• 6 -> 10

Votes: 23 23.2%
  • 11 -> 15

Votes: 37 37.4%
  • 16+

Votes: 37 37.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Strange comparison to Chad Warner. I've been very happy with how Tanner has been tracking, but Warner is well ahead of Tanner at this stage, and there's no shame in that.

Chad, as a very young man, was one of only two or three shining lights in Sydney's GF loss. I was there and saw his efforts live, and how hard he worked. The kid is a star.

It's a nice graph. I like it.

It does show Bruhn this year having Warner from last year covered on a few things if the TOG multiplier worked like that in real life.

It still shows Warner ahead in several very important categories, such as Goals, Behinds, Goal Assists, Score Involvements, Meters Gained, and Intercepts.

You initially said when you adjust TOG that Bruhn comfortably has Warner covered... Him still being behind Warner on a bunch of very important stats like the ones above doesn't have him comfortably ahead for mine.

What it shows is Bruhn possibly could get the ball more and tackle more... but it's not how many times you get the ball, it's what you do with it, and Warners stats hurt more.

Bruhn is doing really well this year. I'm not taking a crack at him and the graph is really positive.

I will say I'm not sure you just stick a guy on the ground for X amount longer and he will continue the same output... Otherwise you'd just leave Warner on the ground for 100% of game time and he'd multiply his goals/score involvements etc.

The reality is that Bruhn and most of our mid are played in bursts, so they spend less time on the ground but are possibly recharged more when they are on the ground. Bruhn (or all our mids) would probably take a hit in effectiveness if they spent that much extra time on the ground... I certainly don't think it would multiply evenly... Sure numbers would go up but I don't assume they would at the same rate as when player is fresher when on the ground.

Don't forget that Bruhn is hardly getting any time put into him by opposition players, whilst Warner is watched very closely and sometimes tagged... If Warner could play as free as Bruhn his numbers would be even higher, but opposition coaches won't allow it because he has an elite hurt factor and would chop any team up.

1.3 goals per game this year for Warner as a mid. The guy is seriously elite. Judd like to my eye and for Bruhn to be mentioned in the same convo as him is a good sign, even though they are very different players.
-
Including Melbourne we play Sydney in another 6 matches at SCG, it would be great if Chad Warner and Tanner Bruhn matched up for at least 30% of the game, if so I think you'll find Tanner is well up to matching it with Chad, especially in tight. Tanner has come along way in a very short time and I think you'll find in that Sydney game he'll more than hold his own. Chad was once easily the better player but not now and that's no knock on Chad just a big tick for Tanner.

-
Including Melbourne we play Sydney in another 6 matches at SCG, it would be great if Chad Warner and Tanner Bruhn matched up for at least 30% of the game, if so I think you'll find Tanner is well up to matching it with Chad, especially in tight. Tanner has come along way in a very short time and I think you'll find in that Sydney game he'll more than hold his own. Chad was once easily the better player but not now and that's no knock on Chad just a big tick for Tanner.
Chadwick is still easily better.

That's no knock on Bruhn, but Warner is just elite.

Bruhn is tracking to have an elite inside game though, which is great for us.

Footy is a team game.

It's about the bonding, the unity, the synchronicity, the energy that a team is able to produce collectively.

Tanner is playing a role for a team that's 7 zip.

Chard is doing the same in a team that is 6 - 1.

The win, so far in 2024, therefore goes to Tanner for me.

He's also had to start over with a new team, understand and co-operate with a new work ethic, and earn his spot as an important part in the GFC machine.

Scott & Co obviously believe in him, and they've demonstrated time and again how much more savvy they are than us mugs. Their vote of confidence is enough for mine.

Footy is a team game.

It's about the bonding, the unity, the synchronicity, the energy that a team is able to produce collectively.

Tanner is playing a role for a team that's 7 zip.

Chard is doing the same in a team that is 6 - 1.

The win, so far in 2024, therefore goes to Tanner for me.

He's also had to start over with a new team, understand and co-operate with a new work ethic, and earn his spot as an important part in the GFC machine.

Scott & Co obviously believe in him, and they've demonstrated time and again how much more savvy they are than us mugs. Their vote of confidence is enough for mine.
Tanner wins so far this year over Warner because Geelong are 7 - 0?

Does that mean Ollie Henry wins over Heeney, or Stanley over Pittonet?

I think it's pretty clear that scaling up a stat for game time is a pretty shaky basis for comparison.

But Tanner plays for Geelong and is also better looking so he is a better player QED
It's flawed but I would still argue that it is less flawed than taking a 63% game time player and pretending their minutes were the same as an 85% player with more disposals.

Somewhere in the middle is probably about right. Or we need to stop being so obsessed by disposal counts when we have so many midfielders who simply spend a lot less time on the field than your average midfielder, or especially your typical topliner.

He's a midfielder now. Henry would be compared to Hayward or someone.
True... Compare him to any mid in the AFL if it makes it a better match.

Tanner > Bont, Heeney, Tom Greene and Warner this year because Geelong are 7 - 0

Hawkins > Curnow, Hogan.

Stanley > Gawn.

I'm talking about individuals here, not team success.

Clearly it's Geelong > other teams but that doesn't mean every player that plays for us is ahead of all other players.

Tanner is doing well and contributing... Warner is still simply better.

I'm not even pushing the case of Bruhn's contributions here, he is doing well whilst still having plenty of room to improve.

