Recommitted Tim Kelly [requested a trade to West Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Where do Cats fans see Kelly rated amongst the best players. He is undoubtedly a gun, but do you see him in that top bracket of midfielders such as the Fyfe's, Cripp's and Bontempelli's. Now, this is just as a casual observer but he does seem to perform significantly worse when the team performs poorly, the last two weeks for example.

I'd have him about the 10th best midfielder inthe comp and would take Cripps, Bont, Fyfe, Shuey, Coniglio, Kelly (GWS), Dangerfield, Martin (in no particular order) all ahead of him if I had a game tomorrow without even thinking.

Please understand that nothing we say or do on here has any impact on the value of players. I have no motive in downplaying Kelly's value since it makes no difference. I just want to genuinely see where Cats fans rate him in that top bracket

Where do Cats fans see Kelly rated amongst the best players. He is undoubtedly a gun, but do you see him in that top bracket of midfielders such as the Fyfe's, Cripp's and Bontempelli's. Now, this is just as a casual observer but he does seem to perform significantly worse when the team performs poorly, the last two weeks for example.

I'd have him about the 10th best midfielder inthe comp and would take Cripps, Bont, Fyfe, Shuey, Coniglio, Kelly (GWS), Dangerfield, Martin (in no particular order) all ahead of him if I had a game tomorrow without even thinking.

Please understand that nothing we say or do on here has any impact on the value of players. I have no motive in downplaying Kelly's value since it makes no difference. I just want to genuinely see where Cats fans rate him in that top bracket

He’s definitely AA this year. Been our best player and mid this year. But the answer is subjective and depends how you rate players with longevity behind them.eg dusty has done fk all this year but I still rate him as one of the best in the game.

Would say there is a top echelon of dusty fyfe danger bont Josh Kelly. A gap and then A group like Coniglio Neale Pendlebury etc and I’d put him in that category. Ie the second group of elite mids. The first are future hall of famers and generational players. Now I’m terms of value in a trade, you need to consider age. Kelly is 24 entering his prime. Just as Pendlebury would at 24, Coniglio etc (and like the treloar trade) value is 2 x R1s for these types... maybe some change thrown back depending on the first pick number but west coasts would be mid teens so certainly nothing would be thrown back to them. If Freos first pick is top 5 or so then we’d prob throw something back

He’s definitely AA this year. Been our best player and mid this year. But the answer is subjective and depends how you rate players with longevity behind them.eg dusty has done fk all this year but I still rate him as one of the best in the game.

Would say there is a top echelon of dusty fyfe danger bont Josh Kelly. A gap and then A group like Coniglio Neale Pendlebury etc and I’d put him in that category. Ie the second group of elite mids. The first are future hall of famers and generational players. Now I’m terms of value in a trade, you need to consider age. Kelly is 24 entering his prime. Just as Pendlebury would at 24, Coniglio etc (and like the treloar trade) value is 2 x R1s for these types... maybe some change thrown back depending on the first pick number but west coasts would be mid teens so certainly nothing would be thrown back to them. If Freos first pick is top 5 or so then we’d prob throw something back
I dont think we'd get something back for pick 5 to be honest.

The whole two firsts thing just causes confusion on here, pick 18 for two years is not worth pick 5 on its own. Value for the Kelly bracket does seem to be a top 10 pick with another first downgrade depending on where it lands

His best games are pretty well as good as anyone on that list and I think the thing to take away from your comment here is that when Tim plays badly the cats lose. He has pretty well individually carried us over the line for a good few wins this year. My personal feeling is that without him we'd be finishing where the pundits had us at the start of the year, battling for 8th. That's an impact on the game you put a value on.

Is he going to have the same impact next year? I don't know but I can tell you unlike the players you mentioned this is only his second year at an afl club and is I think maybe the third youngest of that group. I think his impact gets better from here.

I agree with you, the players you've listed all have elite skills and a lot of special ability, are mostly tall or incredibly quick. I'd put him ahead of Shuey and Cogs but behind the rest.

I agree with you, the players you've listed all have elite skills and a lot of special ability, are mostly tall or incredibly quick. I'd put him ahead of Shuey and Cogs but behind the rest.
Where does longevity come in? Kelly’s year might be better than any individual year Shuey has had, but Shuey has put in more than five top years to Kelly’s two (and his year last year wasn’t better than Shuey’s best).

I dont think we'd get something back for pick 5 to be honest.

The whole two firsts thing just causes confusion on here, pick 18 for two years is not worth pick 5 on its own. Value for the Kelly bracket does seem to be a top 10 pick with another first downgrade depending on where it lands

I think 2 first is if it isn't a high pick...

TBH I can't see Geelong looking at Darcy, a ruck seems the last thing they need.

Man, that is simply untrue. We are desperate for a good ruckman. Stanley is basically trash with the occasional hint of good form. Not saying Darcy is the answer, or that the club wants him.... but: if Geelong had a ruckman like Grundy or Gawn, I think we win the flag in a canter.

Man, that is simply untrue. We are desperate for a good ruckman. Stanley is basically trash with the occasional hint of good form. Not saying Darcy is the answer, or that the club wants him.... but: if Geelong had a ruckman like Grundy or Gawn, I think we win the flag in a canter.

I would do anything to get Grundy. Will never happen but jeez, Geelongs midfield would be absolutely terrifying with him as ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Put this in the Hill thread..

Geelong get: Dogs 1st and Freos 2nd pick
Dockers get: Kelly
Dogs get: B Hill

Dogs give up a first and get Hill
Freo give up Hill and a second and get Kelly
Geelong give up Kelly and get Dogs first and Freos 2nd

Should be a good starting point. We would look to make it a 2020 first but the cats would prob tell us it has to be this years...

Probably rate him the same as Shuey, very similar players

Dogs are currently 3 spots above Freo.

Assuming Freo had picks 6 and 9, I don't think Geelong would be happy with 9 and 24. If it came to it I don't think Freo would be happy to give up Hill and and a 1st to get Kelly.

It's a stretch to call it an advantage but if WC have pick 15 and 23 and a future first then that's what we have. Not like we've got pick 5 hidden in a drawer or anything. If Freo end up with 6, 9, 24 I imagine Geelong would go straight for 6 and 9, then 6 and a future 1st, then 9 and a future 1st... etc.

can freo fans tell me what has happened to adam cerra? he had some nice games last year but this year i havent seen him do anything

What is Shuey worth in a trade?

He is under contract and not up for trade but I would have thought he's worth a fair bit less than some of the proposed trades for Kelly. He is 29 now but I don't think he would've netted us two firsts in 2015.
i think he'd get 2 firsts for a team thats trying to contend right away, theres no way hes worth less than bryce gibbs

I don't think any team except Adelaide does that trade and they are regretting doing it now.
lets say that the cats get 2 firsts for kelly, i think theyd offer thier own first and the lesser of the 2 they get for kelly for Shuey. this trade would never happen but i think they'd do it if it was offered to them by the eagles

do you rate him or brayshaw or more?
Different sort of players. I would need to see Cerra in his favoured position before I said anything. He has been chucked around everywhere and has had the odd good performance in amongst some disappointing ones. . Brayshaw is a hard nut and has shown some good signs but his kicking is inferior to his junior days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back