Player Watch Chayce Jones - Re-Signed to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

The business models have already been done, Tasmania can support a team. Also, if population is a problem... 550,000 Tasmanians supporting one team is not much different to 1,200 000 people in Adelaide supporting two teams (or nobody supporting Gold Coast). Geelong's population is less than Hobart alone. Like Tasmania is a bigger population than the biggest cities in Portugal, and they are home to professional teams that make way more money than AFL. Population isn't even close to being a problem for a Tasmanian team.

Also, the Hurricanes are doing fine so Tasmania can support a team, especially an AFL team which the whole state gets behind.

I don’t know the business case. But they are mad footy fans like you guys, us and wa. I think people expect 40k a game or it’s not good enough. I doubt they have trouble matching GCS ground numbers. Would they get more fans per game if they split every other game between Launceston and Hobart? One game every month would keep them keen.

TV numbers would be the problem. Both Queensland teams get the lowest when looking at the national numbers. How would Tasmania go in comparison? Also, the current Tassie games are often poor viewing due to the conditions. I don’t think I will be tuning in.

I think ultimately this will come down to TV viewers. Is that what the business case considers because it would be hard to estimate until it happens.

Interested to know if it was Jones that GWS were going to grab by trying to secure pick 7 from Bullies which was the rumour in days leading to draft. Assume so based on most clubs seemingly having a good feel of who goes where in round 1

It was Caldwell according to Twomey who they got anyway. They must have got word he was going to slip and didnt pull the trigger on the trade.

The business models have already been done, Tasmania can support a team. Also, if population is a problem... 550,000 Tasmanians supporting one team is not much different to 1,200 000 people in Adelaide supporting two teams (or nobody supporting Gold Coast). Geelong's population is less than Hobart alone. Like Tasmania is a bigger population than the biggest cities in Portugal, and they are home to professional teams that make way more money than AFL. Population isn't even close to being a problem for a Tasmanian team.

Also, the Hurricanes are doing fine so Tasmania can support a team, especially an AFL team which the whole state gets behind.

It’s going to be expensive getting those free busses to the game from all parts of Tassie though or will 15K crowds be a pass mark.
I guess they won’t have to fork out $500-600M for a stadium to hold 50k. Which is a bonus.

What’s Jones’ stand out AFL trait? Reading a bit Richard Douglas like so far.
Hes an elite runner, has a huge leap and fantastic kick on both sides.

But if he finishes his career with a BnF, numerous top 10s and 250 games I think we will have drafted a winner.

Hes an elite runner, has a huge leap and fantastic kick on both sides.

But if he finishes his career with a BnF, numerous top 10s and 250 games I think we will have drafted a winner.

Better kick than I realised, good to hear.

Dougy has been a solid citizen for a number of years. But I’m sure most of us are hoping our highest pick in years might eclipse that.

It’s going to be expensive getting those free busses to the game from all parts of Tassie though or will 15K crowds be a pass mark.
I guess they won’t have to fork out $500-600M for a stadium to hold 50k. Which is a bonus.
A Tasmania team will fill stadiums, nobody cares to watch Hawthorn or North Melbourne.

I don’t know the business case. But they are mad footy fans like you guys, us and wa. I think people expect 40k a game or it’s not good enough. I doubt they have trouble matching GCS ground numbers. Would they get more fans per game if they split every other game between Launceston and Hobart? One game every month would keep them keen.

TV numbers would be the problem. Both Queensland teams get the lowest when looking at the national numbers. How would Tasmania go in comparison? Also, the current Tassie games are often poor viewing due to the conditions. I don’t think I will be tuning in.

I think ultimately this will come down to TV viewers. Is that what the business case considers because it would be hard to estimate until it happens.
Player retainment and big corporate support main stumbling blocks

And of course it’s easy as it is because tasmanians already love football

What’s Jones’ stand out AFL trait? Reading a bit Richard Douglas like so far.
Endurance running and competitiveness ( also a very good kick and tackler)

He’s basically got a very well rounded game , he’s more like Sloane than Douglas but a better runner ( speed/endurance same age) and more natural kick at (same age )

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyway, like how can Portugal support a bunch of very professional high paid soccer clubs when their biggest city has a population lower than Tasmania, and their second biggest city = Hobart
Easy, it's made possible by an unhealthy obsession with soccer and the miracle of corruption. You're not a bona fide club president over there until you've been arrested at least once.:p

Easy, it's made possible by an unhealthy obsession with soccer and the miracle of corruption. You're not a bona fide club president over there until you've been arrested at least once.:p
But seriously, because it is an argument way too many people repeat and isn't even true, there are so many successful professional sporting teams around the world would love to have a home population of 520 000 like Tasmania. Salt Lake City, Orlando, Cincinnati, Buffalo... all have less population than Hobart and have major NFL teams. I cant stop facepalming when I hear that argument. The AFL could put a team in Hobart and call it the "Hobart - Definitely not Launcestons" and it could still be successful.

But seriously, because it is an argument way too many people repeat and isn't even true, there are so many successful professional sporting teams around the world would love to have a home population of 520 000 like Tasmania. Salt Lake City, Orlando, Cincinnati, Buffalo... all have less population than Hobart and have major NFL teams. I cant stop facepalming when I hear that argument. The AFL could put a team in Hobart and call it the "Hobart - Definitely not Launcestons" and it could still be successful.
I just thought I'd provide some insight into that particular point you made due to personal experience.;)

Don't get me wrong, I'd like Tasmania to have their own team, though admittedly I don't know if it's viable.

IMO I think Tasmania are at least 10 to 15 years away from getting a team

And with his mum from Adelaide, we could assume he have close family in the city to help him settle even quicker.
Canberra will get one before Tasmania - by 2030 the ACT will have as many people as Tasmania.

And Canberra is not about to get a team.

A Tasmania team will fill stadiums, nobody cares to watch Hawthorn or North Melbourne.

But if the team is based in Hobart, will people from Launceston support it or vice-versa?

USA count population as CBD im pretty sure, not greater metro area as we do here. All those cities are far bigger than Hobart if you use the same metric.

It was Caldwell according to Twomey who they got anyway. They must have got word he was going to slip and didnt pull the trigger on the trade.
Both Caldwell/Jones were close together talent-wise as midfield prospect, Twomey had us taking Caldwell and was the first "shock" of the draft so he want with that angle...…..

Canberra will get one before Tasmania - by 2030 the ACT will have as many people as Tasmania.

Isn't a part of GWS long term strategy involving Canberra?

Tassie Devils will have a team in the TAC Cup Comp again next season, not sure what the Comp will be called next year with the TAC sponsorship winding up I think. That's a start. Can't see Canberra getting ateam unless GWS relocate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back