I'm pushing when I see Warner being somewhat disrespected.

We'd all be drooing if Warner was a cat.

Tanner > Bont, Heeney, Tom Greene and Warner this year because Geelong are 7 - 0

Hawkins > Curnow, Hogan.

Stanley > Gawn.

Clearly it's Geelong > other teams but that doesn't mean every player that plays for us is ahead of all other players.

I'm not even pushing the case of Bruhn's contributions here, he is doing well whilst still having plenty of room to improve.

Fair enough.

I hadn't seen the disrespect of Warner, so didn't fully understand your perspective.

Chad is indeed good, and I reckon Tanner will continue to improve as well. He'll be a solid player for us imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawkins > Curnow, Hogan.

Stanley > Gawn.

A) It wasn't my argument
B) I'm happy with Tanner's development without needing a microscopic comparison with other midfielders. He's around the 30 game mark as a midfielder after flitting around on a flank at GWS
C) I haven't passed comment on Warner at all

Its quite interesting what Geelong are doing with their midfielders this season.
The Time On Ground for all our midfielders is WAY below AFL average, no wonder no Geelong player has topped 30 possessions in a game this season.

Bruhn 63.8%
Parfitt 66%
Stanley 75.6%
Conway 68.2%
Bowes 62% **
Atkins 61% **
Clark 52% **
Danger 68.5% **
Blitz 80.6% (played mainly wing with some Mid/Ruck)

** - has started as or been subbed off

For reference, some opposition main midfielders ToG -

Rowell 80.7%
Libba 79%
Cripps 82%
Merrett 84%
Rozee 81%
Heeney 79.7%
N Anderson 86%
Butters 81%
Serong - 80%
Steele - 83%
Walsh 79.8%
L Neale 81%
De Goey 83%

Its quite interesting what Geelong are doing with their midfielders this season.
The Time On Ground for all our midfielders is WAY below AFL average, no wonder no Geelong player has topped 30 possessions in a game this season.

Bruhn 63.8%
Parfitt 66%
Stanley 75.6%
Conway 68.2%
Bowes 62% **
Atkins 61% **
Clark 52% **
Danger 68.5% **

Rowell 80.7%
Libba 79%
Cripps 82%
Merrett 84%
Rozee 81%
Heeney 79.7%
N Anderson 86%
Butters 81%
Serong - 80%
Steele - 83%
Walsh 79.8%
L Neale 81%
De Goey 83%
You can tell by the amount of players for us that record a clearance that we run more players through the middle in bursts compared to other e.g Against Carlton i think we had 6 players not record a clearance where as Carlton had i think had 12 not record a clearance.

Bruhn 63.8%
Parfitt 66%
Stanley 75.6%
Conway 68.2%
Bowes 62% **
Atkins 61% **
Clark 52% **
Danger 68.5% **

Rowell 80.7%
Libba 79%
Cripps 82%
Merrett 84%
Rozee 81%
Heeney 79.7%
N Anderson 86%
Butters 81%
Serong - 80%
Steele - 83%
Walsh 79.8%
L Neale 81%
De Goey 83%
-
Mangy Carl: it should be noted that although Geelong is 'collectively' 17th for clearances, we are 3rd when it comes to the opposition having dirty or unmeaningful clearances which is a huge advantage to us because unlike most other teams in comp we have strengths everywhere else, hence why we're number one for scoring off turn-overs which is the most important stat in game by a fair margin. So the likes of Bruhn, Parfitt, Bowes, etc are doing an remarkable job, as per every other Geelong player currently, let's just hope it stays that way.

Bruhn 63.8%
Parfitt 66%
Stanley 75.6%
Conway 68.2%
Bowes 62% **
Atkins 61% **
Clark 52% **
Danger 68.5% **

Rowell 80.7%
Libba 79%
Cripps 82%
Merrett 84%
Rozee 81%
Heeney 79.7%
N Anderson 86%
Butters 81%
Serong - 80%
Steele - 83%
Walsh 79.8%
L Neale 81%
De Goey 83%
Don’t let good stats ruin a good thing.
Bruhn isn’t that good and him not getting 30 and kicking a goal means he is tracking terribly

Bruhn 63.8%
Parfitt 66%
Stanley 75.6%
Conway 68.2%
Bowes 62% **
Atkins 61% **
Clark 52% **
Danger 68.5% **

Rowell 80.7%
Libba 79%
Cripps 82%
Merrett 84%
Rozee 81%
Heeney 79.7%
N Anderson 86%
Butters 81%
Serong - 80%
Steele - 83%
Walsh 79.8%
L Neale 81%
De Goey 83%
Great work - it's nice to see what we have all observed, put in exact quantitative terms.

Then if you look at Geelong's total disposals, we are middle of the road in the competition (10th, to be exact) but concede the 3rd most disposals to opposition.

All of this supports our game plan of rolling extra players through midfield (many flankers/wingers pick up clearances), using a high number of genuine midfielders as burst/pressure players and forcing opposition into scrappy or non-damaging disposals that allow us to intercept, scoring efficiently on the turnover.

So while it's not quite as simple as saying Bruhn or Bowes on 80% game time would mean they'd average 26-27 disposals a game (as they are both averaging 20 touches per non-sub game on their low 60s % game time), you can certainly say they are quite prolific when they are out there. Compared to say Atkins whose 14 disposals even on low game time do represent him being a bit more quiet. Same with Clark, although we'd expect that for a kid.

Back