Media TiFmedia Presents: Choose Your Own... Committee!

Remove this Banner Ad

ZeHRhP9.png

13 clubs. 13 reps.

Who would YOU choose and why? :think:

Because let's face it, if we don't come up with something better f**king quick, Kennedy Parker is just going to dismantle the whole thing.​

Good challenge Mr TIF.

For many, the Sweet FA is in a Slumber. The Admin has had a fit of the vapours, taken to their chambers and dosed up on the stilling juice.

cinemax GIF by The Knick

The anodyne Committee has absented itself. Some are no doubt there for ego reasons that are a complete mystery. As a grouping they have the relevance of an ageing Masonic Lodge still trying to keep out the Irish.

Strange bow ties, reach around hand shakes and the like and one suspects a shared interest in ….

Alice In Wonderland Smoking GIF by The Good Films

S.34 has had one bright light. The 13th Club has been a welcome bonus with its clear identity and array of effective veteran and noob posters. Beyond the OOBs there is nothing to write home about.

Match thread quality is down. The terrible failure to solve the fixture is an indictment of the Committee and the Absentee Landlord…oops .. Admin.

The media beyond the Goose, TIF, WIGMedia and some decent reg threads on game data is lunar.

Worse, The Sweet is the poorer for the disappearance or near absence of many stalwart quality posters.

Now I am NOT blaming the desultory Admin or the quiescent Committee totally for the current malaise.

What makes a good Committee Member?

* Commitment to the health and future of the Comp.

* Leave the site persona at the door. (no WaynesWorld19 types please)

* Credibility beyond your own Club.

* Preparedness to do hard work.

* Experience as an active member of The Sweet for a minimum of five seasons.

* Have often debated and disagreed with the following diverse people but it seems to me they all are motivated by the health of the joint. For me they are role models for Committee member selection that each Club LG should bear in mind when selecting their Rep. Ned_Flanders Agent93 Barrybran Dingster

The anodyne Committee has absented itself. Some are no doubt there for ego reasons that are a complete mystery. As a grouping they have the relevance of an ageing Masonic Lodge still trying to keep out the Irish.
I think that's unfair on the people in there that are working hard to drive the league forward. There are some really clever people in there that are prepared to put in the work. That's not across the board, however.
S.34 has had one bright light. The 13th Club has been a welcome bonus with its clear identity and array of effective veteran and noob posters. Beyond the OOBs there is nothing to write home about.
Hard disagree - you've picked up on some impacts of this thirteenth club in the rest of your post.
Match thread quality is down. The terrible failure to solve the fixture is an indictment of the Committee and the Absentee Landlord…oops .. Admin.
Yeah like this ^
* Commitment to the health and future of the Comp.

* Leave the site persona at the door. (no @WaynesWorld19 types please)

* Credibility beyond your own Club.

* Preparedness to do hard work.

* Experience as an active member of The Sweet for a minimum of five seasons.

* Have often debated and disagreed with the following diverse people but it seems to me they all are motivated by the health of the joint. For me they are role models for Committee member selection that each Club LG should bear in mind when selecting their Rep. @Ned_Flanders @Agent93 @Barrybran @Dingster
Yeah the examples you've given were all good in committee (to varying levels). It is incumbent on clubs to choose reps that genuinely represent them and their interests as well as the interests of the league.

That several clubs have not (or cannot) brings into focus how thin on the ground the player base is, and despite the new club looking all shiny and interesting it has exposed the lack of depth in posters across the league. The obvious (but not only) solution is to go back to 12 clubs.

I think that the committee could benefit from having a neutral poster who has no active affiliations with the teams on board.
Someone who can act as a neutral party in disputes, with the power to break tied committee votes instead of the admin.

Of course, the difficult part is finding someone who's retired from active competition, yet willing to devote time to the board room...

I think that's unfair on the people in there that are working hard to drive the league forward. There are some really clever people in there that are prepared to put in the work. That's not across the board, however.

Hard disagree - you've picked up on some impacts of this thirteenth club in the rest of your post.

Yeah like this ^

Yeah the examples you've given were all good in committee (to varying levels). It is incumbent on clubs to choose reps that genuinely represent them and their interests as well as the interests of the league.

That several clubs have not (or cannot) brings into focus how thin on the ground the player base is, and despite the new club looking all shiny and interesting it has exposed the lack of depth in posters across the league. The obvious (but not only) solution is to go back to 12 clubs.

Thanks for your typically considered reply.

AFAIAC individual Committee Reps are there to advance the Comp as a whole as well as inevitably their Club’s interests. I am sure there are some members who are driven by growing the quality of the comp in a selfless manner.

Have no doubt there is lot of hard work being put in. But I expect the workers are in a minority. I agree it is beholden on each Club to nominate sensible, experienced and diligent reps.

As a whole however my doubts stand.

Yep you are right that some Clubs are struggling. As has happened in the past I think some posters have done the selfless thing in going to obviously struggling outfits - kudos Fridge, ND and Cadsky. The wheel turns.

