Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a few points -

• it was a technical free kick - it was no different than Rankine's last week but hey players run more than 15m all the time. Just have a look last night as a case in point
  • Collingwood were still 13 points up but didn't close it out
  • Vic media going ballistic when the boot is on the other foot. Love it.

24 times now...

Of course it would affect recovery and training. The point is smart clubs would tailor recovery and training based on their unique fixture in an attempt to optimise performance...it isnt a one size fits all.

All that time spent in the air, a good opportunity to get players to do opposition analysis, indivudal coaching video review sessions etc.

Currently yes.
I am all for abolishing AFL members, and giving more tickets to competing team clubs members.

Also dont mind the idea that the "higher ranked" qualifier gets a greater share of those tickets also. The only kicker with that is the AFL needs to then ensure finals system actually ranks who the best team is, as currently week2,week3 and week4 dont do this.

Yep agree, but it is slim.

This is the AFL wish, they want BLOCKBUSTERS at the G with 80k fans, and BOTH sets of fans rocking up.

If you have 50k Pies and 30k Dees, both teams have vocal support and the usual home advantage crowd impact is watered down.

There were bigger advantages back at the old suburban grounds, 95% Pies fans at VicParl, 95% Saints fans at Moorabbin..that was an intimidating environment for opposition players (and the umpires).

Apart from travelling further, which only applies to WA teams they really dont.

SA teams get 13 games in Adelaide, 11 with a genuine home ground advantage. This shits over anything a Melbourne based club gets.

Yep, it is why West Coast are one team who isnt given a 5 day break.

The AFL is already looking after WA teams with the FIXturing.

Why?

A better solution to reduce travel would be to relocate teams from Perth to the east coast.

Relocate teams from Perth to East Coast.

Are you for real?

Relocate teams from Perth to East Coast.

Are you for real?
Not really.

But if they want to resolve travel, it is clearly the best solution.

If a WA team wants to compete in a national competition, geography dictates they will travel further than all other teams.

Moving them east is about as reasonable as the ridiculous notion that they should be entitled to more home advantage games.

Not really.

But if they want to resolve travel, it is clearly the best solution.

If a WA team wants to compete in a national competition, geography dictates they will travel further than all other teams.

Moving them east is about as reasonable as the ridiculous notion that they should be entitled to more home advantage games.
You had no issues about the 2020 AFL season when the state of Victoria and the whole nation in general was stuffed by COVID?

Dilute the competition in Melbourne and relocate teams to other cities.

1 additional team in each major city. 1 in Tasmania. 1 in Darwin. Sorted.

Do a name out of a hate to see who gets relocated.

Dilute the competition in Melbourne and relocate teams to other cities.

1 additional team in each major city. 1 in Tasmania. 1 in Darwin. Sorted.

Do a name out of a hate to see who gets relocated.
Sounds reasonable.

But we already know that not enough supporters will follow the relocated teams, so we'll need to abolish all the current non-Vic teams, so we can start again and create new teams in those states with a more even distribution of support.

Current discussion on SEN crunch time.

They've gone over what we've all gone over here.

-The reasons the big vic clubs don't play in Tas, Geelong etc etc.
-Drafting and academies
-GF at the G

Etc etc etc etc.

We are eventually gonna get to a point where something or more to the point someone (i:e club(s)) will have to give way.

Seeing how that is not an option as has been discussed infinitum on these boards as to the reasons why.

Because fans and members will not compromise, there really is no way around this.

We either have to accept what we have, or, my preferred, is to go to a state conference model and then have a play off of champions.

The Eagles are concerned the match may have left the players of both clubs mentally, physically and emotionally drained leading into the finals.

The club had submitted its requests to the AFL before the end of this year's home-and-away season but chief executive Trevor Nisbett said he had been concerned about the draining effects of a derby in last year's submission and had repeated the concerns this year.

