News Tom Jonas sole captain for 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

My point exactly, it’s not like he’s a free agent end of 2020 so there isn’t a need to establish his worth. 12 months into a 4 year deal which made him our highest paid player.
You guys are dead set wrong. It can absolutely happen. Not saying it did, but not willing to crucify him so quickly as some here on what little we know!

These managers and list people meet all the time. They have stables of players at various clubs. Could easily go down like this....

Manager: I have player X and Y that you might be interested in. They are not getting games at Club A, and will be available... Where are you guys at?
Carlton List Guy: Well we might be interested in player X, but player Y we have covered. What we really are interested in its some extra midfield grunt. Where is Ollie at down at Port?
Manager: Well he is going ok and looks like his shoulder will be fine. Had a shocker of a year though, as has the club, so he hasn't been a happy camper the last few months.
Carlton List Guy: Where is he at with this co-captains crap? Has been a debacle looking on from the outside, could we tempt him to walk?
Manager: Anyone can be tempted if the price is right! Give me some possible figures and I will sound him out on it
Carlton List Guy: OK sure.Get back to me on it, add Wines to our midfield, and will have one of the best in the league!
Manager: OK. I'll get back to you by next week.

Manager:..... so what do you reckon Ollie?
Ollie: Tell them to get stuffed! I want to be wearing the #1 on my jumper in the next two years at Port!

Carlton List Guy: Yes Ollie's name was brought up in discussions
Port Fans: Port supporters descend on Alberton with lynch ropes, burning Ollie Wines effigies out front of Allan Scott headquarters!

BF Port Board: Who the hell knows what happened, but let's lynch the barstard anyway!

Last edited:
Almost everyone tests the waters at some point so it’s probably not worth getting all bent out of shape over it.

Also Ollie will need to play close to his best this year if he wants another club to pay him anywhere near what we currently are, so even if he does want out we will likely benefit from it in terms of on-field results and trade capital.

Not fussed either way to be honest.

You guys are dead set wrong. It can absolutely happen. Not saying it did, but not willing to crucify him so quickly as some here on what little we know!

These managers and list people meet all the time. They have stables of players at various clubs. Could easily go down like this....

Manager: I have player X and Y that you might be interested in. They are not getting games at Club A, and will be available... Where are you guys at?
Carlton List Guy: Well we might be interested in player X, but player Y we have covered. What we really are interested in its some extra midfield grunt. Where is Ollie at down at Port?
Manager: Well he is going ok and looks like his shoulder will be fine. Had a shocker of a year though, as has the club, so he hasn't been a happy camper the last few months.
Carlton List Guy: Where is he at with this co-captains crap? Has been a debacle looking on from the outside, could we tempt him to walk?
Manager: Anyone can be tempted if the price is right! Give me some possible figures and I will sound him out on it
Carlton List Guy: OK sure.Get back to me on it, add Wines to our midfield, and will have one of the best in the league!

Ollie: Tell them to get stuffed! I want to be wearing the #1 on my jumper in the next two years at Port!

Port Fans: Port supporters descend on Alberton with lynch ropes, burning Ollie Wines effigies out front of Allan Scott headquarters!

BF Port Board: Who the hell knows what happened, but let's lynch the barstard anyway!
What your suggesting is completely different to what happens with Wines, you’re suggesting Carlton asked us about him where as his Manager approached them. They are two very, very different scenarios.

“It (the trade rumours) doesn’t need to be addressed. Ollie had nothing to do with that personally. He’s 100% committed to the club, he’s got years to play on his contract.

“(If) you rock up to the club and see the way he goes about it and the way he talks about the club, you know he’s fully committed to Port Adelaide so it’s not a worry for us.”

So it was just his manager ringing around to see what was out there and try to drive up his price ala Howard.
"So it was just his manager ringing around to see what was out there" This whole fiasco is not merely a case of just his manager ringing around.

The weasel words that Ollie hadn't personally done the asking seems like corporate speak Jonas was handed by our spin doctors.

No matter how hard this turd is polished it still stinks.

believe so, an Uncle

Regardless of which family member it may have been, why does someone in their mid 20's need others in his family to get involved in his professional life?

There are virtually only two ways to spin it, ie he either has a number of interfering relatives who won't let go, or he is still immature and needs them to organise some aspects of his life, and I suspect it may be a bit of both.

Regardless of which family member it may have been, why does someone in their mid 20's need others in his family to get involved in his professional life?

There are virtually only two ways to spin it, ie he either has a number of interfering relatives who won't let go, or he is still immature and needs them to organise some aspects of his life, and I suspect it may be a bit of both.

Or it was done to keep distance from the approach. Plausible deniability is what they were aiming for.

An approach like that wouldn't be done without the player's instruction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeahhh thats not what the rumours are though.

Carlton's side of the story is that his manager went up to Carlton and asked them to make a play for him (presumably because he wants out). Carlton said sorry they didn't have the currency for him currently as they were tied up in other trades and it would take 2 first rounders to pull him out at least.

PORT ADELAIDE young gun Connor Rozee has thrown his full support behind newly appointed captain Tom Jonas, saying he is “definitely the right man for the job”.
Rozee who is embarking on his second pre-season at the senior level, says one captain was the best decision for Port Adelaide moving forward.
“Obviously I’ve only been here for 12 months, so it’s hard to gauge things 100 per cent,” Rozee said on SEN Melbourne with Nick Dal Santo and Jack Heverin on Tuesday morning.
“I think Tommy (Jonas) is definitely the right man for the job at this stage - Ollie (Wines) did a terrific job last year, but I think it was hard for him not being able to be out on the park as much as he would’ve liked.

