Faz 2000

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2007
Under the table
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
I think Carlton lose more. He's a genuine A-grader who wanted to be at the Blues, which is rare in recent years- and Silvagni couldn't get the deal done. Blues fans must be filthy.
Filthy we didn't get him, for sure. From all reports SOS and co did all they could - Swans tied it to Daniher which obviously didn't happen. It was not that the offer was not good enough or appropriate.

So it's not quite a massive fail, but nor is it a flying pass. It's disappointing. Papley would have been just fantastic at Carlton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buzzasto DaSilva

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
Can lose what you don't have. The reality is he was never for sale because EFC weren't going to deal
If he was never for sale, why didn't the Blues move on earlier? After Shiel Coniglio, Carlton really needed to land an A-grader this year to match up the ladder but they really added nothing in the off season, which must be incredibly disappointing for abljes fans.

Skull Face

Team Captain
Aug 27, 2019
Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
Can lose what you don't have. The reality is he was never for sale because EFC weren't going to deal
The annoying thing is that Sydney led us on knowing they needed 9 for daniher with the intention they would still likely deal papley without him, had we known from day 1 i'd suspect we would have got a Wines type in the door instead and not turned our back on Butler.

Betts will fill the void for 12 months though, we will go after Papley again next year.

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
If he was never for sale, why didn't the Blues move on earlier? After Shiel Coniglio, Carlton really needed to land an A-grader this year to match up the ladder but they really added nothing in the off season, which must be incredibly disappointing for abljes fans.
Of the 30 or so other players up for sale who else did we want? No point trade just for the sake of it.

Skull Face

Team Captain
Aug 27, 2019
Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
Not really, we aren't winning the flag in 2020 and papley unless he breaks up with his partner will still want to come home next year.

If the club can find a suitable future trade for pick 9 so that we are armed with 2 + a future come next trade period all is well that ends well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Faz 2000

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2007
Under the table
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
You're sure putting some effort into convincing a bunch of disappointed people they should be disappointed.

Jobe Watson

Brownlow Medalist
Jun 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
Yeah, where has it been reported that Sydney offered their future 2nd? Why would they give up both future picks when they have a couple of highly-rated academy players coming through in 2020?

SSwans2011

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 7, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
West Coast Wonders, Crystal Palace
I'm still not entirely sure we held Papley because we couldn't get the Daniher deal done. I think it's because the Blues were asking for us to send too much back.

If it was a straight swap for pick 9, I'm sure the club would have done it. If not, I'd imagine most Swans supporters would be filthy with them for not doing it.

Skull Face

Team Captain
Aug 27, 2019
Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm still not entirely sure we held Papley because we couldn't get the Daniher deal done. I think it's because the Blues were asking for us to send too much back.

If it was a straight swap for pick 9, I'm sure the club would have done it. If not, I'd imagine most Swans supporters would be filthy with them for not doing it.
Once Martin fell through I am sure we would have made this offer, Swans didn't want to let him go still.

SSwans2011

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 7, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Once Martin fell through I am sure we would have made this offer, Swans didn't want to let him go still.
Sounds like it was never offered. Don't see how you could go from pick 9 for Papley and pick 25 to a straight swap - that's a pretty huge jump. Seems SOS and whoever else just didn't rate him highly enough tbh.

Skull Face

Team Captain
Aug 27, 2019
Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
Sounds like it was never offered. Don't see how you could go from pick 9 for Papley and pick 25 to a straight swap - that's a pretty huge jump. Seems SOS and whoever else just didn't rate him highly enough tbh.
Who do I believe you or both teams list managers who said no Daniher no Papley?

Think we sorted that one out.

SSwans2011

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 7, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Who do I believe you or both teams list managers who said no Daniher no Papley?

Think we sorted that one out.
Meh believe what you want. You also believed it was a foregone conclusion that Papley was gone before trade period and weren't buying it when I tried to convince you otherwise.

Maybe if your club hadn't tried to rip us off for most of the trade period we would have made some progress.

Top Bottom