VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank god for this , the board has become very quiet , was OTP's tipping comps the catalyst
Both you and Max have a presence here, Bedders. There's also a mod been added to create conversation. Anyone of you could do it due to OTP's less often appearances. All that's required is to create a template and update it weekly - easy-peasy.

I think Liz and Helen should use the facilities to get changed in before making such complaints. Councils are crying out for private investment, especially if it benefits rate payers with better facilities for all. The existing usage of the ground by the school or the time mentioned (20 hours) certainly doesn't seem constrictive on residents.

Its been a number of years since I was at Pine Lodge to play or watch but I look forward to De La returning in a few weeks.

Chump,

Over the last 20 years we have never played practice matches at Chelsworth due to curator of the ground insisting they lay turf over the hard wicket. We never get a home game in Round 1 either. We played our practice matches at Mernda.

In 2024 due to changing to carpet pile over the Hard Wicket meant we player a practice match and Round 1 at the Pine.

Won’t hurt to ask for 2025. We are also confined by cricket and cricket finals.
Sounds good Maxy as the ICC, who as you know are the summer tenants, gave us the all clear - actually suggested it.

I think it's a great opportunity for everyone involved if it remains a leased property that the community has access to moving forward. If not then it's not really community/council land and an extension of the school - without purchasing the land (so to speak).

Upgrading the facilities, paid for by the school, will add significant benefit to all sporting clubs associated across the Chelsworth precinct and is a great opportunity to consider - 100%.

I hope it get approved, as would be great for Ivanhoe community, but some usage guidelines need to be part of the approval so everyone is clear on who can determine who can use moving forward.

I think Liz and Helen should use the facilities to get changed in before making such complaints. Councils are crying out for private investment, especially if it benefits rate payers with better facilities for all. The existing usage of the ground by the school or the time mentioned (20 hours) certainly doesn't seem constrictive on residents.

Its been a number of years since I was at Pine Lodge to play or watch but I look forward to De La returning in a few weeks.
A quite entitled and demeaning post on your part GY. It's quite reasonable for those opposing these matters to express a strong point of view.

In my experience the line item for Parks and Gardens in most Councils is substantial. Which includes building and or renovating facilities. Often in partnership with State or Federal governments. A current instance is the new facilities at Toorak Park which I understand is being funded by Stonnington.

Shared arrangements can work at the discretion of the relevant public authority. However, essentially public land should remain just that, public.

I have no idea how to do it

Keep a spreadsheet with a tab for each division
Each tab has the rounds across the top and the tipsters down the side with various automatic totals

Each weekend grab a pen and write down the winners and losers for every division

Open the spreadsheet and go to the tab for Premier A
Go to the Premier A thread on bigfooty and find a post from last Sunday
Scroll through the posts to find the first tips
Compare the tips to the win list and obtain the number of correct picks
Sometimes you have to guess if the poster uses cute nicknames or in-jokes for teams and you're not part of that inner circle
Put that number for that poster for that round
Repeat until all tips are done for Premier A
Highlight and bold any fivers
Insert lowest picks and highlight green for any missed tipsters
Sort the data by total first then tipsters in alphabetical order
Save spreadsheet

Printscreen then open Photoshop
Paste the screenshot
Select the relevant area of the spreadsheet and crop
Resize
Save as a web-optimised .jpg with no metadata

Go back to Premier A and post the updated tips

2103a.jpg

Go to the next tab on the spreadsheet and repeat the above for B, C, D1, D2, D3 (and until this year D4)

When finished after an hour or so say "thank heck that's done for another week" and go to bed

Come back the following day to correct any mistakes which will have been helpfully pointed out, usually politely but there are always Those People

Do it for an entire year

Do it for more years until you retire and have had enough

I considered it part of my contribution to being a mod on BigFooty for 16 years and keeping the VAFA board alive

Now you have an idea how to do it, away you go

Sounds good Maxy as the ICC, who as you know are the summer tenants, gave us the all clear - actually suggested it.

I hope it get approved, as would be great for Ivanhoe community, but some usage guidelines need to be part of the approval so everyone is clear on who can determine who can use moving forward.
I believe it’s part of the new lease.

I believe it’s part of the new lease.
If it is in the NEW lease draft and the rules/guidelines are appropriate for community usage needs - then it shouldn't be a problem. But, If it's a 'cheaper way' for the school to 'gather land' with significant restrictions on local residents then you may have an issue.

I'm hearing council not overly sold on the longevity of the lease and starting to step away from such a long commitment. Might be open to 10 years, but 20+ seen as too long. This then creates issue for school re funding the pavilion's IF lease not long enough.

If done right EVERYONE wins - good luck Maxy

If it is in the NEW lease draft and the rules/guidelines are appropriate for community usage needs - then it shouldn't be a problem. But, If it's a 'cheaper way' for the school to 'gather land' with significant restrictions on local residents then you may have an issue.

