Trent Cotchin v Tom Swift

Remove this Banner Ad

The only thing that has slowed Cotchin is injuries. He still is yet to complete a full pre season but can finally play 5 games in a row and now we are seeing the benefit. I cannot imagine what a pre season will do.

I would prefer 1 Cotchin over 5 Swifts aka I think Cotchin is 5 times better.

I wouldn't. Swift would of been a top 5 draft pick the expert recruiter predicted, had he not been injured. He has looked fairly good for a young player. He won't be as good as Cotchin. But he will be in there top half a dozen players!

Richmond fans writing off Swift are very foolish. Cotchin has been twice the player so far in his career but Swift is starting to get his game together. You see his quality in glimpses at this point of time but give him a year or 2 and he will be a star.

Both players really need an injury free preseason btw.

Pretty humerous. We are just pumping games into Swift at this stage with limited game time. Very happy with his progress.

Swift is no way near as physically developed. He's got some six cm on Cotchin but comes in at the same weight. Fast forward four years he will be close to fully developed and have those essential games under his belt, physically their is no comparison.

A better comparison is Shuey. Similar height and weight. Obviously Shuey has had plenty of injury setbacks, but once he's exposed for an extended length of time at the elite level the comparisons will make allot more sense than this one.

Well let me say that Cotchin has been very impressive and at the moment is ahead of Swift.

However I have to laugh at the Tigers supporters telling us that Swift is just an average player with little up side .

He was taken at # 20 so maybe we should compare him with the Tigers pick around that mark ( # 20 ) or even before.

2003 # 21 Alex Gilmour
2004 # 12 Danny Meyer # 16 Adam Patterson # 20 Dean Polo
2005 # 8 JON # 24 Cleeve Hughes
2006 # 20 Shane Edwards
2007 # 18 Alex Rance

Given your hit rate at the # 20 mark or before I would say that Swift @ # 20 is looking pretty good by way of contrast with your picks at the similar point to where we selected Swift.

Oh by the way do we compare # 2 picks : Cotchin and Nic Nat. That would be a fairer point of referance.

Cotchin is a gerat pick up but please Tigers supporters stop bagging the shit out of Swift @ 20 as you only highlight your own Clubs inepitude by doing so.

Mate it was a West Coast supporter that made the inital comparison not a Richmond supporter. I would still prefer Cotchin over Nic Nat btw.

Also I think the Shane Edwards comparison is alot more relevant and you make a good point. They are tracking about the same at the moment only Edwards 2 years older and with more games under his belt.

I can't believe Swift is 191cm I thought he looked really short.

Urgh, comparisons like this make me cringe.

Cotchin and Swift both have the potential to be top quality players for years to come, and both have shown glimpses of what they can do.

At the moment, Cotchin is the safer bet, and has all the indications of becoming one of the games top mids, but that has been said about countless amounts of players in the past.

In terms of long term comparisons, it is virtually impossible to tell. Both have considerable development left, and nobody (no matter what they claim) knows the ceiling of these two boys potential.

Mate it was a West Coast supporter that made the inital comparison not a Richmond supporter. I would still prefer Cotchin over Nic Nat btw.

Also I think the Shane Edwards comparison is alot more relevant and you make a good point. They are tracking about the same at the moment only Edwards 2 years older and with more games under his belt.

I can't believe Swift is 191cm I thought he looked really short.

You really don't believe that do you?

I don't want you to think I was making a indictment on Swift. It is just that Cotchin IMO is probably the best young footballer I have seen come to Richmond in my time. Swift will be a decent player but IMO Cotchin is a once in a generation player.

Swift will be serviceable...he lubed us up and penetrated in round 22. However I think it is stupid to compare the 2 in a thread by the OP.

BIG CALL on Cotchin!!
Dustin Martin?

As for Swift, he hasnt won me yet.

You really don't believe that do you?
Cotchin will be a far better player then Nic Nat, I suggest you would be in a minority who think that Nic Nat will be the better player.

Cotchin will be a far better player then Nic Nat, I suggest you would be in a minority who think that Nic Nat will be the better player.

I think it is a far-stretch to say only a minority think Cotchin will be better.

And to suggest with an apparent authority that Cotchin will be a "far better" player than Naitanui is down right hilarious. I can name many midfielders who were more accomplished at their age than Cotchin is, but fail to think of many ruckman who come close to impacting a game like Naitanui can at his age.

That is not to say Cotchin may not be better than him in the long run, but I would suggest that it would not be FAR better

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it is a far-stretch to say only a minority think Cotchin will be better.

And to suggest with an apparent authority that Cotchin will be a "far better" player than Naitanui is down right hilarious. I can name many midfielders who were more accomplished at their age than Cotchin is, but fail to think of many ruckman who come close to impacting a game like Naitanui can at his age.

