Media TIFmedia presents... Qooty Qlashbacks: State of Origin Edition - Episode 2

Remove this Banner Ad

0qeK5u7.png

5jYnzpN.png

Hello and welcome to this Qooty Qlashbacks Special.

I’m your host TheInjuryFactory, and today we will be taking another trip down memory lane, as we revisit one of the Sweet F.A’s classic encounters.

Today, we remember the thrilling Sweet F.A SoO Series IV Final featuring Western Australia v South Australia.

We spoke with current WA vice-captain Ljp86 for his recollections of his time as WA captain at the inception of the competition, and his earliest impressions of the Sweet F.A SoO concept.

I think there was a passion for the State of Origin concept back when it was around originally. While there wasn't as many people in the competition then as there is today, the interest and desire to have a competition was very much there. For those who were part of the competition, everyone was very much fiercely loyal to their state/side and there was a sense of "brotherhood" amongst the differing teams. Everyone who played State of Origin wanted to win and winning the competition was a real honour.

My experience was pretty good. We were a successful side, winning three carnivals in a row, two of which I was captain for. It was a really good team to be a part of, the WA side all knew each other relatively well and we all got along and had fun when we were playing. Having such a great amount of success back then made it even more enjoyable and it was just a good team to be around and a part of.

Series IV was a Round Robin tournament that year, with SA and WA squaring off as the 1 & 2 seeds, with the winner crowned State of Origin champions. The teams were both coming off big victories heading into the match, however in the end it would come down to their head to head clash to separate the two.

NyUbZAk.png

South Australia defeated Victoria by 41 points @ AAMI Stadium

The South Australians, led by captain loopy_cam, had a comfortable 41 point win over Victoria in rainy conditions at home. Just managing to keep their noses in front all day in a hard fought, contested game of wet weather qooty, a 4 goal final quarter sealed the victory. The SA midfield duo of ruck rover fantastic crows (21 touches, 6 tackles, 2 goals) and dominant ruckman crazy big al (15 hitouts, 22 touches, 1 goal) ensured midfield possession and allowed SA to win the territory war.

Match Report

South Australia 15.9.99
Victoria 9.4.58

Goals
South Australia:
loopy_cam 3, portentous 3, Carnport 2, fantastic crows 2, crazy big al 1, FattyLumpkin 1, Groove 1, KingCJ 1, SA Hawklett 1
Victoria: Team Mo’ 3, cormick 2, Bachar Houli 1, Gilbert_Hodge 1, Hawks 1523 1, Monkster 1

Best
South Australia:
fantastic crows, crazy big al, KingCJ, FattyLumpkin
Victoria: Gilbert_Hodge, Doggiesin08, Fred, Team Mo’

ArSUbrA.png

Allies defeated by Western Australia by 53 points @ The Gabba

While Western Australia, led once again by then skipper and current WA vice-captain Ljp86, defeated the Allies by 53 points in a rematch of the Series III decider at the Gabba. On a rainy afternoon, a 9 goal to 2 second half saw WA defeat the combined side for the 2nd time in as many matches. Led by a best on performance from midfielder estibador (24 touches, 6 tackles, 5 goals) supplied by a dominant boncer34 (15 hitouts, 22 disposals, 5 tackles) who was too good around the ground for his opposite ruck, WA cruised into favouritism for their second cup in as many series.

Match Report

Allies 10.6.66
Western Australia 18.11.119

Goals
Allies:
ssfc0203 4, diablo14 2, Jabso 1, Magpie_girl13 1, Metallica Man 1, sausageroll 1, TFLUA-Tiger 1
Western Australia: estibador 5, boncer34 2, Keyser Soze 2, Wally 2, Cheetah 1, lyall 1, peterss 1, Quinzate1 1, reggie 1, Shadow Man 1, YOTC 1,

Best
Allies:
diablo14, sausageroll, PVF, TFLUA-Tiger
Western Australia: estibador, boncer34, Cheetah, Shadow Man

Last edited:
KJzlzsK.png

In a controversial build up to the big game, the fuse was lit early in the week, as an explosive press conference featuring WA’s peterss saw the midfielder strike the first blow in the battle.

WA to keep on winning in SoO: Peterss
Sandgropers midfielder Peterss has today made a statement at the WA press conference at Subiaco this afternoon stating that his side will dominate against what Peterss described as the "inbreds" from South Australia.

"Us Gropers absolutely love SoO and our record of late in this competition speak for itself we all lift and haven't been beaten for some time and i can see this continuing against the Inbreds from South Australia....They call themselves a state? We are by far the better state to live in and have the better players and this game will prove it"

As if that wasn’t enough, in one of the more bizarre incidents in Sweet F.A State of Origin history, WA’s ruck rover estibador sensationally retired the week of the match. After almost singlehandedly putting WA into the decider with a best on ground performance, racking up 24 touches and a bag of 5 goals against the Allies the week prior, in what can only be described as perhaps the most unprecedented decision in the history of the competition.