I am not convinced reversion to 12 teams is the answer. I would really hate to see the Royals or Furies go.

Yep you are right that some Clubs are struggling. As has happened in the past I think some posters have done the selfless thing in going to obviously struggling outfits - kudos Fridge, ND and Cadsky. The wheel turns.
Will be interested to see how impactful these shifts (in context of this generation of the league) will be. It's going to be a lot harder when the league-wide active player base hasn't really grown for a while. Lots of spinning wheels.

Have no doubt there is lot of hard work being put in. But I expect the workers are in a minority. I agree it is beholden on each Club to nominate sensible, experienced and diligent reps.
I think clubs' capacity to do this is impacted necessarily by how active or healthy the club is in general. A club with a largely disengaged LG and player base (or a base that chooses not to care because that's cool for internet points) will evidently struggle to get good representation.

That doesn't just damage the club - it damages the league...

I am not convinced reversion to 12 teams is the answer. I would really hate to see the Royals or Furies go.
... which is why I think this is something to be considered. How long can we sustain 13 clubs when - to varying degrees - 3-4 are completely passive/inactive in the administration of the league?

As a whole however my doubts stand.
It's always good fun to bash the committee as a whole - it's been a thing for many seasons and I don't outright discourage it. But there are lots of people who have given up very real amounts of time and mental energy into making a positive contribution in there. These people are even in the committee room now.

Can the committee mix be better? Absolutely - but that's 100% on the clubs whose reps aren't pulling their weight. It's not my fault - despite my hard work - that other clubs have s**t reps. It's not KP's fault either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is too much beige on the Committee right now. We need people who look at things in absolutes:

Dragons: Pie 4 Life
Wonders: ClarkeM
Demons: Tarkyn_24
Gumbies: beez
Warriors: BEEG

Hmmn, here is my first tranche of selections. Am giving an alt (not a Bennie) as well.
Will be interested to see how impactful these shifts (in context of this generation of the league) will be. It's going to be a lot harder when the league-wide active player base hasn't really grown for a while. Lots of spinning wheels.

I think clubs' capacity to do this is impacted necessarily by how active or healthy the club is in general. A club with a largely disengaged LG and player base (or a base that chooses not to care because that's cool for internet points) will evidently struggle to get good representation.

That doesn't just damage the club - it damages the league...

... which is why I think this is something to be considered. How long can we sustain 13 clubs when - to varying degrees - 3-4 are completely passive/inactive in the administration of the league?

It's always good fun to bash the committee as a whole - it's been a thing for many seasons and I don't outright discourage it. But there are lots of people who have given up very real amounts of time and mental energy into making a positive contribution in there. These people are even in the committee room now.

Can the committee mix be better? Absolutely - but that's 100% on the clubs whose reps aren't pulling their weight. It's not my fault - despite my hard work - that other clubs have s**t reps. It's not KP's fault either.

Re your last two paras. Of course there would be some great members, past and present Who roll their sleeves up. Hoped I had acknowledged. Could have added yourself and TDC among the role model contributors. Apologies.

As ever better transparency of Committee doings would help. I have long supported regular summation of Cttee actions and decisions being reported on our Main Board. This I think would promote confidence and engagement and accountability.

Back on topic I am trying to assemble a dream team committee that responds to TIFs challenge.

Also I have not bagged individual members.

Hmmn, here is my first tranche of selections. Am giving an alt (not a Bennie) as well.

Re your last two paras. Of course there would be some great members, past and present Who roll their sleeves up. Hoped I had acknowledged. Could have added yourself and TDC among the role model contributors. Apologies.

As ever better transparency of Committee doings would help. I have long supported regular summation of Cttee actions and decisions being reported on our Main Board. This I think would promote confidence and engagement and accountability.

Back on topic I am trying to assemble a dream team committee that responds to TIFs challenge.

Also I have not bagged individual members.
I know you haven't targeted individuals but in this case I feel that's fairer than targeting the whole and bagging out the committee.

Hi TIF,
After very careful consideration and thought given to this request, I can confirm that as a rookie I have got nothing to give or add. :sadv1:

So, you have a nice day.:)
MrsT

Are my points about the need for transparency fair?
I see both sides to that. I don't think transparency was at all necessary 3-4 seasons back, because every club had a good contributor in the committee room.

As for now, I think there are clubs that are being poorly represented. Whose responsibility is it to identify and remedy that? Is it not reasonable to expect other LG members or list members to ask questions of their rep to see how things are going? Does transparency really fix anything to do with this?

I'm not so sure.

I think that the committee could benefit from having a neutral poster who has no active affiliations with the teams on board.
Someone who can act as a neutral party in disputes, with the power to break tied committee votes instead of the admin.

Of course, the difficult part is finding someone who's retired from active competition, yet willing to devote time to the board room...
Would you be interested in this role AceAndy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back