List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Get your take but you can't just jettison all our experience and leadership like Hawks did. Short is a heart and soul type, a leader and a premiership player, we're gonna need him while the kids develop to help steer the ship and set standards. You gotta draw a line somewhere when it comes to raking in picks, Short would be just about untouchable.
It’s essential to retain leadership within the playing group or you’ll go nowhere fast regardless of the talent at hand

Wonder if we could pry out Will Phillips from Norf on the cheap. Pick 3 in the 2020 draft but seems like he's on the outer/fallen down the pecking order behind the likes of LDU/Simpkin/Powell/McKercher/Duursma/Sheezel etc etc.

You wouldn't want to give up anything of note (think the Elijah Hollands deal Carlton did, giving them a 3rd rounder for a 4th), but I thought he showed some things in the second half of last year when he was given a regular game.

Wonder if we could pry out Will Phillips from Norf on the cheap. Pick 3 in the 2020 draft but seems like he's on the outer/fallen down the pecking order behind the likes of LDU/Simpkin/Powell/McKercher/Duursma/Sheezel etc etc.

You wouldn't want to give up anything of note (think the Elijah Hollands deal Carlton did, giving them a 3rd rounder for a 4th), but I thought he showed some things in the second half of last year when he was given a regular game.

Someone mentioned this last week and I think he would make a lot of sense for us at the right price. I was thinking a pick around 15 last week but maybe an early second round pick might be enough. We might suit him as well, we should be able to give him a good contract and plenty of midfield minutes, and he might enjoy playing alongside Nankervis, Taranto, Hopper, big strong bodies. Phillips displayed a decent balance between offence and defence in his run of games last year, and for a smaller 3rd year inside mid he had healthy enough returns.

We need to fill that hole we were hoping the likes of Dow would fill, without paying through the nose. It could possibly leave us with 3 first round picks, 2 x 2024 draft and 1 x 2025 draft to try to trade 2 of those picks for one high priced gun mid or key forward, and go to the draft with the other pick looking for a high end young talent. Suddenly our midfield would be stronger with a bit of depth and we would have a decent key forward prospect. Our list would then be starting to take decent shape, with a lot of new talent(including recent draftees) for Yze to work with.

Why not have a dip at Nick Haynes as a FA on a 2y contract. 31 but could bring some experience and would be an upgrade on Grimes. Don’t think injury has been an issue for him

Someone mentioned this last week and I think he would make a lot of sense for us at the right price. I was thinking a pick around 15 last week but maybe an early second round pick might be enough. We might suit him as well, we should be able to give him a good contract and plenty of midfield minutes, and he might enjoy playing alongside Nankervis, Taranto, Hopper, big strong bodies. Phillips displayed a decent balance between offence and defence in his run of games last year, and for a smaller 3rd year inside mid he had healthy enough returns.

We need to fill that hole we were hoping the likes of Dow would fill, without paying through the nose. It could possibly leave us with 3 first round picks, 2 x 2024 draft and 1 x 2025 draft to try to trade 2 of those picks for one high priced gun mid or key forward, and go to the draft with the other pick looking for a high end young talent. Suddenly our midfield would be stronger with a bit of depth and we would have a decent key forward prospect. Our list would then be starting to take decent shape, with a lot of new talent(including recent draftees) for Yze to work with.
Yeah perhaps I was being a bit too ambitious with the swap of later picks reference, although if bloody Carltoon can bring in past top 10 picks at a bargain basement price, why can't we? If he's not getting a game and wants out, these days I feel like the player, and the new team, has the leverage

Yeah perhaps I was being a bit too ambitious with the swap of later picks reference, although if bloody Carltoon can bring in past top 10 picks at a bargain basement price, why can't we? If he's not getting a game and wants out, these days I feel like the player, and the new team, has the leverage

All the better if we could get him cheaper. But it isn't like he has North tied into a bad contract or anything, so he should trade for his true value. If he is worth recruiting then that value would have to be a pick in the 20's at least. If he isn't worth that then he probably isn't worth recruiting. The club would have to believe he could hold his own as an AFL midfielder.

Get your take but you can't just jettison all our experience and leadership like Hawks did. Short is a heart and soul type, a leader and a premiership player, we're gonna need him while the kids develop to help steer the ship and set standards. You gotta draw a line somewhere when it comes to raking in picks, Short would be just about untouchable.
Not in my view he is. Hasn't been great this season and last to. Rather build the team around Baker his a heart soul player and leader Short is far from it.

I like shorty but I’d trade him. He’s not a leader and makes far too many basic mistakes. Vlas is the man down back that can lead the younger ones coming through.