As skipper, Ljp recalled his memories of the incident from his perspective.

We were short a few players for the squad that season and needed a couple of extra players to ensure we had some emergencies in case players got suspended or injured*. Estibador put his hand up to play in order to help out, we had him as an emergency but he got a late reprieve just before the game (late change style) and slotted straight into the midfield.

In the end, he had 24 disposals, kicked five goals and was the best player on the ground. Not only that, we flogged the Allies by 53 points. After that game, he promptly retired in order to preserve his average. I was hoping he'd play out the series in the remaining games but he decided to retire instead. He more than likely would have stayed in the midfield for the remainder of the series given his exploits in the game against the Allies.
* (the sim has an injury function which you can turn on and players can get injured during a game – Ljp86)

An impressive South Australia went into the match unchanged, riding a wave of confidence after easily dispatching Victoria on their home deck.

With esti’s sudden retirement, WA made just the one forced change, with Tarkyn_24 coming off the bench and into middle, while emergency Caffeinated Mop took his place on the interchange.

qRWDDga.png

The West Aussies drew first blood at Subiaco, as they put the first 3 goals on the board before South Australia registered a score, with two goals to YOTC and another through Quinzate1. In a seesawing contest, South Australia settled and edged in front at the 15 minute mark, as some heroics from their captain loopy_cam up front saw the skipper lead the way with two first quarter goals. However WA regained the ascendancy late, as big Full Forward YOTC scored two quick majors, taking his tally up to 4 goals at quarter time, as WA took a slender one goal lead into the second quarter.

Western Australia 6.5.41
South Australia 5.2.32

2jmnwpQ.png

Keysor Soze was dominant down back for WA to early in the second quarter, as he repelled entry after entry as the South Aussies peppered the goals in the first 5 minutes. In what became an arm wrestle, both sides traded goals for the remainder of the quarter with influential SA skipper loopy_cam adding another major, and YOTC adding his 5th for the half, with just 3 points in it at the major break.

Western Australia 10.10.70
South Australia 10.7.67

gOGcDhh.png

A sluggish SA were caught napping after the main break, as a dominant WA, courtesy of a rucking masterclass from boncer34 slammed on 5 unanswered goals in the first ten minutes, as they opened up a 35 point lead. A short lived fight back saw SA goal through their skipper, but that was all they could muster against the play. In what was becoming a performance for the ages, a herculean boncer34 continued to give WA’s midfield silver service, and even took to finishing his own work off, nailing two successive goals as WA stretched their lead to 48 points at the 15 minute mark. Every SA goal was matched by the powerful WA forwards, and when Quinzate1 put home his fourth, he took WA’s tally to 20, as a 10 goal to 2 premiership quarter completely broke the game open.

Western Australia 20.14.134
South Australia 12.11.83

JqSSoyu.png

Big WA forward YOTC was putting on a clinic, as the WA spearhead put his 9th on the board inside the first 5 minutes. A captain’s goal from loopy_cam at the 7 minute mark sparked SA into life, however they were unable to capitalise on the scoreboard, but they did manage to stem the flow at the other end as they held WA goalless into time on. When WA forced a turnover from a kick out at the 21 minute mark, clever WA forward Quinzate1 swooped, and pumped home the sealer from outside 50m as he put home number 5 for the day. Subiaco erupted, as WA players and fans alike began celebrating their back to back championships in style.

FINAL SCORE

Western Australia 24.25.169
South Australia 16.13.109

Goals
Western Australia:
YOTC 10, Quinzate1 5, boncer34 3, reggie 2, curry23 1, HawkPatrol 1, lyall 1, peterss 1
South Australia: loopy_cam 5, MannumPower 2, blackdiamond 1, cros88 1, fantastic 1, FattyLumpkin 1, Macca19 1, Mad Dog 1, Portentous 1, SA Hawkette 1

Best

Western Australia:
YOTC, boncer34, Quinzate1, Tarkyn_24, peterss
South Australia: loopy_cam, Macca19, MannumPower, Cros88, fantastic

Voting
3. YOTC (WA)
2. Quinzate1 (WA)
1. lyall (WA)

Kbe65Vf.png

exEzaK9.png

Another fantastic win. YOTC was brilliant up forward, kicking ten goals and weas ably supported by Quinz with five and Boncer kicking three.

Midfield ran riot in that third quarter with Cheetah, Tarks, Wally, peterss and Boncer getting plenty of the ball. This was backed up by the half-forwards with lyall and Quinz also having quite a few disposals. Even curry23 had 11 posessions in the forward pocket. Defence was a decent all-round effort with the game being a high scoring, FiveStrings once again marshalled the troops down back.

