We should just go to the draft, I see no potential trades we actually need ...

Remove this Banner Ad

May 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I can't see anyone we need.

We have a special game style and we can continue to improve on it.

An extra tall as insurance as a forward ruck but otherwise we are still going to be very competitive in 2018.

It is an opportunity to consolidate, maybe tweak a few contracts perhaps adding a year or two but front loading a little to balance out the medium term.

Yes there may be the odd player we see which we might want but I don't think there is anyone gonna be available in trade that we actually need!

I’ve been thinking similar to this of late
The only real type of player we NEED imo would be a young kpf and anyone else who could play a similar role well just aren’t on the market at this point free agent or otherwise

And with the talk of next years draft being riddled with talent I would hate to go after a bigger fish this year and putting up to trade future picks for next year

Stringer & Schache are the only players that have been made public that i wouldnt mind at Richmond , I think talent doesnt just Vanish and both have shown enough to warrant taking with late 1st rounders.

But there are kids that 'May' be good in the draft but the kids are always a big risk also , Sometimes i go through the drafts of years gone by and the amount of kids that got talked up but never actually become anywhere near what was thought they would be is massive

Unless you have a top 5 pick its a massive risk and sometimes it pays off but alot of time it doesnt as well

Stringer & Schache are the only players that have been made public that i wouldnt mind at Richmond , I think talent doesnt just Vanish and both have shown enough to warrant taking with late 1st rounders.

But there are kids that 'May' be good in the draft but the kids are always a big risk also , Sometimes i go through the drafts of years gone by and the amount of kids that got talked up but never actually become anywhere near what was thought they would be is massive

Unless you have a top 5 pick its a massive risk and sometimes it pays off but alot of time it doesnt as well

I dont think we need Stringer at all. A young potential, physical, adaptable KPF... yes. But he needs to have some campaigner about him.

I dont think we need Stringer at all. A young potential, physical, adaptable KPF... yes. But he needs to have some campaigner about him.

Your kidding yeah ? Stringer would create unbelievable headache's for the opposition defenders alongside Jack riewoldt and the mosquito's as well as having the ability to rotate with Dusty & Caddy

For me he is a perfect fit

A big no to Stringer. We don't need some campaigner coming in with his s**t arse attitude. If he couldn't fix it while at the Bulldogs noting is going to change at another club.

Isn't it great?

In the past, it's always 'Oh, god, we really need the draft to pick up a few kids who will be stars. We are so crap, we should trade out all our bottom 30 on the list for more draft picks and trust we get lucky'.

Now it's - 'We're so good, we should dominate for the next few years, let the other club's have the Free agents and draft picks as a sort of charity'.

We have to manage the list, guys. Astbury took 5-6 years to get good. Rance 3-4. Martin was a star year 1-2, then a bit flat, then picked up again. Lambert took 3 years to get good - and he didn't debut until he was 23. We have no second ruck (maybe Soldo will get there) , none of our non-Jack KPFs have taken a mark in the seniors for 6 months (if ever), and our leading goalkicker in the reserves is barely 6ft tall.

'Jack Graham will be a star and next captain etc'. Graham has played 5 games without any tag, and is averaging 14 disposals a game.

We can't just rely on finding more small forwards to run around tackling. We must treat this draft/trade period as if we are trying to build a premiership team for now until 2030.

Hope we approach the top 10 forwards in the league, contracted or not. Might entice one over. Griffiths and Moore may be ok next year still. Gotta draft Naish and best tall forward available

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can Griffiths become a "down the line" contested mark? We need +3 per game, and another +2 clearances after a marking contest. At the moment we are giving up too many repeat inside 50's following a point or deep F50 entry by the opposition.

If not Griffiths, who? Riewoldt can do it, but he needs to stay in our forward half otherwise we have no-one to kick to. Elton is useless. Chol has no football sense. Soldo might be able to fill this role, but he is so lumbering he looks a liability elsewhere. Moore might not be ready yet for a "bang and crash" role.

As I've said before, I'd like to see what a trade for Mark Blicavs would cost us at the trade table. He's wasted at Geelong, because he doesn't have a position. I'd be interested to see what he could bring to our group as a mobile CHF and second ruck.

Cheers.

Dave P.

Go to the draft and take Patrick Naish and hope that Oscar Allen is around too.

Oscar Allen
Key Position Forward (West Perth/Western Australia)
19/03/1999 | 191cm | 83kg

Scouting notes: Tall Utility who can play at either end but mostly looks likely to settle forward. Marks well overhead and moves well for a player over 190cm. Good decision maker and impressed inside 50 in the WA trials. Named co-captain for Western Australia in the National Under 18 Championships and was the Larke Medalist judged the best player in the carnival. Looms as one of the first WA players selected. Very good endurance base.

Last month: Played his second WAFL Seniors game for West Perth with a similar output to his first, with nine disposals and five marks. He then returned to the WAFL Colts, but showed he was far too good for that level – recording 28 disposals, 10 tackles and seven marks.

Go to the draft and take Patrick Naish and hope that Oscar Allen is around too.