That is not to say Cotchin may not be better than him in the long run, but I would suggest that it would not be FAR better

KRUEZER!!
but i agree Naitanui is a very good long term prospect... with the ability to turn games in a position which you dont expect a lot of output around the ground from

cotchin will probably realise his potential sooner than NN, simply because atm NN is more of an athlete than a footballer (site kicking skills)

KRUEZER!!
but i agree Naitanui is a very good long term prospect... with the ability to turn games in a position which you dont expect a lot of output around the ground from

cotchin will probably realise his potential sooner than NN, simply because atm NN is more of an athlete than a footballer (site kicking skills)

If Cotchin doesnt deliver before a big bloke, NicNat or Tyrone Vickery ... hello, hello.

Kruezer delivered #5 in Carltons b & f, judged by the club not some media hack influenced by a scone & tea ... he leads the way by the proverbial country mile ... was Cotchin in that draft?

KRUEZER!!

Cotchin and Nic Nat are both going to be superstars. Obviously both sides are happy with the player and it is silly for West COast supporters to say "you don't really believe that" as it is for Richmond supporters to suggest that Cotchin will definitley be better (although I think he will).

Cotchin's leadership is a big factor for me. The thing is we know how good Cotchin will be (a superstar imo) but Nic NAts ceiling is the unknown atm...fair freak.

Cotchin is the best junior i've ever seen play the game. Saying that though i never got to see swift or nicnat in juniors due to personal reasons.

Cotchin could end up being the best mid in the comp IMO and has all the base skills. His body is a little worry and he really needs to actually complete a preseason.

Saying that though about cotchin the last sporting talent i saw in any sport full stop that had as much potential as NicNat was Ian Thorpe. Cotchin has the potential to be the best mid of his generation imo. Nicnat on potential has the ability to be the greatest ruckman of all time.

My apologies for completely forgetting swifty here for a second and im not going to try and make comparisons to other elite young talents but everything i've seen him do just screams class. He's played what? 18 odd afl games and no football for 2 years before hand, all whilst growing significantly. He's 191 cm's tall ffs. He's the height of some KPP's, missed the 2 most important development years of juniors and has already shown this much. I'm very impressed with his efforts, more so than any of west coasts other young mids. Shuey if he can get on the park may have the ability to change my mind though.

I just don't see you would want a player like cotChin over nic nat. There will always be players like cotchin in every single draft for the next 100 years the same cannot be said about nic nat. You can pick up midfielders just as good as cotchin with much lower draft picks. Cotchin is a sam mitchell like player not a judd/ablett type, martin is a better prsopect.

I just don't see you would want a player like cotChin over nic nat. There will always be players like cotchin in every single draft for the next 100 years the same cannot be said about nic nat. You can pick up midfielders just as good as cotchin with much lower draft picks. Cotchin is a sam mitchell like player not a judd/ablett type, martin is a better prsopect.

Wow you have no idea....Cotchin does not come along every draft. Best young talent I have see walk into Richmond.

So you are saying he is better prospect than every single player in the last 10 drafts?

First let me say I love watching both NicNat and Cotchin.

Second I'd point out that NicNat only influences games through athleticism. The reality is that you can't dominate a competition for very long just because of athleticism. Why? Because there's always new kids coming along who are taller, faster, stronger than the kids that came 5 or 10 years before. How long did Kouta dominate the AFL before the competition caught up? And he had a lot more tricks up his sleeve than NicNat does.

Do you really think there aren't 20 kids playing college basketball in the US who would bring as much to the table as Natanui does?

The reason I love watching Cotch is his awareness in traffic and composure under pressure. His issue is that his body may not hold up for us to see the best of it.

Do you really think there aren't 20 kids playing college basketball in the US who would bring as much to the table as Natanui does?

The reason I love watching Cotch is his awareness in traffic and composure under pressure.

Nicnat's awareness in traffic and effective handballs out of a hotly contested situation is his greatest skill - equal with Cotch in this regard. Sure he doesn't have the silky footskills of Cotchin, but please don't tell me you're one of the drones who think Nic can't kick. He may prefer to handball, but when he kicks he very rarely has missed a target. Did you see his goal on the weekend? 45 out, tight angle on the run - not sure how many college basketballers could do that? Don't tell me it was a fluke because he's kicked a number of similar goals this year.

First let me say I love watching both NicNat and Cotchin.

Second I'd point out that NicNat only influences games through athleticism. The reality is that you can't dominate a competition for very long just because of athleticism. Why? Because there's always new kids coming along who are taller, faster, stronger than the kids that came 5 or 10 years before. How long did Kouta dominate the AFL before the competition caught up? And he had a lot more tricks up his sleeve than NicNat does.

The reason I love watching Cotch is his awareness in traffic and composure under pressure. His issue is that his body may not hold up for us to see the best of it.

This has no relevance to my point. Do you believe cotchin is a once in a generation player? There are players like him in every draft.

Your whole new kids catch up argument is nonsense unless african americans start playing the game. There is not going to be a player like naita for a long time.

As the previous poster mentioned naita is just as good if not better than cotchin in contested situations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back