Not in my view he is. Hasn't been great this season and last to. Rather build the team around Baker his a heart soul player and leader Short is far from it.
Bakers gone though and we're haemorrhaging senior leadership at an alarming rate, can't afford to lose Shorty as well. Mightn't be at peak performance but you cannot discount his sway amongst the group.

No bloody way a r1 pic , when you’re out of a team that’s won like 6 games in 3y , your currency ain’t high , wish our recruiters realized with kozi, r2 at best

I like shorty but I’d trade him. He’s not a leader and makes far too many basic mistakes. Vlas is the man down back that can lead the younger ones coming through.
I think shorty is a better leader than Vlas , he’s a bit loose nick , can see why never capt, even his interview in hs would have made a few cringe

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MidfielderMidfield/ForwardSmall/Medium ForwardKPFSmall/Medium DefenderKPDRuck
Under 21McAuliffeClarke
Banks
Campbell
Green
FawcettSmith
Brown
Gibcus
21-23Dow
Ross
SonsieM.Rioli
Coulthard
Cumberland
Mansell
Bauer
Koschitzke
Trezise
Ralphsmith
Ryan
Hayes-Brown
24-27Graham
Taranto
Bolton
Baker
Balta
Lefau
D.RioliMiller
Young
Colina
28-30Hopper
McIntosh
Short
Vlastuin
Nankervis
30+Prestia
Martin
PickettLynchBroad
Grimes
Naismith

Thought something like this may help people gain a better idea about how our list build is currently structured and where the weaknesses are with regarding the type of players that we should be looking at either at the trade/free agency table or in the draft itself.

The first thing that stands out is the lack of young midfield talent. We have Ross Dow Sonsie Banks Clarke & McAuliffe that are 23 or younger, quite simply that just isn't enough, we need more and it needs to be quality both inside and out the square. By putting together a strong young group, they will be able to grow and develop together so that when they hit their peak, they have a good 75-100 games under their belts playing together as a unit and we'll still have the likes of Taranto & Hopper as the leaders of the group. Thankfully we're in a strong position at the draft table to address this area.

The second area that stands out is obviously the KPP/Ruck stocks. Lynch is closer to the end that the peak of his career and while he can still have a few good years leading the forward line we need to find a running mate to partner with Balta(should they leave him forward) for when Lynch is no longer around. Koschitzke hasn't started his time at Richmond well but there is still time, but it's going to need to be a big turn around if he is going to be the answer. Behind Koschitzke is a trio of untried unproven talent. Lefau has excited some in the VFL games, but being honest it's just flashes that we see. He still needs to build consistency to show he can be a possible answer. Bauer has been more consistent than Lefau, but has been missing so far this year so we have no idea where he fits in to Yzes plans until he gets out on the park. Fawcett is even more of a mystery, had track watchers feeling good about him, but is another who we haven't seen yet. So more questions than answers up forward.

Down the other end, there are even more concerns as we've now seen Gibcus missing 2 years of development due to injuries who was going to be the cornerstone of the back line moving forward, Miller has been here for 7 seasons and has managed 25 games without ever really locking himself into the best 22, well as a result of Gibcus going down, Miller now has the chance to step up and become that long term KPD we've been searching for since Rance & Astbury departed. Miller has all the attributes to be a solid KPD, 198cm & 97kg(apparently) has good skills, can take a grab, and has shown calmness and composure down back so far this year in the VFL game. Young is in his second year and has progressed at a remarkable rate since winning a spot on the list in 2022. It would be incredibly handy if both Miller & Young can stand up and fill the void as it would take pressure of Gibcus and allow him to focus on rehabilitation and getting back on the park without thinking it's all up to him.

As far as the rucks go Nankervis and Naismith are a good pairing that should get us through the year without much worry, but behind them Ryan still has lots of question marks, Hayes-Brown is raw as can be and Colina has a bad back that has flared up yet again this year. So we're definitely going to need to add at least a combination of 2-3 KPP/Rucks to the list at seasons end.

The 2 areas that we have good depth at is the small/medium forwards & defenders, with the defenders having shown more class and talent at the moment and is probably the strongest area of the list for us from both a present and future perspective. Daniel Short and Vlastuin are here for the next 3-4 years and the likes of Brown & Trezise showed plenty of good signs both last year and so far this year to suggest they can eventually step in and replace Grimes and Broad in time.

