Unofficial Preview Under 23's Adelaide vs Port Thebarton Oval, Saturday February 29, 11.50am, AFC Media live stream available

Remove this Banner Ad

For what was a bad year with everything going on we were still mathematically in a position to make the top 8 last year going into round 23 last year. Our lean years have still tended to yield mid table finishes. There was effort just not enough effort
We did have an easy draw but it was the games against the top 8 teams where we were in winning position and somehow everytime, we lost it in a quarter or a 10 minutes of no effort football (Geelong, West Coast and GWS at home spring to mind) and then toward the end of the season, the players seem to didn't care (we now know why) and lost to a few teams that we were favourite and should have beaten so we missed out on the 8.

The Good News
It was pre-planned that the Mighty Moose McPherson would only play a half. He did a number of 500 metre sprints at half time and looked fantastic. It’s a Five Year Plan!

Looking Good
After struggling to find the ball in the first half THE FOG went bang and we were away.
Chayce looks very good.
All our draftees showed a bit, my favourite was Josh Worrell.
Will Hamill had a strong second half. I love his speed and ball use.
Ned looked lively in the first half despite the tight hammy.
The Moose or should that be half a moose?

Too hard to call
Hartigan and Kelly did some good things but had the usual brain fades. Is it time to bite the bullet?
McAsey looked a bit lost early but improved as the game went on. He will get smashed by the quality tall forwards in the AFL but do we play him regardless?
Big Butts had a slow start but did some nice things as the game went on, I’m telling you he’s a chance.
Keays spent a lot of time on the wing and struggled to get into the game, still a chance.
PoHULKey tries to break tackles too often but he is very close to getting a game in Round One.
Crocker has weaknesses in his game but offers something different up front. IMHO it is between him and McAdam.
Davis may be the ultimate tease, just when I pencil him in for Round one he does something dumb.
Himmelton and Framptonberg; Do they both practice spilling easy marks? They get into good spots and then .....

Finally I take my hat off to Big Straunie. Rucked virtually all day and was so stuffed by the end of the game.
And I don’t know why I can never remember how Lachie Sholl played.

I don’t disagree that we have a major ruck problem looming.
We also have a shortage of electric pace and I would prefer us to grab hold of Matthews while we can. It is refreshing see him running away from direct opponents when he has possession. This is a very damaging quality to have... and Matthews has it - as well as having a decent kick on the run.
There are no guarantees that we can pick up a decent ruck at this point. Leave it til next draft.
If ROB gets injured, then that will hurt us, but the best time that could happen would be in a development year. Dropping down the ladder could be an advantage come draft time.
We need to draft Matthews in my opinion!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Matthews may have done an acl by the sound of it.

sloane and smith arent elite anymore? ok buddy. now thats what you call delusional.
Sloane is not elite, hes a champ a great clubman and player but he isnt a Fyfe, Dusty, Cripps, Kelly, Bontempelli. Those players tore him a new one last year.

Elite means the best of the best of your position.

I don’t disagree that we have a major ruck problem looming.
We also have a shortage of electric pace and I would prefer us to grab hold of Matthews while we can. It is refreshing see him running away from direct opponents when he has possession. This is a very damaging quality to have... and Matthews has it - as well as having a decent kick on the run.
There are no guarantees that we can pick up a decent ruck at this point. Leave it til next draft.
If ROB gets injured, then that will hurt us, but the best time that could happen would be in a development year. Dropping down the ladder could be an advantage come draft time.
We need to draft Matthews in my opinion!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Someone mentioned a season or two back we were into a SA ruckman that was still contracted for a while. I cant remember all the guesses but Draper got mentioned, Grundy was another but a few of us guessed CCJ and I still think that it was him. He's out of contract at the end of this season isn't he? If we have a fair idea we're getting him at the end of this year perhaps we rolled the dice on ROB by himself for this season? Can still get a ruck in the mid season draft or even now if ROB does hurt himself.

Also might have a shot at Tilthorpe in the draft this year, though he's more a forward ruck than a genuine ruck from what I understand.

watching the GWS Sydney match.... Hately is killing it. Also their youth is ridiculous there's about 8 young kids who can't break into the best 22 but would make most other sides.

The Good News
It was pre-planned that the Mighty Moose McPherson would only play a half. He did a number of 500 metre sprints at half time and looked fantastic. It’s a Five Year Plan!

Looking Good
After struggling to find the ball in the first half THE FOG went bang and we were away.
Chayce looks very good.
All our draftees showed a bit, my favourite was Josh Worrell.
Will Hamill had a strong second half. I love his speed and ball use.
Ned looked lively in the first half despite the tight hammy.
The Moose or should that be half a moose?

Too hard to call
Hartigan and Kelly did some good things but had the usual brain fades. Is it time to bite the bullet?
McAsey looked a bit lost early but improved as the game went on. He will get smashed by the quality tall forwards in the AFL but do we play him regardless?
Big Butts had a slow start but did some nice things as the game went on, I’m telling you he’s a chance.
Keays spent a lot of time on the wing and struggled to get into the game, still a chance.
PoHULKey tries to break tackles too often but he is very close to getting a game in Round One.
Crocker has weaknesses in his game but offers something different up front. IMHO it is between him and McAdam.
Davis may be the ultimate tease, just when I pencil him in for Round one he does something dumb.
Himmelton and Framptonberg; Do they both practice spilling easy marks? They get into good spots and then .....

Finally I take my hat off to Big Straunie. Rucked virtually all day and was so stuffed by the end of the game.
And I don’t know why I can never remember how Lachie Sholl played.
Sholl played ok. Did some silly kicks early but like the rest of the team got better. Was beaten a few times by his opponent so needs to get better there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

emoji-eggplant-1-0-png.831123
We need a better version of this emoji

emoji-eggplant-png.831120

Sloane is not elite, hes a champ a great clubman and player but he isnt a Fyfe, Dusty, Cripps, Kelly, Bontempelli. Those players tore him a new one last year.

Correct.

Hurts you saying this, but its true. Never been elite for us, but yes a great clubman and a champion of our Club.

Definitely not in the same league as Fyfe, Dusty etc.

disagree, Id have sloane before dangerfield.

Matthews may have done an acl by the sound of it.

When does the supplemental selection period end? How does it work in relation to the long term injury list? If we rate Matthews, can we grab him now in the SSP, then immediately put him on the long term injury list and then take another player eg a ruckman in the SSP?

disagree, Id have sloane before dangerfield.

Im sorry this is so wrong.

I dont like Danger as a person, but the guy has the ability to break a game open and tear it apart.

He is almost in Dusty's elite league, but its just his disposal under pressure and shot for goal can be sub standard at times.

Im sorry this is so wrong.

I dont like Danger as a person, but the guy has the ability to break a game open and tear it apart.

He is almost in Dusty's elite league, but its just his disposal under pressure and shot for goal can be sub standard at times.
cant kick dude. if your disposal under pressure is s**t and shots for goal are ordinary than how is he better than sloane? his acceleration and contested ball is elite but thats it.

brad crouch is elite at contested ball and has a decent kick but not the speed. dangerfield looks good when he runs. take that away from him and is he any good?

cant kick dude.

He can kick and sometimes does kick the unbelievable goal and the perfect pass.

His problem is that under pressure or in a pressure cooker game, his disposal can drop to that standard of a C grade player. All other aspects though of his game is elite.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back