I'm hearing council not overly sold on the longevity of the lease and starting to step away from such a long commitment. Might be open to 10 years, but 20+ seen as too long. This then creates issue for school re funding the pavilion's IF lease not long enough.

If done right EVERYONE wins - good luck Maxy
They will reap what they sew.

Has any community member tried to get in to Carey or Trinities playing fields. Clearly not coz you can’t. Chelsworth Park is open ever day of the year.

Just saying.

Chump would you spend $30m plus over the next 30-40 years without some minimal protection. I would think so.

They will reap what they sew.

Has any community member tried to get in to Carey or Trinities playing fields. Clearly not coz you can’t. Chelsworth Park is open ever day of the year.

Just saying.

Chump would you spend $30m plus over the next 30-40 years without some minimal protection. I would think so.
Maxy - don't get sensitive - I'm in support of it and will remain so, if certain parameters are placed into the lease. But, quite rightly I am asking that the 'public nature of the area' remains. Is that too much to ask for?
Or
should I just roll over and say - "no worries, the school can take all the public land they want because it builds some pavilions on it?". Ease up. It's my community and I'm just asking for some understanding on how the lease will work, if that's too much to ask ....then put the hat around, buy the land and build what you like without any restrictions!!

What IF, as community sport grows in the Ivanhoe area, as we all hope it does for everyone - the Grammar stops non-Grammar affiliated sporting clubs utilising this 'public' space? Who would that benefit?

Bring the community along for the process, get everyone involved to allay any concerns around future use and it can happen. Ring fence it for the benefit of 'a few'' and you will have 100 people out the front of local government saying WTF is happening here?

Maxy - don't get sensitive - I'm in support of it and will remain so, if certain parameters are placed into the lease. But, quite rightly I am asking that the 'public nature of the area' remains. Is that too much to ask for?
Or
should I just roll over and say - "no worries, the school can take all the public land they want because it builds some pavilions on it?". Ease up. It's my community and I'm just asking for some understanding on how the lease will work, if that's too much to ask ....then put the hat around, buy the land and build what you like without any restrictions!!

What IF, as community sport grows in the Ivanhoe area, as we all hope it does for everyone - the Grammar stops non-Grammar affiliated sporting clubs utilising this 'public' space? Who would that benefit?

Bring the community along for the process, get everyone involved to allay any concerns around future use and it can happen. Ring fence it for the benefit of 'a few'' and you will have 100 people out the front of local government saying WTF is happening here?
They already do. Local schools
Ivanhoe Harriers. Banyule Football club etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting comments by Hanneberry on SEN before , when the umps came out he said i hope they're better than VAFA ones !
Not all that prudent to be so publicly bad-mouthing umpires when you are a prominent (and assertive one I'm told) member of a senior coaching panel on a day when your team has been taken apart at the seams. Not much "appreciation" there.;)

They already do. Local schools
Ivanhoe Harriers. Banyule Football club etc.
I'll guarantee you the concerns of the council transcend beyond what you suggest is a full community facility.

I'll say it again - IF it's seen as a land grab by the school and ALL the community are worse off in terms of usage - you will have issues. Simple.

I hope it happens, but as it currently stands my understanding is there is a way to go to make council/community happy in relation to the T&C's of the lease. Sort that out and the community (and your club) will have some beautiful new facilities 👍

I'll guarantee you the concerns of the council transcend beyond what you suggest is a full community facility.

I'll say it again - IF it's seen as a land grab by the school and ALL the community are worse off in terms of usage - you will have issues. Simple.

I hope it happens, but as it currently stands my understanding is there is a way to go to make council/community happy in relation to the T&C's of the lease. Sort that out and the community (and your club) will have some beautiful new facilities 👍
Piss the dogs off for a start , see if they would open up the golf course for the yuppies

i'm running a tipping comp from this point forward in the season (check div 1 thread) for whoever is interested. we have missed the first five rounds but there are 6 divisions x 5 games/week x 13 weeks left = 390 home and away games left to tip which should create enough separation by season's end. rules are same as Denny Crane's tipping competition over on the Northern forum

This week's games
Premier
Collegians v St Bernard's
Old Melburnians v Uni Blacks
St Kevin's v Fitzroy
Old Brighton v Old Scotch
Uni Blues v Old Xaverians

Prem B
Old Haileybury v Caulfield Grammarians
Old Ivanhoe v De La Salle
Old Trinity v Old Geelong
St Bede's v Old Camberwell
Williamstown v Beaumaris

Prem C
Monash v Parkdale
AJAX v Hampton
Mazenod v Glen Eira
Oakleigh v PEGS
Marcellin v Old Carey