"We certainly don't want the derby in the last round and that was in our submission," Nisbett said. "As much as it is a great game for the supporters, it would still be a great spectacle if it was played in the fourth-last, third-last or second-last round."

Fremantle remains in favour of the match, preferring the tough derby to an away game in the final round.

Wouldn’t the pre finals bye mitigate that?

-Drafting and academies
-GF at the G

Etc etc etc etc.

We are eventually gonna get to a point where something or more to the point someone (i:e club(s)) will have to give way.

Seeing how that is not an option as has been discussed infinitum on these boards as to the reasons why.

Because fans and members will not compromise, there really is no way around this.

We either have to accept what we have, or, my preferred, is to go to a state conference model and then have a play off of champions.
Conference model of some sort is really the only way forward on this.

It has to be a state model, for example, clubs aren't gonna have a bar of being in a conference where they're interstate and other clubs aren't.

That'll turn fans and members off instantly.

The Wafl, sanfl, qfl, tfl ntfl nswfl, vfl would all be conferences and then a play off series of champions. How that play off series looks I don't know.

In any case we can't have truly equitable national comp, it just can't work because of mainly market and geography factors.

State model conferences is the answer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would we split up the vic sides into each conference?

With other things being bandied about a few thoughts I’ve had:

- WA clubs are always going to have to travel more in a national competition, even if you had an equal amount of sides in each state that would be the case.

- I do think WA, SA and Tassie have been taken for granted by the AFL for being heartland states so haven’t bothered as much catering to them as they consider them already conquered (Tassie situation now being sorted out and I imagine they will get an academy like the northern states)

- I’d give WA and SA clubs academies, I know it compromises the draft further but who cares. That will help ensure more WA and SA elite talent get to be at home from the start of their careers lessening any go home factor.

- Seems when tassie come in we will go to 24 games. Rotate the 2 gather rounds between NSW, QLD, SA and WA (I don’t think tassie needs a gather round but if it’s necessary why not). SA clubs have had extra home games effectively for gather rounds last 2 years, could do the same for other states. (Just rotate the vic sides doing the extra away games).

- if we eventually went the way of conferences, either now or later, but for arguments sake let’s say once we go to 20 teams with a theoretical Canberra side coming in, you could have 2 conferences, but how does one make 24 games work in such a scenario? Open to ideas here.

-Drafting and academies
-GF at the G

Etc etc etc etc.

State conference in we go back each state having their own leagues?

State conference in we go back each state having their own leagues?
Yep!

That way we have more even comps, travel is eliminated. Drafting is once again zoned. Eliminates go home factor (not forgetting the best players are lured to the biggest comp because of the biggest market)

The wafl and sanfl already exist, obviously the current vfl would have to disband and the current vic clubs make up the licencees in that league (which they already are a part).

AFAIK, there's still top tier leagues in all the footy heartland states and territories, even Qld and nsw.

Or we could just accept that some teams travel further than others like every other national sporting comp in the country and world does without carrying on as though it's a conspiracy?

Or we could just accept that some teams travel further than others like every other national sporting comp in the country and world does?
Really? Do they host grand finals and the comp HQ and any significant marquee games in the one city?

Really? Do they host grand finals and the comp HQ and any significant marquee games in the one city?
There's two peculiar things in the AFL rules in terms of advantage. The MCG grand final and the Northern clubs having preferential recruiting rules.

Everything else that people carry on about is standard in every other sporting comp in the world.

It's just a bunch of sad sacks trying to position themselves as victims and demanding a handicap.

Do the wa basketball and soccer team supporters carry on like this about their extra travel? If so the NRL are smart to not have a WA yea constantly whinging and expecting a handicap. No idea how SA are whinging when gather round has given them the advantage of a bonus home game.

In other sports do clubs from states that don't produve as many players expect a handicap like the Northern club fans carry on about?

You're not victims of an afl vicbias conspiracy, you're victims of shock jocks knowing that this sort of shit sells.

