Trent Cotchin v Tom Swift

Remove this Banner Ad

Guess that minority includes the majority of current AFL head coaches who at the start of the year had Naitanui as the most likely out of the young players to be the best player in the competition? :rolleyes:

Both are exciting talents. However there is no chance in hell I'd give up Naitanui for Cotchin.

Most had him down for the rising star too. He won't get near it.

To me he already is, can't think of any other 6tf 6 forwards that has done what he has.

There are plenty of 6'4 and 6'5 forwards that have done a shitload more than he has. I reckon Buddy will end up kicking 800-1000 goals, which would put him on about level pegging with Lloyd, Richo, Fev, Brown. Hardly "Once in a generation".

"Once in a generation" is the most bullshit term going round atm. In the last 5 years we've had Judd, Gibbs, Ryder, Kreuzer, Naitinui and Franklin all dubbed "Once in a generation" players. How lucky are we that we get to see 6 "once in a generation" players in the same generation.:rolleyes:

One Melbourne supporter even said that Scully and Trengove were both "once in a generation" players. Fancy getting two in the one draft, let alone the one generation.

I think the Tiger fans saying Cotchin is the best Tiger in a generation will probably be right in that sense. He will probably be the best player we've had since KB. Having said that we haven't had many decent players in that time. Cotch isn't a "once in a generation player" but he may well be the best Tiger in a generation, or even the last 30 years.

Naitanui won't be near it? I will take you up on that. $100 says he is in the top 3.

Cotch was in the top 3. He didn't get near it either.

Rising star voting is generally pretty unaminous. They'll be one or two stand outs and then drop off a fair bit.

Natanui is flashy and does a few cool things like he did on the weekend. The fact is he F**** the first kick so badly he chased after it and kicked a goal. He may also take a hanger but does he do the rest of the game. I love his tap work but around the ground he will do 1 flashy thing and people do what they do with Cyril....wank off way to much.

IMO Kruezer will be better than Nic Nat because Kruezer will be like Cox and start getting the ball 30 times a game at high efficency where as Nic Nat will be amazing to watch when he is on song but not consistently influence a contest.

Gun tap ruckman though.

First of all let me start off by saying Kreuzer has been very impressive to date and will be one of the elite ruckman of the competition for years to come.

That being said, I think Naitanui has a much higher ceiling. Kreuzer is the safer bet, Naitanui is high risk high reward.

The game has evolved to a point where 30 possessions are just another average day at the office for a number of players.

Naitanui doesn't need 30 possessions to 'influence' a contest, has he has already shown in a number of games in his very short career to date.

Most had him down for the rising star too. He won't get near it.

Ah ok, so the opinion of a few random flogs on an internet forum must be closer to the mark than the head coaches. :rolleyes:

When he was drafted the was thought to be a project player who would take a few years to develop. Fast forward a season and a half and Naitanui has won games off his own boot.

Its only because of the standard he has already set that people criticise his 'bad' games.. which for any other 1st/2nd year ruckman would be dubbed 'promising'.

But apparently a (be it very talented) young midfielder with injury concerns is the better option.

Yeah, ok.

Fair call Spartan.

Nic Nat needs to work on cheap possies...I started a poll on the polls board to find out what people think.

When I say cheap possies I mean he needs to get loose more on the other ruckman to make them accountable. Not Cale Morton/Jordan McMahon cheap lol

Ah ok, so the opinion of a few random flogs on an internet forum must be closer to the mark than the head coaches. :rolleyes:

But apparently a (be it very talented) young midfielder with injury concerns is the better option.

Yeah, ok.

No. The bookies and vast majority of the media aren't considered a few random big footy flogs. Even if guys like Hutchy both post on big footy and are flogs.

After his awesome NAB cup game basically everyone (media, bookies, bigfooty) had him penciled in for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No. The bookies and vast majority of the media aren't considered a few random big footy flogs. Even if guys like Hutchy both post on big footy and are flogs.