Oscar Allen
Key Position Forward (West Perth/Western Australia)
19/03/1999 | 191cm | 83kg

Scouting notes: Tall Utility who can play at either end but mostly looks likely to settle forward. Marks well overhead and moves well for a player over 190cm. Good decision maker and impressed inside 50 in the WA trials. Named co-captain for Western Australia in the National Under 18 Championships and was the Larke Medalist judged the best player in the carnival. Looms as one of the first WA players selected. Very good endurance base.

Last month: Played his second WAFL Seniors game for West Perth with a similar output to his first, with nine disposals and five marks. He then returned to the WAFL Colts, but showed he was far too good for that level – recording 28 disposals, 10 tackles and seven marks.
another state captain and Larke medallist - Yes pleaase!!

Impossible wish list - would love to add Kruezer to the side to support Nank and give us another tall option forward. Just re-signed with Carlton but I'm reliably informed he had a poster of Trent Cotchin on his wall growing up.

i
Impossible wish list - would love to add Kruezer to the side to support Nank and give us another tall option forward. Just re-signed with Carlton but I'm reliably informed he had a poster of Trent Cotchin on his wall growing up.
i heard Richo had a poster of Jack Graham on his wall growing up

I think the main consideration in any trade or draft decisions we make will be whether we can improve on our proven successful innovative strategy to only use a single dedicated ruckman for an entire game. I think this actually started towards the end of last year when Grigg took on some contests around the ground. And we confirmed our lack of interest in competitive around the ground ruck contests in this year's GF when Daniel Rioli actually competed with Jacobs at boundary contests in the final quarter. Other Clubs will be on to this next year however but I don't doubt that Dimma and his advisers will be working on that too.

We clearly need back up should Nank go down for any period of time but whether that back up takes the form of a dominant ruck like Gawn or Goldstein is questionable. We need competence rather than excellence in our second string ruckman. Whether our current stocks can provide that is a matter for our football department to make a judgment.

Similarly, we need back up for Jack, whose main job now seems to be to bring our mozzies into the game. That at face value suggests the need for a mobile player around the 195 cm range with an elite tank and skills to play high or deep. That disqualifies Schache, who Balme and the player's manager has already said is off the table. However, a Jeremy Cameron type, or even Cameron if available, would be perfect.

For the rest, we have inside and outside midfield depth, an established well functioning back six and some exciting up and coming newbies whose development should be the focus of our attention. For the first time in living memory, we are positioned to consolidate and improve rather than find players to fill holes. It's a good position to be in.

Can Griffiths become a "down the line" contested mark? We need +3 per game, and another +2 clearances after a marking contest. At the moment we are giving up too many repeat inside 50's following a point or deep F50 entry by the opposition.

If not Griffiths, who? Riewoldt can do it, but he needs to stay in our forward half otherwise we have no-one to kick to. Elton is useless. Chol has no football sense. Soldo might be able to fill this role, but he is so lumbering he looks a liability elsewhere. Moore might not be ready yet for a "bang and crash" role.

As I've said before, I'd like to see what a trade for Mark Blicavs would cost us at the trade table. He's wasted at Geelong, because he doesn't have a position. I'd be interested to see what he could bring to our group as a mobile CHF and second ruck.

Cheers.

Dave P.

I've always wondered if Griff knows how to use his body in 1 on 1 contests. He never seems to stand man on man and hold his opponent to create an area where he can take an easy mark in the end. He always seems to allow his opponent to able to jump at the ball. It seems so easy to do for a 200cm and 105kg forward. Why doesn't he ever do it though.

Go the draft, unless we can get someone like Schache. Fill that 2nd KPF. If Griff is fine concussion wise cause they worked it out then OK. Otherwise we need another ready to go player.

re the draft we'll have fair idea where Naish will be bid on. If it's around/before our picks try to trade them to get and earlier first + early 2nd.

Just because we won the flag doesn't mean our list is complete!

Sure we have got the very best out of our players and have developed a game style suited to our lists strengths, but we still need a second marking target who is capable of giving Nank a chop out. Griff has proven over an extended period his body probably isn't up up it so while i'd be keeping him around, I'd be looking for someone to replace Elton's spot on the list. I'd also be looking to add another KPD to our list. We were kissed on the dick by the lack of injuries this season, and Gathwaite was our next in line to replace Rance or Astbury if injury struck.

Tom Lynch is the player i'd be going hard for, see if we get prize him out prior to being a FA. If there was ever a time to sell our club, it is now. Just won a flag, have played in front of 3 94k+ crowds at the G. Come on Tommy, come play with your mates Dion and Josh :thumbsu:

Stringer has more baggage than Yarran. No way.
Can someone tell me whether we can trade enough players to get enough 2nd or 3rd or 4th round picks to get the points required to get Naish without giving up a 1st rounder?

Ok, I'm going to say it out loud. I would love Stringer at Richmond.

I think surrounded by the right people he could be a gun. Give him a season under Leppa and he'll set him straight. He's still a young bloke with a lot of maturing to do and has all the traits to be a superstar. Would be a great successor for Jack. He's athletic enough to be a player that can chase and tackle and also be a lead up marking option.

MAKE IT HAPPEN

Remove this Banner Ad

Back