Last edited:
The biggest frustration for me with the whole VicBias thing is that if they are going to have the GF at the G then non victorian clubs should get as a minimum 5 games per year at the G.

Its an absolute joke that
A) Taylor Swift will play more at the G then we will this year and we play numerous away games against G tenants but dont play there
B) G Tenants move their games away from the G to their non main grounds against non vic clubs. We should be playing Melbourne at the G next week instead of Alice & we should be playing the Hawks at the G in R18 rather than Tassie.

Also as an aside- its an absolute joke that we couldnt get Ed Allan as a father son.
Inaugural captain, coach and a board member and there isnt enough evidence that hes a father son for us.

Fix these issues and the Vicbias stuff starts to diminish

Of course extra travel is a disadvantage, but let me know when cricket basketball and soccer turn their home and away comp into a home, home away comp to reduce travel for a WA team, and then I'll start to belieits a vicbias thing. What do other sporting comps around the world do for clubs from cities that have go travel further? Pretty sure it's nothing - anywhere.

And the disadvantage is being dramatically exaggerated.
You mean all the comps around the world stupid enough to have 10 teams in one place?

There's two peculiar things in the AFL rules in terms of advantage. The MCG grand final and the Northern clubs having preferential recruiting rules.

Everything else that people carry on about is standard in every other sporting comp in the world.
So running a national competition in which half the teams come from one city (Geelong is essentially a suburb of Melbourne now) isn’t a peculiar thing?

Well, I guess to Victorians, it’s not.

There’s no way in hell that if you were designing a national competition as a competition not money with no promotion and relegation, you would do that. It creates an entrenched advantage in so many aspects of the game.

You quoted other sports, you tell me the distribution of teams and travel and go from there.

So your “standard” quote above is absolute garbage.

24 times now...

Of course it would affect recovery and training. The point is smart clubs would tailor recovery and training based on their unique fixture in an attempt to optimise performance...it isnt a one size fits all.

All that time spent in the air, a good opportunity to get players to do opposition analysis, indivudal coaching video review sessions etc.

Currently yes.
I am all for abolishing AFL members, and giving more tickets to competing team clubs members.

Also dont mind the idea that the "higher ranked" qualifier gets a greater share of those tickets also. The only kicker with that is the AFL needs to then ensure finals system actually ranks who the best team is, as currently week2,week3 and week4 dont do this.

Yep agree, but it is slim.

This is the AFL wish, they want BLOCKBUSTERS at the G with 80k fans, and BOTH sets of fans rocking up.

If you have 50k Pies and 30k Dees, both teams have vocal support and the usual home advantage crowd impact is watered down.

There were bigger advantages back at the old suburban grounds, 95% Pies fans at VicParl, 95% Saints fans at Moorabbin..that was an intimidating environment for opposition players (and the umpires).

Apart from travelling further, which only applies to WA teams they really dont.

SA teams get 13 games in Adelaide, 11 with a genuine home ground advantage. This shits over anything a Melbourne based club gets.

Yep, it is why West Coast are one team who isnt given a 5 day break.

The AFL is already looking after WA teams with the FIXturing.

Why?

A better solution to reduce travel would be to relocate teams from Perth to the east coast.
Obviously evolution's a constant struggle for you.

So running a national competition in which half the teams come from one city (Geelong is essentially a suburb of Melbourne now) isn’t a peculiar thing?

Well, I guess to Victorians, it’s not.

There’s no way in hell that if you were designing a national competition as a competition not money with no promotion and relegation, you would do that. It creates an entrenched advantage in so many aspects of the game.

You quoted other sports, you tell me the distribution of teams and travel and go from there.

So your “standard” quote above is absolute garbage.
I don't hear the NZ warriors or Melbourne Storm sooking it up.

An extra home game than anyone else, but 5 additional return flights from Adelaide to Melbourne a year and you're carrying on as though the world is against you. It's ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back