Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Connor MacDonald! Extended to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember wanting Sonsie with that pick. Didn't know much about McDonald when his name was read out. Boy am I happy we picked him.....absolutely steal!

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
If we'd used our first on him I'd still be pleased with his output. Thankfully we got Ward as well.

Looks a confident kid but also works hard to be involved. Has ability to weave through traffic and shows good hands and nous to pass to advantage. Doesn’t look rushed and oozes class.

I reckon MacDonald and Ward will both go up a notch this game. No pressure from this - but the second practice match was far better from both and I suspect it will be the same for their second AFL match. That said, much stronger midfield here

Post aged particularly well

Imagine if Butler, Long and Serong end up good too.

Oh baby
On what Serong and Long showed today, it might take a little more time, but they both looked alright. Serong especially.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched him in the VIC M and VIC C game last year and he looked like a really nice inside mid option. Aggressive and super clean etc. He was not too far behind Hobbs for me in that game as a prospect. At the time, it got me thinking he could be a value second-round option because spending pick 7 on Hobbs seemed a bit overkill for a ball-winning bull.

The thing I am absolutely shocked by is his ability to play as a legit HFF. His speed is better than I thought and his class is far better than what I saw in that game. Granted I don't watch too much U18, I am pumped that he has this string to his bow. But, I want to say that when he eventually does go inside (which he absolutely will) people will see those other traits far more i.e., tackle pressure, physicality, cleanliness below his knees in traffic. From what he has shown this year and what I saw last year, he could really be a genuine steal. Like one where we look back and go, how the hell did he get to the second round?!

Looks a confident kid but also works hard to be involved. Has ability to weave through traffic and shows good hands and nous to pass to advantage. Doesn’t look rushed and oozes class.

Well said.

To be able to keep that poise/composure with ball in hand at the contest and then be able to hit a teammate with a hand pass or kick, particularly at AFL level, is basically un-coachable and more or less pure talent.

This kid's gonna be a star.

Connor has brought the polish and belief, he's looking like the ready made midfielder we needed.

That was a ridiculous game from a rookie, both he and Ward look very likely to make it at this early stage.

If they can keep it up, watch the rebuild accelerate.
What rebuild? It's built.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back