MMA-UFC UFC 154 - GSP v Condit

Who Will win?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

GSP is an inspirational trainer, just seeing stuff like that makes me want to train. As somebody who's going through knee issues as well (albeit not nearly as bad) it's motivating to see how strongly he's returned.

GSP is an absolute beast! He trains like a machine! Some of the physio stuff that he was doing would seem pointless and monotonous, most people would struggle to stay motivated, but he is a freak!

Admittedly I haven't watched the Diaz/Condit fight in a while, but pretty much all the significant strikes I can recall came from Condit. Whether you look at significant strikes, overall strikes, or the fighters appearance afterwards it certainly looks like Condit had the better of the exchanges.

Octagon control can also be viewed as a subjective criteria. Yes Diaz walked forward for five rounds, but the fight for the most part was fought at Condit's preferred range which to me indicates that he was in control. Diaz always looks to engage his opponents in a close range fire fight, but Condit's footwork and use of angles and clever counters left him unable to effectively utilize his game plan.

Anyway, I'll re-watch the fight fight this afternoon and come back to you with my thoughts as I've ended up enjoying this debate. Thought you were a blatant troll at first, but you clearly know your stuff and should contribute more to this board. :)

Just finished re-watching UFC 143. My breakdown of the main event:

The first round was close, Condit appeared to land more, but Diaz landed the better shots and pushed him back the whole round. You could make a case for either guy, but I felt that Condit looked flustered by the pressure and wasn't able to land as clean or as hard. 10-9 Diaz.

The second was similar with Diaz continually pushing him back, but outside a few nice flurries I thought Condit was the one landing the majority of the shots. Diaz's plan to mock Condit in to standing and trading with him wasn't working, despite a number of attempts to do so and I think his inactivity cost him the round. 19-19.

Round three saw Condit start to look more comfortable and put some nice combo's together. Diaz was more active, but was eating more strikes than previous. 29-28 Condit.

Round four was arguably Condit's best of the fight. He landed some beautiful combo's, the low kick-punch-head kick being by far my favourite. 39-37 Condit.

Round five was more of the same, with Condit landing more frequently and harder with the effects starting to show on Diaz's face. It was shaping to be another clear 10-9 round until the takedown with a minute to go. I guess it depends on how you score fights as to your opinion of who won this round, but as Condit was not in real danger of being stopped I'm inclined to lean towards him or potentially an even round.

What cost Diaz the fight against Condit IMO? His taunting in the second round, plain and simple. It not only allowed Condit to snatch the second round but upped his confidence massively after a shaky start. If Diaz had worked to take the fight to the ground or to strike and make Condit work rather than taunting, the decision likely would have gone the other way.

I saw the fight pretty much the same way, with the exception of round 2. However, since you were willing to re-watch the fight with a refreshed open mind I will do the same - tonight if possible. And I will put aside my Diaz bias (as hard as that will be) :D

Thanks for the invite to post more around here!

i always thought condit won the fight abeit a close one

'i was just unimpressed with his performance'

go frenchy

Won't get a chance to review it until later in the week. In the interim though, I read something relevant last night on Bleacher Report - Top ten most controversial decisions of 2012. I knew Diaz and Condit would be close to number 1, and they were number one. It wasn't so much the article that was interesting, but the comments made on it were. Basically the opinion was split into two parts - Diaz won, mostly by people who seemed to be a fan of him, and Condit won, mostly by people who appeared to hate Diaz. It was hard to find an impartial comment. A polarising fighter is Diaz.

That GSP recovery video is insane - it's hard not to respect and like the man.

Just finished re-watching UFC 143. My breakdown of the main event:
Good analysis of the fight. I re-watched it earlier today and saw it similarly to how you did. The only round that wasn't close was round 4. The rest were all pretty close.

How I scored it:
Round 1: Diaz 10-9
Round 2: Condit 10-9
Round 3: Condit 10-9
Round 4: Condit 10-9
Round 5: Diaz 10-9
Overall: 48-47 Condit

And the individuals who should have the best idea on who won the fight but quite often don't scored it:

diaz-condit-judge-card.jpg

BradWCE Good work with the clips! Primetime and Countdowns are brilliant, especially if there is real hostile feelings between the fighters involved. Clever marketing ploy, as there have been many times I have not intended to buy a pay-per-view only to get sucked in at the last minute by the Countdown.

Should have UFC 143 either tonight or tomorrow. It should be interesting, as I haven't seen it since the original PPV. But what the F is with that scorecard? Even the most hardcore Diaz fans didn't have him winning round 3, but Cecil and Patricia thought that was the only round he won.

Watched the Diaz Condit match again last night. It really gets my blood pumping the way Condit's gameplan has always been and that it changed for this fight - Condit alluding "just doing what I was told to do" after the match ala. Greg Jackson. :(

I went back and watch Rory McDonald v Condit last night, I am gonna assume that maybe this was the reason for the gameplan style against an accomplished striker in Diaz. Just my first impressions so don't tear us up about this. :D

For the record, i'd love to see Rory vs Nick Diaz or even a rematch with Condit. Love this kid! Even though he dresses like an absolute nancy. :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have never seen how he dresses, but he is a machine with a lot of promise. Scary how he rag-dolled Nate Diaz for their fight. Haven't seen his fight vs Condit - will have to look it up.

Had a quick look at the scorecards on my phone yesterday, but couldn't make out the individual round scores. Have to agree that they are bizarre.... I thought most people were in agreement that rounds 3 and 4 went to Condit! Very surprised that all three judges gave Condit the first round too.

Have never seen how he dresses, but he is a machine with a lot of promise. Scary how he rag-dolled Nate Diaz for their fight. Haven't seen his fight vs Condit - will have to look it up.

Rory doing his Peter Parker impression:

420871_10151219033861276_186678243_n.jpg

Agree, the kid is an immense talent and I think a future champ at 170. Definitely check out his fight with Condit when you get the chance... was my first impression of Rory and he looked terrific. Was a cracking fight too!

It's going to be hard for him to fight his way back from that! I'm tipping he's a fan of Le Bron, but whereas Le Bron can get away with it, young Rory cannot.

I reckon he was 7 seconds from a draw with Condit personally.... if that third round wasn't on the way to being a 10-8, then no round should ever be.
I agree, was just about to say I recall the third round being worthy of a 10-8 if the fight wasn't stopped. Rory had the first two so a draw is what I think it would have been. Although I think I read that one judge scored the Teixeira/Maldonado first round 10-9, you never know with the judges.

You're probably right, but it only would've taken 1 judge to give it a 10-9 for him to win it, unless i'm mistaken re: the scoring rules?
29-28, 28-28, 28-28 would be a majority draw like in the Penn/Fitch fight.

I agree, was just about to say I recall the third round being worthy of a 10-8 if the fight wasn't stopped. Rory had the first two so a draw is what I think it would have been. Although I think I read that one judge scored the Teixeira/Maldonado first round 10-9, you never know with the judges.

29-28, 28-28, 28-28 would be a majority draw like in the Penn/Fitch fight.
Aaahh, I suspected that might be possible, cheers.

Back