the Strikers

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair crowd there last night

Given it is a tier down from the elite level it's pretty amazing
Strikers have killed it and done what neither of our AFL clubs can do. They've created a prime time "occasion" time slot that now goes into everyone's calendar on 1 Jan.

They've made NYE their own and the tradition will continue to build - they own it. I understand it's a new competition and they have got in on the ground floor, backed by a league hungry to establish this type of event.

Still, you would think if the Strikers marketing consultant chucked in their CV to the AFC they might at least get an interview

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm kind of curious about the BBL phenomenon. This league is killing international cricket in terms of crowd support.

Is it the game ie 20/20 cricket?

Or is it that, as a country, we are now more familiar/ comfortable with a domestic national league eg AFL, NRL, A - League etc

Whatever it is - BBL is now the no1 cricket option in town

for me BBL is a refreshing format with it's knockabout commentary an all round entertainer.
listening to Gilly, Punter and Co. rib each other takes me back. I used to love the sledging.

I see it as the perfect complement to test cricket. We've had three gripping test matches on during the day plus the popcorn entertainment during the evening.

I hope T20 is the vehicle that gets youngsters interested in the game, and that initial interest grows into a love of the game. Once they start enjoying cricket then they will want more and as they get older will appreciate the subtleties and tension of a test match. You play checkers before you play chess.

Test cricket to a newcomer is a hard sell. T20 not so much - it's a movie or a football game in terms of time commitment.

I know traditionalists see T20 as a threat but I think it is something that can help sustain test cricket long term, helping to breed a new generation of cricket fans.

I'm kind of curious about the BBL phenomenon. This league is killing international cricket in terms of crowd support.

Is it the game ie 20/20 cricket?

Or is it that, as a country, we are now more familiar/ comfortable with a domestic national league eg AFL, NRL, A - League etc

Whatever it is - BBL is now the no1 cricket option in town

I think the family friendly pricing plays a big part too. $20 for adults and $5 to kids, and GA seating on level 5 compared to the extortionate prices they charge for international matches (and GA only being the hill) is seeing people flock to the BBL at the expense of international (noting both Strikers matches to date this season got more than the Australia v South Africa international).

I see it as the perfect complement to test cricket. We've had three gripping test matches on during the day plus the popcorn entertainment during the evening.

I hope T20 is the vehicle that gets youngsters interested in the game, and that initial interest grows into a love of the game. Once they start enjoying cricket then they will want more and as they get older will appreciate the subtleties and tension of a test match. You play checkers before you play chess.

Test cricket to a newcomer is a hard sell. T20 not so much - it's a movie or a football game in terms of time commitment.

I know traditionalists see T20 as a threat but I think it is something that can help sustain test cricket long term, helping to breed a new generation of cricket fans.
My wife went the other way, from a non cricket supporter to loving test cricket but not the bbl.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back