Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Signed to the end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I wrote in the game day thread I think that Wingard should be put on ice & do a mini pre-season til after the bye to better educate on the Hawks structures as well as building his tank that he didn’t get to complete at the start of the year due to that Hammie.
I’m still committed to that comment as he will be, should be, very important in the second half of the year as we roll to finals.

That being said, geez it would be great if was at his best for the Port game.
All of those games were he tore us a new one to basically win the game from his own brilliance would be awesome to see him do that to Port!
The melts would be huge & seriously funny & the lack of Chad love would turn on a dime for the doubters.

Chad will be good to great for Hawthorn & if we are in a position for a flag you could bet that the competitive beast in Chad will come out to play a big part.

We certainly paid top dollar & I for one am fine with that.
The off season moves to cover Burton’s role in Scrimshaw was an upgrade from what I have seen so far & that cost nothing.

Scully cost nothing.

Looking back at the draft where Duursma, Liam Stocker & Ely Smith were available & IMO all good selections. I would have tossed a coin on Stocker & Smith with a tendency for Stocker if I were being honest.

In a couple of years time we will probably trade in someone from the first rd from that draft anyway.

Will there be a what if? Absolutely but we got Chad in his prime, picked up a top 3 KPP who fell, a forward/mid who fell later than expected due to injuries & could have been a second rd selection.
That is not a bad outcome at all.

The cake is almost made & Chad is icing.
Let’s judge Chad when the team is settled, we have a complete midfield (Mitchell & player X), he has settled & the big games are on.

I have no doubt that when the big games come around on the big stage Chad will be who he was recruited for & that’s to win games & Premierships

I wrote in the game day thread I think that Wingard should be put on ice & do a mini pre-season til after the bye to better educate on the Hawks structures as well as building his tank that he didn’t get to complete at the start of the year due to that Hammie.
I’m still committed to that comment as he will be, should be, very important in the second half of the year as we roll to finals.
There's perhaps an argument to be made there regarding his fitness. But if he's going to continue to be played up forward as he has been then the best place for him is in the team. He'll learn way more and a lot faster by actually playing in the system itself.

He'll play against Port next week and if he has any amount of pride he'll perform very well.

I don't see it in that way at all mate.

I think it's been widely accepted Port Adelaide had issues with Wingard, his work rate and attitude.

I've posted consistently why I haven't felt he has dispelled these concerns early into his time in brown and gold. I won't go into it again as it's been done.

But ultimately, past history is a really good indicator of future behaviour. I'm happy to say I have real concerns over his attitude. I'm curious to find out if this poster has legitimate information or not, hence why I asked. Hence why I said 'if true'.

I hope you got some nice cheap likes you were chasing brother.

Was his work rate really in question? Look at his stats and he was over 400 possies in his last two years and over 20 goals.

1558144950506.png

Lol those saying that burton and scrimshaw play the same role have no idea. It’s not the point, if Burton had of stayed let them both fight it out for the one position and the looser simply finds another position- they are both first round draft picks so it’s fair to say either could re-adapt to another position quite comfortably.

Fair to say this site is fairly evenly split on who is for and who is against this side.

Find it amusing that the “for” trade posters keep telling the “against” posters that we are being too reactionary too soon, have no idea etc. it’s our opinion, it’s neither right or wrong, but we DO have the right to express our opinion

Show glimpses of his talent but not enough suggest lack of fitness the reason. Agree time to get him right hopefully we can the next few and bring him back after in better shape.

Really?? Why else would Port Adelaide be so eager to offload such a prodigiously talented player ? - it’s clearly not because he can’t play!
We’ll just forget the amount of SA kids at the top of the draft that Port were desperate to have a shot at drafting.

It was definitely all about what they were giving up, nothing at all to do with what they stood to receive.

:rolleyes:

That being said, geez it would be great if was at his best for the Port game.
All of those games were he tore us a new one to basically win the game from his own brilliance would be awesome to see him do that to Port!
The melts would be huge & seriously funny & the lack of Chad love would turn on a dime for the doubters.

Chad will be good to great for Hawthorn & if we are in a position for a flag you could bet that the competitive beast in Chad will come out to play a big part.

We certainly paid top dollar & I for one am fine with that.
The off season moves to cover Burton’s role in Scrimshaw was an upgrade from what I have seen so far & that cost nothing.

Scully cost nothing.

Looking back at the draft where Duursma, Liam Stocker & Ely Smith were available & IMO all good selections. I would have tossed a coin on Stocker & Smith with a tendency for Stocker if I were being honest.

In a couple of years time we will probably trade in someone from the first rd from that draft anyway.

Will there be a what if? Absolutely but we got Chad in his prime, picked up a top 3 KPP who fell, a forward/mid who fell later than expected due to injuries & could have been a second rd selection.
That is not a bad outcome at all.

The cake is almost made & Chad is icing.
Let’s judge Chad when the team is settled, we have a complete midfield (Mitchell & player X), he has settled & the big games are on.

