Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Signed to the end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like to see the split be 75/25 in midfield way, far better midfielder than he is forward these days and it has been that way since 2017.
Pretty hard to do that with Breust out. Gunston is the only other forward we have that can kick multiple goals in a match.
I reckon playing him forward means we get very little out of him at all. At least if we play him 70/30 (or whatever) mid, he's got a chance of getting 25+ possies & 2 goals & actually impacting the game. Playing him 70/30 forward means he'll get 12ish possies & maybe 2 goals.

Our midfield absolutely lacks a dynamic & creative player.

I reckon playing him forward means we get very little out of him at all. At least if we play him 70/30 (or whatever) mid, he's got a chance of getting 25+ possies & 2 goals & actually impacting the game. Playing him 70/30 forward means he'll get 12ish possies & maybe 2 goals.

Our midfield absolutely lacks a dynamic & creative player.
Agreed. Was absolutely flabbergasted he wasn't run through the centre in the first quarter or at the very least early second.

Gee he was frustrating today. I am not sure what to make of Chad.

In part, I think Clarko has ruined him since he has moved him back to permanently forward. But gee, he is making bad decisions, missing easy kicks and not capitalising on opportunities. He should have kicked four and been the match winner today such was his opportunity, instead, a bloke with half his natural ability up the other end was the match winner.

I am getting the distinct feeling this guy is simply cream. Blrg.

Gee he was frustrating today. I am not sure what to make of Chad.

In part, I think Clarko has ruined him since he has moved him back to permanently forward. But gee, he is making bad decisions, missing easy kicks and not capitalising on opportunities. He should have kicked four and been the match winner today such was his opportunity, instead, a bloke with half his natural ability up the other end was the match winner.

I am getting the distinct feeling this guy is simply cream. Blrg.
He and Sicily are the only players we have who are dangerous and damaging. But he is very inconsistent.

He’s my favourite player on our list for the above reason - he and Sicily are the only two worth watching.

I suspect we weren’t the right club for him though. Hopefully we can put a side together than benefits from his skills at the back end of his career. For now I’ll just enjoy watching his flashes of class because it’s about all we have

Like the bulk of the team he seems down on confidence currently. He is in my mind the sort of player who should be given licence (within reason of course) to shoot for goal once he has the ball inside the f50 arc. I realise the team ethos and the need for structure in the modern game is of highest importance at the Hawks, but i can't help but feel its draining the flare out of players like Chad.

Like the bulk of the team he seems down on confidence currently. He is in my mind the sort of player who should be given licence (within reason of course) to shoot for goal once he has the ball inside the f50 arc. I realise the team ethos and the need for structure in the modern game is of highest importance at the Hawks, but i can't help but feel its draining the flare out of players like Chad.
Spot on. He did kick 1.3 yesterday. Tried to centre it to Lewis at one point, who of course was outmarked and out of position.

I feel like Wingard needs a big hostile crowd to perform at his best. Not giving him an out- Chad's been truly awful of late but he's always been a showman and a quiet, sterile environment doesn't really fit his m.o.
Everything about Perth will suit; the crowd, the fast track and the opposition. Having Breust back in that forward 50 is crucial too.

Just doesn't appear to be a team player, or want to be a team player.

I do think Clarko needs to roll him through the middle more, we just get 0 out of him if theres no ball going down there.
I wish he wasn’t a team player. Twice yesterday he gave the ball off when he just needed to put it through the middle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like what do people actually want from Chad at the moment?

He is still getting in to dangerous positions but our forwards structure is poor, our mids are getting killed and our backline is no where near what it was last season.

Slow ball movement, lack of threats inside 50 and poor delivery what do they think he is going to be able to produce? Rioli is one of the best small forwards of this era and he would be doing no better in this team.

The idea that he is the icing and not the cake is silly... That is all small forwards. Look at how good Papley is and yet the Swans are still terrible.

Completely agree he needs to Be more, not less, selfish. Gary Lyon sprayed him for not passing the ball to Scully at one point. Best case scenario in doing so would be Scully to take the mark (unlikely) and kick the goal from 45 metres out (no chance). Much prefer Wingard having a shot. Same goes for Breust and Gunston. We can barely score. If one of our guys who know how to get within range, they need to be given the licence and confidence to have a shot unless there is a very obvious better option (not something speculative like kicking to Lewis to not compete in the air)

He and Sicily are the only two guys we have who can ignite us with something special. He needs to be able to do it

He's embraced what the Hawks want from him which is a credit to the guy (and the club). As mentioned he has become less selfish and more team orientated. We'll get the absolute best from this guy. He'll learn from yesterday it's quite ok to have a lick of that ice cream.

Him and Gunston are the only two players who look likely to kick a goal at the moment. I thought yesterday he was pretty dangerous in the first half,
and was getting to the right spots.

A bit of a chop out Breust comes back and hopefully some elevated forward pressure will help him get some more goals on the board. But I’d also like so more midfield time too!

Him and Gunston are the only two players who look likely to kick a goal at the moment. I thought yesterday he was pretty dangerous in the first half,
and was getting to the right spots.

A bit of a chop out Breust comes back and hopefully some elevated forward pressure will help him get some more goals on the board. But I’d also like so more midfield time too!
I reckon Punky being out has forced Clarko's hand to throw him down forward. He'll be spending more time in the mid once Punky returns I'd assume. He was killing it there.

I reckon Punky being out has forced Clarko's hand to throw him down forward. He'll be spending more time in the mid once Punky returns I'd assume. He was killing it there.
Yeah surprised so many people are missing this, before Breust went down people said small forward was our biggest weakness and we had no one. We lose our best small and people are shocked when Clarko throws Wingard inside 50 more. Was always going to happen and needed to as well, just sucks because it is not how he is best suited.

Yeah surprised so many people are missing this, before Breust went down people said small forward was our biggest weakness and we had no one. We lose our best small and people are shocked when Clarko throws Wingard inside 50 more. Was always going to happen and needed to as well, just sucks because it is not how he is best suited.
The loss of Punky was always goint to hurt but it's cut deeper and hurt us a fair bit more than anticipated I reckon. His footy smarts and forward pressure has been a massive loss for us plus upset our structures. Can't wait to get him back

None of this is his fault.

But, Chad is pure cream. He is one of the very few players I enjoy watching on our list, but through not fault of his own, hindsight prefers we don't make this trade.

You don't build what needs to become a rebuilding list around a mercurial high half forward/mid. You just don't.

We need to build from the spine. Currently this reads:

Frawley
Frost
Mitchell
O'Brien
Patton/Lewis

Blrg.

None of this is his fault.

But, Chad is pure cream. He is one of the very few players I enjoy watching on our list, but through not fault of his own, hindsight prefers we don't make this trade.

You don't build what needs to become a rebuilding list around a mercurial high half forward/mid. You just don't.

We need to build from the spine. Currently this reads:

Frawley
Frost
Mitchell
O'Brien
Patton/Lewis

Blrg.

Frawley is going okay, Mitchell is going okay, Frost is going great, the forwards have all been letdowns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back