation selections for Tom Scully.

But they are known to believe they still have some growing to do before they throw the kitchen sink at an established star.

No point luring a 28-year-old if he is done and dusted when they are their real premiership window in three years.

Plenty of trade bait, but those mentioned this week - Cale Morton and Aussie Wonaeamirri - aren't necessarily among them.

Morton is re-signed and wants to stay, and Wonaeamirri has no currency elsewhere and would want to repay the club's loyalty in him after his recent trip home.

Tall defender Matthew Warnock is on record as saying he wants out, while Matthew Bate is contracted but surely would get more chances elsewhere.

Joel McDonald won't attract huge interest, but all of them could go at the right price.

It is boring, but the Dees seem intent on force-feeding games into their kids under new coach Mark Neeld.

Captain Brad Green is unsigned but that is only a formality. He will stay.

Disappointed that there's no mention of trying to secure a 17 y/o, but that said, pick 12 this year plus 3 first rounders next year should reap something decent.

I really want us to get Dan Connors from Richmond. He will be massively underpriced and if he can sort his $hit out will be a very good player.

There's the same amount of risk, or probably a lot less than us using our second round pick on a kid in a weak draft like this one.

Make it happen Neeld- scare the kid straight and watch him light up the half back line allowing Grimes to move into the mids.

Yep, solid article.

Jon Ralph is pretty good generally to be honest.

I still think we'll be looking very closely at the mini-draft, we'd be mad not to.

Even if that means keeping one pick and bidding one + a player for Crouch as the second pick or something.

I really want us to get Dan Connors from Richmond. He will be massively underpriced and if he can sort his $hit out will be a very good player.

There's the same amount of risk, or probably a lot less than us using our second round pick on a kid in a weak draft like this one.

Make it happen Neeld- scare the kid straight and watch him light up the half back line allowing Grimes to move into the mids.

Agree.

Connors for Bate?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree.

Connors for Bate?

Be interesting to know if the Tiges were keen on Bate. As third tall next to Riewoldt and Vickery he'd go alright I reckon- would be similar to the days when he was decent playing alongside Neitz and Robbo.

Would throw in 3rd or 4th rounder too if need be...

Who isnt Watts mates with? seems every player mentioned from that draft and the 09 one is "good mates with watts"

The fact that Watts & Lynch both played at Sandringham u18 would probably hold some merit in that they are mates

Like who??

Im talking for Warnock only.. I see it as a win/win. We wont be getting much for Warnock and id rather Setanta than a 3rd round draft pick.

Anyone.

Setanta will be 29 before next season starts, I'd rather keep Warnock. Or just trade him for a draft pick we won't use if they want to do the right thing & let him leave if he wants to

Even if it's a weak draft & we don't want any more kids out of it, surely we could find someone mature age (20-24, not 29) who's worth giving a shot, would much rather do that than take Setanta. Or from other clubs, just looking at the terrible list in the Age, Lisle from Hawthorn or Wilson from WC who I've mentioned before are guys I'd be happy to give a shot

Hi guys I know this is not really big news yet but my mate has advised that the mfc has contacted gc yesterday. Could not tell me what it was about directly as it was above his pay grade. He suspects it is common practice for clubs to call each other just before trade week to get a feel if what the other will be wanting/ doing. My feelings are that could have been regarding trying to accommodate warnocks request.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back