A great win with the last fixture being sometime next week. Must win the last one to go back-to-back.

Go Western Australia!!

pIEW31H.png

Well done to the WA boys.

We played well but dropped off badly in the third quarter. Their power forwards were definitely the difference in the end. I'm pretty sure Toots didn't turn up. Or if he did he had consumed a dangerous amount of alcohol. But sometimes you just have to sit back and admire a champion performance. Well done by YOTC. Ten ****ing goals. ****.

Bad luck SA. Next Year we'll be champions again.

Ljp86 remembers the match well 10 years on, as he shared with us the behind the scenes details of just what a unique series that Series IV became.

That game against South Australia I remember pretty well. We defeated the Allies by 53 points in round one and then belted South Australia by 10 goals in round two. The administrator at the time, TFLUA_Tiger, had to stop the competition as it had overrun into the allocated time for the new SFA season. In the end, Western Australia were named the winners as we had comprehensively demolished both opponents in the first two rounds and were scheduled to play Victoria in the last round who were winless and have copped a beating from South Australia in the first round.

He has fond memories of those early WA sides and the success they enjoyed together, as he recalled some of his favourite players from those early days.

There's a few. Boncer34 would be the standout, boncer was always a good ally to have on your side. There was also Tarkyn_24, wce_all_da_way, YOTC, HawkPatrol, peterss, Miguel Sanchez and Shadow Man. Those guys were definitely the main people in the side early on. Quinz, lyall and Keys were also around too.

Then a few more newer posters starting to play, Biggie, Mr Eagle and a few more as well.

There was certainly some enjoyable times back then and it was a fun time to be part of the WA side, particularly when you're winning games by 10 goals. The aim for us now though is to get back to that sort of form we were showing in the early State of Origin series and rise again as a force at representative level.

Well, thank you for joining us as we relived the unique first Round Robin style SoO carnival of the Sweet F.A featuring the highest scoring shootout in a Sweet F.A SoO final, with Western Australia winning the most memorable match between the two sides in their history, crowned the eventual winners of the fourth Sweet F.A State of Origin series going back to back with wins in both Series III & IV.

Join us next week for another installment of Qooty Qlashbacks – State of Origin edition, as we relive another memorable Sweet F.A State of Origin epic!

Last edited:
Love this historical stuff, some cool names fronting up back in the day.

Love this historical stuff, some cool names fronting up back in the day.
Yeah obviously thanks to the efforts of many people over the years it's great to have such a well documented, rich history of the competition.

I know posters like Hate, Broken, Ljp86, Mobbs himself, Ant Bear (forgive me those I've missed) have poured hours and hours into record keeping and maintaining the statistical history of the competition, and they always appear to make themselves and their time available to people interested and willing to dive in. I know you are keen on the history and are taking whatever steps you can to assist which is quality.

Would be great to entice some of those old names back, a lot of familiar posters still actively engaged in BF when you look back at the early days.

Yeah obviously thanks to the efforts of many people over the years it's great to have such a well documented, rich history of the competition.

I know posters like Hate, Broken, Ljp86, Mobbs himself, Ant Bear (forgive me those I've missed) have poured hours and hours into record keeping and maintaining the statistical history of the competition, and they always appear to make themselves and their time available to people interested and willing to dive in. I know you are keen on the history and are taking whatever steps you can to assist which is quality.

Would be great to entice some of those old names back, a lot of familiar posters still actively engaged in BF when you look back at the early days.

It's one of my favourite things about this league. I could personally recognise and talk about every single Bears player from our first stint from Season 5 to 7. The sheer weight of history and statistics, and the amazing work done to uphold it, is one of the cornerstones of the league. The fact we know who our club's past heroes are, and exactly what they did, goes a long way to instilling a sense of pride in a fantasy team on an internet forum.

Great work, TheInjuryFactory. Always fun to look back on past games and reminisce. We certainly had some good times back then, alongside some great people and some very good wins, being around the squad was a lot of fun. :thumbsu:

Great fun looking back at things and hopefully we can get back to our best in the State of Origin series soon. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great work, TheInjuryFactory. Always fun to look back on past games and reminisce. We certainly had some good times back then, alongside some great people and some very good wins, being around the squad was a lot of fun. :thumbsu:

Great fun looking back at things and hopefully we can get back to our best in the State of Origin series soon. :thumbsu:
Thanks for making yourself available Ljp :thumbsu:

Looking forward to the next State of Origin series already mate, be good to get the gang back together after S27 and go again.

I love the concept, will look to be a big supporter in whatever capacity I can and I'll be pushing hard for it again next season. I think it's been a roaring success. :fire:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back