Wayne Carey named football's greatest player (Mike Sheahan) pt2

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
i only started watching footy from '92 - and boy it was a tough initiation to the sport watching the Swans at the SCG with an average of 5-10k per week lose week-in and week-out.

Carey stands out to me in that time. the way he could turn a game on its head was a thing to behold. kouta did a few times but not how Carey could season in and out. ablett did some freakish s**t. junior has unbelievable skill and was still apparent in the bits i watched on easter monday. hird was also a player I'd pay to watch. never looked rushed and could take a mark that looked effortless. carey was more physical in his approach. also enjoyed watching SOS, but you'd have to debate whether his play could stand up today. I suppose it doesn't matter.

they're the ones who really stand out for me. matthews was before my time unfortunately.

if martin can continue the way he has the last couple of seasons, he'll be grouped with those above. you get excited when he gets near or hold of the ball. franklin is a great player, but seems to overplay it sometimes and can get his team into trouble taking on defenders one too many times.

Ablett Snr most talented, freakish etc by miles...had it all, speed, power, skills both sides, thumping kick, ridiculous goal sense, unbeatable on ground or in air at his peak but zero defensive pressure or team ethos, he never gave the impression it was about getting the team over the line or playing for (not just with) his team mates.

Can’t remember where I heard it or read it, but in one game v Eagles where Cats were being beaten and roughed up, at half time Gaz got up and started getting angry , basically drawing a line in the sand saying let’s smash this blokes, I’m sick of losing to these guys......I think that might have been the day he laid one of he great hip and shoulders on Worsfold and in the same play kicked a freakish team goal. If there had been more of that leadership in his career I don’t think anyone would even be mentioned in the same breath as him and Cats get a flag in early 90s somewhere.

Ablett Snr most talented, freakish etc by miles...had it all, speed, power, skills both sides, thumping kick, ridiculous goal sense, unbeatable on ground or in air at his peak but zero defensive pressure or team ethos, he never gave the impression it was about getting the team over the line or playing for (not just with) his team mates.

Can’t remember where I heard it or read it, but in one game v Eagles where Cats were being beaten and roughed up, at half time Gaz got up and started getting angry , basically drawing a line in the sand saying let’s smash this blokes, I’m sick of losing to these guys......I think that might have been the day he laid one of he great hip and shoulders on Worsfold and in the same play kicked a freakish team goal. If there had been more of that leadership in his career I don’t think anyone would even be mentioned in the same breath as him and Cats get a flag in early 90s somewhere.
Good comments, but I don't think any of us are in a position to know what really went on in the inner sanctum over his career. We had the great and late Paul Couch speak at a dinner some years ago, and he was a teammate and neighbour of the great man. He jokes about his aloofness, but also said there were many times he spoke and said things that inspired, and he said when Gazza spoke, EVERYBODY was attentive.

Last edited:
I’m only commenting on how Wayne Carey went against my team over his career. I take it he must have spanked plenty of other sides over the duration, but against the Pies he was average at best.
Carey played against Collingwood a total of 17 times.
His career stats in those 17 games are;
Kicks 189 (average 11)
Marks 109 (average 6)
Hand Balls 63 (average 4)
Goals 36 (average 2)
Biggest ever bag of goals 4.
Total Brownlow votes attained in 17 games v Collingwood = 5
So in 17 games against us he averaged 15 possessions and 2 goals.
They are decent stats at best. GOAT however, you are kidding.

Last edited:
Best player when on, Ablett senior.
Best player over his career, Leigh Matthews.
Best forward, Carey and Lockett about equal. Locket in his young days used to have about 3 players on him and still dominate.
Other like Hart could have been but for injury. Malcomb Blight was one I rated higher than most, incredible player when on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's underated.Was definately better than Kernahan. Five flags at center half forward is better than Sticks and took more pack marks than stand by your alcoholic captain

You have your opinion. I rate Sticks higher. Some would agree with me, some wouldn’t. Not sure you’d find anyone whose been watching football since before Dermie agree with him being in the top 10 of all time though.

I rate Kernahan above Breretton. Lockett was the best goal kicking forward but Dunstal changed the way forwards played as well as kicking bags.Dunstal was a great tackler and chaser.
I reckon Ablett and Matthew's would be awesome in this era and Carey, his club made him bigger and more important than the team and he acted like it too with his off field indescretions.
Sheehan plucked out a section of his career and got the stats from it to back up his arguement.
Carey is one of the greats and maybe the best in his position but I don't think he is he GOAT.
And IMO a bloke who smashes a glass in a woman's face shouldn't be on the tv, I dont care how good he was.

I agree with Mike.

1. Carey
2. Matthews

Ablett (Snr) and Daicos were the most gifted.

Daicos was a star, but he wouldn't be in Seniors level of natural talent.

Ablett could do everything Daicos could do and is another 5 levels in front as a mark.

You have your opinion. I rate Sticks higher. Some would agree with me, some wouldn’t. Not sure you’d find anyone whose been watching football since before Dermie agree with him being in the top 10 of all time though.
There was a period of 3 to 4 years that he was the most valuable player in the league (not MVP) Dunstall was spoon fed alot of goals and Brereton could hace kicked as many at full forward.He gets talked down alot because of his dirty play but he was also a brave player who threw his small frame into packs.Patrick Cripps is 3 inches taller than him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back