Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neddy1

Team Captain
Sep 27, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
If we are going to shop Tom Gillies around we need the other clubs to see this.

Especially Steve Silvagni and Scott Clayton

What were Hawthorn offering for him last year? I don't think we could expect anything more than a third round pick unfortunately given his struggles to break into the seniors this year.

Don't forget there's now for certain at least one spot in the backline available. With Wocjinski possibly gone two that's two regular senior players (or replacements) gone. If they keep him he could easily see more senior footy next year.

Don't forget there's now for certain at least one spot in the backline available. With Wocjinski possibly gone two that's two regular senior players (or replacements) gone. If they keep him he could easily see more senior footy next year.

True, but Balme was talking up Mitch Brown as Scarlett's long term replacement in the backline this morning. In any case it'll be extremely hard for Brown to get a gig in the forward line with Pods, Hawkins, Vardy and potentially Kersten competing for spots next season and it the club seems to have decided his best chance of becoming a regular AFL player is down back.

True, but Balme was talking up Mitch Brown as Scarlett's long term replacement in the backline this morning. In any case it'll be extremely hard for Brown to get a gig in the forward line with Pods, Hawkins, Vardy and potentially Kersten competing for spots next season and it the club seems to have decided his best chance of becoming a regular AFL player is down back.

Yeah that's a fair point you make. The way the clubs work nowadays, they might even have a weight measurement Brown needs to hit before they'll play him forward. Unless it's as a floating half forward, as he does have amazing agility for his size. It's going to be quite intriguing how they play Brown and Vardy next year (Vardy could easily play 20 games as a ruckman or a forward, so be quite curious to see how it pans out).

Either way, I'd be surprised if they dump Gillies with no reward. They've spent 4 years training him, both West and Lonergan were still playing seconds at the same point. And Gillies has never looked as bad as Lonergan initially did.

The club convinced Gillies to stay last year, citing Scarlett's pending retirement as one factor in their decision. Even though everyone would've hoped Tom had come on a bit more, it would be strange in a way for him to be packing his bags the month Scarlo retires. While ite easy to say delist or trade him, part of me would love to see him play next year, and be given a run of games to get some confidence and feel as though he belongs at senior level. To me he has done ok when called upon, but has had some bad days in the vfl, though it's worth noting he's often playing against seasoned vfl players, in a defence comprising an ex-basketballer, and young bucks in eardley bews hamling etc, which can't be that easy for him.

Really think the next two weeks will make or break him, has the chance in ( hopefully ) two big games to stand up and make a name for himself. Let's hope he does well, if only to increase his trade currency if nothing else. If he puts in some shockers id say it's the end for him in the hoops.

I assume he is out of contract (when Hawthorn were looking at him last year it was mentioned he had 1 year to go on his contract), so if he wants to leave he can't stop him.

How many senior games did he play this year? Not many. I think he can see the writing on the wall. More opportunities elsewhere would be very tempting.

IMO (which counts for F all) if we could package him up with our third round pick and in return we get a second round pick, I'd say everyone's a winner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't see us getting much for him, think we'd be better off giving him a one year deal and seeing if he can do anything than just throwing him to the scrapheap.

Different players I know but Guthrie was clearly our next best defender this year, he's probably the one who goes straight in next year.

Can't see us getting much for him, think we'd be better off giving him a one year deal and seeing if he can do anything than just throwing him to the scrapheap.

Different players I know but Guthrie was clearly our next best defender this year, he's probably the one who goes straight in next year.

Totally agree. As far as I'm concerned he's in our starting 22 right now.

I without a doubt trade/delist Gillies. He's not good enough and if we are that desperate to replace Scarlett with a mature defender I'd rather pick up Rivers.

I without a doubt trade/delist Gillies. He's not good enough and if we are that desperate to replace Scarlett with a mature defender I'd rather pick up Rivers.
Totally agree. He has had enough time, if he was any good he would of played more games. Trade him off and get Sully I say.

I was perplexed as to why they didn't at least see what was on the table last year with Hawthorn when they were interested in him. They shut up shop on trading him pretty early, so I figured they had plans of putting plenty of work into him and hoped to see him come on... But sadly he delivered what I had expected and now we are left with a list clogger who has no value at all come trade time seeing that he is out of contract. Probably the only list management issue I could poke a hole in over the past decade so that's a pretty good average

Not many players get the time Gillies has had to prove themselves. I don't think we are light on for backs at all. Taylor, lonergan, brown, walker, Bathie, hamling. That's plenty. Few on here have said it before and I totally agree can see Walker following in Lonergans footsteps and be moved down back.

Totally agree. He has had enough time, if he was any good he would of played more games. Trade him off and get Sully I say.

Sully would have to nominate for the draft before "any club" could make an attempt to get him.

Not many players get the time Gillies has had to prove themselves. I don't think we are light on for backs at all. Taylor, lonergan, brown, walker, Bathie, hamling. That's plenty. Few on here have said it before and I totally agree can see Walker following in Lonergans footsteps and be moved down back.

I have thought much the same re: Walker. My only concern is that of his kicking.

I would like to see one or two more med/tall defenders of Enright size come through rather than having a stack of 195ish to 198cm giants. We need to be able to control the opposition small forwards too.

Guthrie will take the place of Wojo who will probably retire; Gillies might just be a slow developer; we can afford to give him one more year to see if he can lift to the level that is needed - otherwise cut him loose at the end of next year if he doesn't develop

Guthrie will take the place of Wojo who will probably retire; Gillies might just be a slow developer; we can afford to give him one more year to see if he can lift to the level that is needed - otherwise cut him loose at the end of next year if he doesn't develop

I doubt that he would be interested in a one year deal and would probably want to look elsewhere anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back