List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Why not have a dip at Nick Haynes as a FA on a 2y contract. 31 but could bring some experience and would be an upgrade on Grimes. Don’t think injury has been an issue for him
Doesn't fit our list profile too old. considering we have young defenders that need playing.

Wonder if we could pry out Will Phillips from Norf on the cheap. Pick 3 in the 2020 draft but seems like he's on the outer/fallen down the pecking order behind the likes of LDU/Simpkin/Powell/McKercher/Duursma/Sheezel etc etc.

You wouldn't want to give up anything of note (think the Elijah Hollands deal Carlton did, giving them a 3rd rounder for a 4th), but I thought he showed some things in the second half of last year when he was given a regular game.
He may have a meaty contract if we took it on , buy for cheaper , that’s why blues got hollands cheap

Our list build is in great shape given the cards we’ve had to play with (ie. 1 x top-10 pick since Vlastuin, and he’ll have been out for 2 years end of 2024). We have to accept we cannot beat top-8 teams with half a dozen best-18 out and umpire corruption.

We also have to understand many of our brightest talents have been afflicted with constant niggling injuries. Even now Tresize looks really promising and cops a freak 6-week ankle injury. We cannot take a trick.

On the back of minimal exposure due to coming off a dynasty where many senior players were understandably preferred at selection.

Then we’ve dealt with long term injuries to Lynch, Hopper, Prestia, Graham, Nank and more.

So here is our team of players 25yo and under who I believe are ‘capable’ of quality football, so 7+ years or more (games played in brackets)

B: T Brown (2) T Young (21). Banks (8)
HB: Tresize (2). Miller (26). Gibcus (20)
C: Ross (66). Sonsie (10). Clarke (17)
HF: Campbell (3). Balta (88). Bolton (116)
F: MRJ (29). Cumberland (18). Mansell (34)
R: Ryan (16). McAuliffe (0). Dow (20)

I have left out Hugo, Kosi, Bauer, Green, Smith, Fawcett, Lefau, HB, Coulthard as they are untried or I have real doubts on their ability to ever impact at AFL level.

Most players don’t genuinely ‘find their feet’ at AFL level until the 40-50 game mark. For reasons of injury, COVID and opportunity in a dynasty squad we’ve only had three of our youngsters reach that marker.

Obviously not all of the 18 listed above will become quality AFL players. But from what I’ve seen all of them are capable and I believe majority will make it.

No doubt we need more elite quality ala Gulden, Butters types, and hopefully we get 2-3 of those in this years draft. There’s enough football left for the group above to be at their peak when new draftees come in and have an impact.

So I’m not at all concerned with the list build given where we’ve come from - loads of them will really establish themselves in the next 12-18 months. I’d be pretty concerned if we didn’t have a strong draft hand end of 2024 … but we do!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Leek Aleer is definitely one I’d be having a look at.

First round pick. Stuck behind Buckley and Taylor.

Can't see GWS trading away Leek Aleer without even giving him an extended run in the team as a first round pick. I think he's had a pretty interrupted start to life in AFL footy as well, which has also been a factor.

Apparently we’re set to give Samson Ryan a 3-year extension shortly (according to Gettable). Which will see him through to Tassie.

At least a year two long for mine (prefer one, but would have accepted two).
I don't mind it. There's definitely talent there with Samson. Just seems like we've been waiting for so long for him to build a body that can stand up to AFL footy. This may never happen, but while there are so many blokes to cut ahead of him I'm happy to see how he progresses.

I don't mind it. There's definitely talent there with Samson. Just seems like we've been waiting for so long for him to build a body that can stand up to AFL footy. This may never happen, but while there are so many blokes to cut ahead of him I'm happy to see how he progresses.

Hopefully this gives Ryan the confidence he obviously needs to stand up at AFL footy, and that the club is putting their trust behind him.

Personally, I feel like half of Ryan's issue is purely confidence based, while the other half is physical.

Hopefully this gives Ryan the confidence he obviously needs to stand up at AFL footy, and that the club is putting their trust behind him.

Personally, I feel like half of Ryan's issue is purely confidence based, while the other half is physical.
You're probably on to something there. Plays best when he's "the man" either in the ruck or as the primary target up forward.

Balta out of contract in 2025, with the demand for Key position players competition wide could see him get offers of $1 million plus imo. Given we might struggle for on field results for the next little bit it would be good to sign him up as soon as possible before other targets are off the board the clubs zero in on him

Apparently we’re set to give Samson Ryan a 3-year extension shortly (according to Gettable). Which will see him through to Tassie.

At least a year too long for mine (prefer one, but would have accepted two).
Don't mind this, Samson is only 23 and has just started his 4th season at the club. He's probably still a year away from actually having the body to really compete as a ruckman. While he did put on size this summer, he still doesn't quite understand how to use it the way he needs to so that he can have the impact that we'd all like to see him having. We're in a good position in that we have Nankervis around to be our number 1 for a year or 2 before we really need Ryan to step up to be the number 1 ruck.