“At this stage, I think the best position for the club was one captain going forward, and Tommy was definitely the man ready for that.”

“Behind the scenes, he is a pretty laid-back character - he can get pretty aggressive on the field, he’s a pretty stern bloke.
“But off the field, he’s pretty quiet. He likes to get around the young boys, which is good. He sets really high standards at training.”

When the going gets tough the tough go wakeboarding
Yeah. Like that crucial snap at goal in the Showdown...

I did say 'generally' :D

His year before the big contract extension was his best

I also re-call Timmy G revving him up publicly last year and having a nice game that weekend

I stand by my statement

Why? Managers will always ring around other clubs to get a feel of the buying temperature for the players in their stable. They are getting 10% of the player's contract price. Trade period is when they put the feelers out for who is interested and how much they are interested for - it was the same thing with Fantasia this year.
His manager added fuel to the fire of him losing his captaincy if this is true...

Meaning a paycut

Yep it's a fantastic pic, we get that and we also get that you and others are in his corner.

Those of us who openly Q whether it's a good choice don't therefore wish him ill or want Port to do badly next year.

We're Port tragics hurting because for however many years we've been served up mediocrity and those responsible have not

been made accountable. Tough league, battling club and some-one's gotta lose are cop outs.

The number of recent posters who've suddenly appeared spouting an argument that if your not with this mediocrity your not Port

is mischievous bollocks. Muddy the waters all you want the facts are we've been ordinary for too long and for some enough is enough.

If our crowds are down next year, as seems likely, the reason just might be that those entrusted to lead our club have dropped the ball.

The fans are not the problem and whats more they're not stupid.

Almost everyone tests the waters at some point so it’s probably not worth getting all bent out of shape over it.

Also Ollie will need to play close to his best this year if he wants another club to pay him anywhere near what we currently are, so even if he does want out we will likely benefit from it in terms of on-field results and trade capital.

Not fussed either way to be honest.

Ultimately it would just really sting to have another guy not fulfil his early potential at Port. There was a time that Wingard and Wines were going to lead us to success for years to come. To see both of them leave while we continue to rebuild would be a real kick in the guts.

Ultimately it would just really sting to have another guy not fulfil his early potential at Port. There was a time that Wingard and Wines were going to lead us to success for years to come. To see both of them leave while we continue to rebuild would be a real kick in the guts.

It’s an indictment on the current regime. This might be an unpopular opinion but I think we should consider sacking a few heads.

Yep it's a fantastic pic, we get that and we also get that you and others are in his corner.

Those of us who openly Q whether it's a good choice don't therefore wish him ill or want Port to do badly next year.

We're Port tragics hurting because for however many years we've been served up mediocrity and those responsible have not

been made accountable. Tough league, battling club and some-one's gotta lose are cop outs.

The number of recent posters who've suddenly appeared spouting an argument that if your not with this mediocrity your not Port

is mischievous bollocks. Muddy the waters all you want the facts are we've been ordinary for too long and for some enough is enough.

If our crowds are down next year, as seems likely, the reason just might be that those entrusted to lead our club have dropped the ball.

The fans are not the problem and whats more they're not stupid.
He is not my first choice of captain but I'm more than prepared to give him a go as the sole front man rather that spending the next six months bitching about this appointment, some people will only be happy if Tom doesn't go well at the gig as it will appease their own hopes and/or belief that he will fail.
I'm more than happy to have all the negative stuff thrown towards KH and DK as they are proven failures.

The good thing about Ollie is when real pressure is applied he generally plays his best

Should have a few points to prove

uhhhhhh, what? I have never seen that trait in him at all.

PORT ADELAIDE young gun Connor Rozee has thrown his full support behind newly appointed captain Tom Jonas, saying he is “definitely the right man for the job”.
Rozee who is embarking on his second pre-season at the senior level, says one captain was the best decision for Port Adelaide moving forward.
“Obviously I’ve only been here for 12 months, so it’s hard to gauge things 100 per cent,” Rozee said on SEN Melbourne with Nick Dal Santo and Jack Heverin on Tuesday morning.
“I think Tommy (Jonas) is definitely the right man for the job at this stage - Ollie (Wines) did a terrific job last year, but I think it was hard for him not being able to be out on the park as much as he would’ve liked.

“At this stage, I think the best position for the club was one captain going forward, and Tommy was definitely the man ready for that.”

“Behind the scenes, he is a pretty laid-back character - he can get pretty aggressive on the field, he’s a pretty stern bloke.
“But off the field, he’s pretty quiet. He likes to get around the young boys, which is good. He sets really high standards at training.”

Thank god for that, hey?

Yes, but only if that player has a genuine interest in moving. Do you think Dusty or Fyfes managers were shopping them around to determine their worth ? Or Whitfield manager shopping him around next years trade period ?

Either we are being told lies, or Wines manager is shopping him around without permission and given he was made captain this year and ruined his year under the circumstances he did which reflects very poorly on him. That’s why.

There are many other possibilities besides those outlined. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that Wines manager denied that he had approached another team regarding the possibility of trading Wines, and the club (PAFC) also denied they considered trading him (I may be wrong but thought I remembered reading that somewhere). If so, that doesn't mean (hypothetically) that someone else close to the player (ie his father) couldn't have made an exploratory inquiry to Carlton (or another potential suitor) with or without the players knowledge. There are too many unknowns at this point to make any judgement on anyone's commitment, motivation or character so at this point I'm happy to offer him the benefit of the doubt and hope he has a blinder of a season as one our VCs in 2020.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back