I have no doubt that when the big games come around on the big stage Chad will be who he was recruited for & that’s to win games & Premierships

We got a top 3 kpp? Who?

Our forward line looks a mess; even at times Breust, Puopolo and Gunston struggling to look fluent and get a kick in the same games Wingard struggled, and they have been here for years. Wingard has the challenge of adapting to a new game plan, and also helping settle into a forward line that looks far from settled.

Henderson looks an A grader; All Australian type form at the moment, but in his first month he ran around getting positions that weren't damaging, and getting dropped back to Box Hill for a while. He came back in later in the year, much more of an understanding of his role and our game plan, and kept his position and hasn't looked back since.

Some players take time, and I think players adjusting to Hawthorn seem to take a while to adjust to our defensive patterns in particular and how to balance attack and defence.

Wingard can obviously play, but need to give our side time to settle with the new 6,6,6 rules and decide upon a forward structure, and also time for both parties in Wingard and Hawthorn to get used to each other. We saw the talent against North to turn the game with a few possessions; that's exactly what we need to complement the more hardworking players on our list, but just need time for it to settle.

Just a bit of history/thoughts (I'm sure you're sick of port supporters coming in here but i come in relative peace)

In the last few years he was at Port he made it known very clearly he didn't want to play as a permanent forward and wanted to be predominantly in the midfield despite his AA years being a small forward.

Last year we had him as a forward for the 1st half of the year, he played fairly poorly. Finally moved him into the middle and he was getting 20+ disposals and 1 or 2 goals a game.

Be interesting to see if you guys keep trying to get him back to that AA small forward form or give up and move him in the midfield like we did.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol

Time to bump the Burgers trade thread from 2010 I say

And the Josh Gibson one

And the Lake one

No offence - but why are some posters like you so darn impatient and short term in your view? Wingard might not work out - who knows - but are you seriously saying that this amount of games in season one is the testing ground for predicting future output?

The media has progressively become short term on everything - not just football. I say don’t be a victim of this thinking HR

All hard players who attacked the ball, could tackle & spoil.
Wingard is a crumbing fwd with minimal defensive pressure....been that way since he started.

Ok so we are almost 3 months into the season, nearly halfway point and the Chads first season is headed towards big failure proportions. He has time to turn it around, but it needs to start happening really soon... Compounding this is the fact Burton has gone to another level! Lets hope the Chad turns it on this week.

Ok so we are almost 3 months into the season, nearly halfway point and the Chads first season is headed towards big failure proportions. He has time to turn it around, but it needs to start happening really soon... Compounding this is the fact Burton has gone to another level! Lets hope the Chad turns it on this week.

He really hasn't.

He really hasn't.

Averaging 22 touches (can't count last game when he done his hammy first qtr) a game, up from 17 and 4 rebound from 50, up from 2 in 2018.. I'd say that shows he has, he is getting more of the footy and running harder out of the D50. Has clearly gone up a cog

Averaging 22 touches (can't count last game when he done his hammy first qtr) a game, up from 17 and 4 rebound from 50, up from 2 in 2018.. I'd say that shows he has, he is getting more of the footy and running harder out of the D50. Has clearly gone up a cog
Averaged 21.3 disposals in 2017, so clearly he hasn't gone up a cog.

So basically still zero improvement on his 2017 season and a slight blip up from 2018. Not enough to make me regret dispensing with him - particularly if all the stories about his attitude are true.

So basically still zero improvement on his 2017 season and a slight blip up from 2018. Not enough to make me regret dispensing with him - particularly if all the stories about his attitude are true.

The same stories we hear about Chad? It's all huff and puff... I am not throwing baby out with the bath water, I am merely stating we need to see some more output from Chad in 19, it's not panic stations by all means, we would just like more.

The same stories we hear about Chad? It's all huff and puff... I am not throwing baby out with the bath water, I am merely stating we need to see some more output from Chad in 19, it's not panic stations by all means, we would just like more.

sounds like you're another supporter that though Jaeger was a waste ?

give chad a chance our forward line is an absolute disaster so far this year if bruest didn't pick up a few easy goals every game to make him look OK we would be in even bigger trouble,

give chad a chance lets not forget he has also moved states and needs time to settle also injuries haven't helped him

sounds like you're another supporter that though Jaeger was a waste ?

give chad a chance our forward line is an absolute disaster so far this year if bruest didn't pick up a few easy goals every game to make him look OK we would be in even bigger trouble,

give chad a chance lets not forget he has also moved states and needs time to settle also injuries haven't helped him

I have been a massive advocate for Chad since day one, if you read my post correctly then I am saying it's to early to judge, however 2019 will be a waste if we don't get him on the park and contributing, am I wrong?

I was skeptical but supportive of O'mera, it has taken a long time but his performances have really been of a high level for the most part... I think Jags will be much better with Titch back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back