Div 1
Ormond v Preston
UHSVU v Prahran
Therry Penola v Old Peninsula
Kew v Parkside
West Brunswick v Old Yarra

Div 2
Whitefriars v Hawthorn Ammos
St Mary's Salesian v South Melbourne
Aquinas v Brunswick
Elsternwick v Bulleen Templestowe
Wattle Park v MHSOB

Div 3
Eley Park v Chadstone
La Trobe Uni v Swinburne Uni
Powerhouse v North Brunswick
Richmond Central v Albert Park
Canterbury v Box Hill North
(St John's BYE)

Good luck to all tipsters

i'm running a tipping comp from this point forward in the season (check div 1 thread) for whoever is interested. we have missed the first five rounds but there are 6 divisions x 5 games/week x 13 weeks left = 390 home and away games left to tip which should create enough separation by season's end. rules are same as Denny Crane's tipping competition over on the Northern forum

This week's games
Premier
Collegians v St Bernard's
Old Melburnians v Uni Blacks
St Kevin's v Fitzroy
Old Brighton v Old Scotch
Uni Blues v Old Xaverians

Prem B
Old Haileybury v Caulfield Grammarians
Old Ivanhoe v De La Salle
Old Trinity v Old Geelong
St Bede's v Old Camberwell
Williamstown v Beaumaris

Prem C
Monash v Parkdale
AJAX v Hampton
Mazenod v Glen Eira
Oakleigh v PEGS
Marcellin v Old Carey

Div 1
Ormond v Preston
UHSVU v Prahran
Therry Penola v Old Peninsula
Kew v Parkside
West Brunswick v Old Yarra

Div 2
Whitefriars v Hawthorn Ammos
St Mary's Salesian v South Melbourne
Aquinas v Brunswick
Elsternwick v Bulleen Templestowe
Wattle Park v MHSOB

Div 3
Eley Park v Chadstone
La Trobe Uni v Swinburne Uni
Powerhouse v North Brunswick
Richmond Central v Albert Park
Canterbury v Box Hill North
(St John's BYE)

Good luck to all tipsters
Is the idea to tip all the grades? Because I'm paying zero attention to any Div outside my teams haha

Is the idea to tip all the grades? Because I'm paying zero attention to any Div outside my teams haha
totally up to you. I'll count the leaderboard by percentage of correct tips because we started late so you don't have to do all 6 divisions. but dropping a tip when only tipping 1 division will give you a percentage of 80% (4/5) when dropping a tip when tipping all 6 will give you 97% (29/30)

also due to counting it by percentage there's going to be a minimum of 65 tips to qualify for the end leaderboard (5 tips/week x 13 rounds remaining)

Last edited:
The Thirds saga continues - anyone know what's happening with the Prem ladder/fixture?

It's getting worse, clubs asking players to double up already.

Some teams have played at 3 different start times in 3 weeks, certainly not easy to plan for a game when you don't know where and when you are playing till very late on Thursday.

A quite entitled and demeaning post on your part GY. It's quite reasonable for those opposing these matters to express a strong point of view.

In my experience the line item for Parks and Gardens in most Councils is substantial. Which includes building and or renovating facilities. Often in partnership with State or Federal governments. A current instance is the new facilities at Toorak Park which I understand is being funded by Stonnington.

Shared arrangements can work at the discretion of the relevant public authority. However, essentially public land should remain just that, public.

AM, if it came across like that I didn't mean it too.

I just felt the objections that were quoted were weak (possibly only ones available) and that wouldn't didn't quite stand up in a for and against comparison. As a rate payer in the area I have no issue with what the proposal is currently and what it is currently going to be.

I'd also raise the point that the general rate paying public over the last decade have had green space in all councils reduced significantly (By available usage hours). All community clubs increasing their footprint on ovals/grounds and facilities to close to seven days a week.

AM, if it came across like that I didn't mean it too.

I just felt the objections that were quoted were weak (possibly only ones available) and that wouldn't didn't quite stand up in a for and against comparison. As a rate payer in the area I have no issue with what the proposal is currently and what it is currently going to be.

I'd also raise the point that the general rate paying public over the last decade have had green space in all councils reduced significantly (By available usage hours). All community clubs increasing their footprint on ovals/grounds and facilities to close to seven days a week.

Wouldn't some of those rate payers be people who volunteer or are connected to those local sporting clubs?
also
'All community clubs increasing their footprint on ovals/grounds and facilities to close to seven days a week'.
Could be part of the reason local sporting clubs are mindful of schools taking over land IF the lease T&C's are not inline with the opportunity for council to allocate land - where required - to the growing number of participants. Banyule council is already under resourced for sporting grounds, as such this may be part of the reasoning for 'further discussion'.

Hopefully ALL parties find a way to MAKE IT HAPPEN as it could play a significant role in encouraging further participation growth within the community.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back