After his awesome NAB cup game basically everyone (media, bookies, bigfooty) had him penciled in for it.

eh?

The AFL head coaches rate him as the kid with the most potential. You'd assume that they would know a thing or two about footy.. and that they would be basing their opinion on more than a NAB cup game, especially when talking long term potential.

At the end of the day I don't really care too much about the RS. Sure it would be a nice to have for NicNat, but at the end of the day I want him to play a number of years of elite footy.. and he is on his way there.. the fact that he isn't judged the best 1st/2nd year player for the year doesn't really mean that much in the grand scheme of things.

eh?

At the end of the day I don't really care too much about the RS. Sure it would be a nice to have for NicNat, but at the end of the day I want him to play a number of years of elite footy.. and he is on his way there.. the fact that he isn't judged the best 1st/2nd year player for the year doesn't really mean that much in the grand scheme of things.

x2

Jared Rivers won it in 2004; hasn't exactly set the world on fire.

Natanui is flashy and does a few cool things like he did on the weekend. The fact is he F**** the first kick so badly he chased after it and kicked a goal. He may also take a hanger but does he do the rest of the game. I love his tap work but around the ground he will do 1 flashy thing and people do what they do with Cyril....wank off way to much.

IMO Kruezer will be better than Nic Nat because Kruezer will be like Cox and start getting the ball 30 times a game at high efficency where as Nic Nat will be amazing to watch when he is on song but not consistently influence a contest.

Gun tap ruckman though.

This is a typical regurgitation of other peoples poorly informed opinions.

Naitanui is not as consistent as Kruezer, but he's on par with him for influence even without that consistency from week to week.

x2

Jared Rivers won it in 2004; hasn't exactly set the world on fire.

Rivers was actually pretty good until he missed the better part of 3 years with OP, only recovering last year once the game had massively changed and made his playing style largely redundant.

Once Naitinui builds consistency look out because he will be unstoppable.

You might be waiting some time.

My guess is he'll spend quite a few years frustrating eagles supporters as he struggles to grasp the finer points of reading the play. As good as he is at the "see-ball-get-ball" style, I've seen nothing that makes him look like he will be able to anticipate where the ball is going.

My guess is he'll spend quite a few years frustrating eagles supporters as he struggles to grasp the finer points of reading the play. As good as he is at the "see-ball-get-ball" style, I've seen nothing that makes him look like he will be able to anticipate where the ball is going.

Consistency through the middle and as a forward target. Not consistency racking up cheap stats as a loose and unaccountable midfielder. Won't be his strength and we won't develop him into another Cox.

Nah doubt it ay.

Consistency through the middle and as a forward target. Not consistency racking up cheap stats as a loose and unaccountable midfielder. Won't be his strength and we won't develop him into another Cox.

I'm not talking about racking up cheap stats, I'm talking about reading the plY and knowing where the ball is going to go, or thinking a step or 2 ahead of the play.
I think this is definitely something that can be learned or developed, but from what i've seen Naitanui is coming from a long way back in this area.

For that matter it might not be a problem, he might be dominant without needing to be able to do that. If he can get into set spots and his teammates bomb it to him, that might be enough.

And in terms of Cox getting cheap stats... it never hurts to have another link midfielder in there, especially if he doubles up as a gun ruckman. That frees up another player. Not exactly an obsolete skill.

Thats a maturity thing. He actually gets into allot of good positions, unfortunatly he is being told to run where a ruckmen would run. He needs to make position like a midfielder does.

He has plenty to learn but as he gels with the midfielder around him he will quickly learn where to position himself in respect to contests. As for his positioning around the ground while it needs improvement it's not dire, most of the work that needs to be done is when the opposition have the ball and thats running power related, he struggles to push back and forward all day and ends up looking a little lost in the middle (not a bad thing in the event of a turnover).

He has pushed back very well, he did this very well in a couple of games this season and obviously he's improving allot more when we have the ball as a forward. Shown signs that he can lead and create space.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back