Up forward we have players that divide opinions. First up is Maurice, son of one of our past greats, who hasn't quite hit the heights the name brings with it, but he is still just 21 and is being afforded opportunity at the moment to stake a claim for a long term future, defensively he is quite good, but we need more from him offensively to become a genuine small forward threat. Mansell has fought hard to get himself into the senior side, but hasn't yet convinced anyone that he can be a long term option. Campbell has shown good signs in his first 2 games at the level, but we've seen that before, especially from the next name on the list, Cumberland. Cumberland came in guns blazing and got plenty of fans excited about what could be. Unfortunately Noah hasn't quite come on for reasons that cause plenty of discussion, be it Hardwick screwed with his mind or he hasn't addressed the weaknesses in his game, he needs to find something this season or it could be his last. He has all the talent to become a dangerous medium forward, but he can't just be an attacking weapon. Coulthard is possibly our most natural small forward with a good mix of attack & defensive work, but currently finds himself down the pecking order after and interrupted preseason. Green was recruited as a midfield/defender and has been trained up as a small forward. He has a knack of finding himself in the right spot to hit the scoreboard and works up and down the ground well.
Good effort, though a couple of corrections required .... You can start by taking Dow and talent out of the same sentence

Plenty of list managers will be taking a close look at Ben Miller as an unrestricted free agent. I think he'd be a big loss. I hope we can lock him in for 3 years. I know not everyone agrees, but I think his value will climb over the next 10-15 matches.
I think Matt Clarke would have him on the pin board ... when are we going to learn ... delisting and re- rookie ... just equals putting in the games to have them become good ... and then they leave ... because they are still pissed at being delisted in the first place 😂

Yep, if we could swap one of our seconds for one of Norths thirds I'd do it.

Anything under pick 25 outright though I'd probably baulk at.

Cumbo not a UFA due to being reinstated to the list in 2021

Jack Graham
Dylan Grimes
Dustin Martin
Kamdyn McIntosh
Toby Nankervis
Dion Prestia
Ben Miller*
Sam Naismith*
Mate Colina*

*Previously delisted
Jack Graham - He will leave as a free agent
Dylan Grimes - He will retire
Dustin Martin - He will sign 2 year deal
Kamdyn McIntosh - He will sign 1 year deal
Toby Nankervis - He will sign 3 year deal
Dion Prestia - He will want to continue and club will offer a 1 year deal
Ben Miller* - He will get a 2 year deal
Sam Naismith* - He will get a 1 year deal
Mate Colina* - Doesnt matter

It’s essential to retain leadership within the playing group or you’ll go nowhere fast regardless of the talent at hand
I agree with this - but who are the leaders? Being old doesn't make you a leader. I'd be fine with us trading older players out for quality picks, then picking up a cheap older leader like Hodge at Lions or Lewis at Melbourne tbh. It actually worked out well on both occasions for those teams. You are quite correct, just dont think we have any real leaders in the team atm

Baker is probably the best leader we have atm and he is looking very likely to be the next one out the door.

I agree with this - but who are the leaders? Being old doesn't make you a leader. I'd be fine with us trading older players out for quality picks, then picking up a cheap older leader like Hodge at Lions or Lewis at Melbourne tbh. It actually worked out well on both occasions for those teams. You are quite correct, just dont think we have any real leaders in the team atm

Baker is probably the best leader we have atm and he is looking very likely to be the next one out the door.
Let me get this right !!

You want to trade our older players for quality picks

But expect to pickup players like Lewis & Hodge cheap

Can you not see how stupid that sounds

Let me get this right !!

You want to trade our older players for quality picks

But expect to pickup players like Lewis & Hodge cheap

Can you not see how stupid that sounds
No, i want to trade in leaders as our current mature crop are not leaders. i don't want just "any old players" - i want leaders.

What did Hodge & Lewis get traded for? Hodge went for 75 & Lewis went for 57 & 68. I'm talking about trading out Hopper, Taranto, Lynch, Broad & Baker IF he wants to leave. Dusty & Pickett we will likely lose for nothing. If you get anything for Prestia, take it if he wants to leave, which for all accounts, he is completely open to.

Jack Graham - He will leave as a free agent
Dylan Grimes - He will retire
Dustin Martin - He will sign 2 year deal
Kamdyn McIntosh - He will sign 1 year deal
Toby Nankervis - He will sign 3 year deal
Dion Prestia - He will want to continue and club will offer a 1 year deal
Ben Miller* - He will get a 2 year deal
Sam Naismith* - He will get a 1 year deal
Mate Colina* - Doesnt matter
Proud Of You Yes GIF

Plenty of list managers will be taking a close look at Ben Miller as an unrestricted free agent. I think he'd be a big loss. I hope we can lock him in for 3 years. I know not everyone agrees, but I think his value will climb over the next 10-15 matches.
Time will tell he gets to really see if he can make it now with Gibcus out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back