In the meantime, it would be great to see some performances like we saw in mid 2023, which gave a lot of supporters hope that he could step up sooner rather than later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Balta out of contract in 2025, with the demand for Key position players competition wide could see him get offers of $1 million plus imo. Given we might struggle for on field results for the next little bit it would be good to sign him up as soon as possible before other targets are off the board the clubs zero in on him
Pies sniffing already apparently

Been thinking about it today and I reckon if the season keeps playing out like it has so far I reckon we should trade Lynch to the highest bidder. Dees would love him. Pick 15ish.
Interesting notion. Not entirely against it, but given our young KPF group behind him, having him as a leader/mentor is probably worth more to us, than letting him leave.

Been thinking about it today and I reckon if the season keeps playing out like it has so far I reckon we should trade Lynch to the highest bidder. Dees would love him. Pick 15ish.
I suspect that baker , dusty and graham will all be traded out in addition to losing likes of pres and grimes to retirement , no need to add lynch to that list , would stymie our progress rather than improve it
Go thru 3y winless and we ll lose our early pics to Tasmania with sign on bonuses , guaranteed , so be careful what u wish for

Last edited:

FLAG TIGER TO DELAY TALKS

RICHMOND midfielder Jack Graham is prepared to wait through the season before kickstarting talks on his next contract, as the club's dual premiership player weighs up his free agency decision.

The South Australian, who won flags at the Tigers in 2017 and 2020, has missed the start of the season with a quad injury but remains one of the League's most high-profile free agents this year.

Graham toured Port Adelaide's facilities when he was still under contract with Richmond back in October 2022, but opted to remain at Punt Road and then hit a trigger in his deal early last season that took him through to free agency.

But with the Tigers expected to undergo a transition in their list profile under new coach Adem Yze, both the player and the club have agreed to hold off talks over his next contract until later in the campaign.

"He's a quality player and at the moment, we're just going to see how it all unfolds," Graham's manager Marty Pask from Kapital Sports Group told AFL.com.au's trade and draft show Gettable last week.

"Richmond's in an interesting position, with the list and where they're at. They've got a couple of older guys and they're starting to play some youth as well.

"We've obviously met and agreed just to take a breath and look at how the season starts for everybody, then we'll kick the tyres a little bit more on that in the next little while."

Despite the decision to delay talks around Graham's future into the season, Pask said there remained an understanding from both parties regarding his situation.

"It's the preparedness now for club and player to actually not panic and just say, 'Hey it is your free agency year so how do we attack this and what does it look like?'" Pask said.

"I've done deals with [Richmond list manager] Blair Hartley for a very long time, so there's certainly nothing there that's untoward or anything that should surprise anyone, other than we're looking at this as his free agency year.

"Where is Richmond at? What do they want to do? And what does Jack Graham want to do and where is he at? Both parties talk through that." – Riley Beveridge

Mid season retro picks will be massive.
Riley Collier Dynasty.
Tyrone Vickery, bundled with Arina Rodionova ALFW.

I suspect that baker , dusty and graham will all be traded out in addition to losing likes of ores and grimes to retirement , no need to add lynch to that list , would stymie our progress rather than improve it
Go thru 3y winless and we ll lose our early pics to Tasmania with sign on bonuses , guaranteed , so be careful what u wish for
Cant cut too deep, I agree, but I reckon Baker and Dusty will stay. Graham needs to go.

FLAG TIGER TO DELAY TALKS

RICHMOND midfielder Jack Graham is prepared to wait through the season before kickstarting talks on his next contract, as the club's dual premiership player weighs up his free agency decision.

The South Australian, who won flags at the Tigers in 2017 and 2020, has missed the start of the season with a quad injury but remains one of the League's most high-profile free agents this year.

Graham toured Port Adelaide's facilities when he was still under contract with Richmond back in October 2022, but opted to remain at Punt Road and then hit a trigger in his deal early last season that took him through to free agency.

But with the Tigers expected to undergo a transition in their list profile under new coach Adem Yze, both the player and the club have agreed to hold off talks over his next contract until later in the campaign.

"He's a quality player and at the moment, we're just going to see how it all unfolds," Graham's manager Marty Pask from Kapital Sports Group told AFL.com.au's trade and draft show Gettable last week.

"Richmond's in an interesting position, with the list and where they're at. They've got a couple of older guys and they're starting to play some youth as well.

"We've obviously met and agreed just to take a breath and look at how the season starts for everybody, then we'll kick the tyres a little bit more on that in the next little while."

Despite the decision to delay talks around Graham's future into the season, Pask said there remained an understanding from both parties regarding his situation.

"It's the preparedness now for club and player to actually not panic and just say, 'Hey it is your free agency year so how do we attack this and what does it look like?'" Pask said.

"I've done deals with [Richmond list manager] Blair Hartley for a very long time, so there's certainly nothing there that's untoward or anything that should surprise anyone, other than we're looking at this as his free agency year.

"Where is Richmond at? What do they want to do? And what does Jack Graham want to do and where is he at? Both parties talk through that." – Riley Beveridge
Gorne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back