Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Connor MacDonald! Extended to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

I was chatting to a kid to who played with him at Dandenong last year. He said the Stingrays felt he’d been harshly judged on a single poor performance early in the year…apparently he was uncharacteristically very poor by foot that day.
They felt he comfortably could have been in the conversation for a top 10 pick.

I love little insights like this. Every club goes above and beyond analysing every kid but is it possible they go to far when analysing performances?. His best game was a 37 disposal and 2 goal game in the torrential rain for me seeing an 18 year old kid be a standout in conditions like that is already a big tick.

I love little insights like this. Every club goes above and beyond analysing every kid but is it possible they go to far when analysing performances?. His best game was a 37 disposal and 2 goal game in the torrential rain for me seeing an 18 year old kid be a standout in conditions like that is already a big tick.
They definitely can. I recently did an AFL recruiting course which was run by Brad Lloyd. He mentioned the impact a number of biases can have on judgment of players - one poor game can cloud recruiters minds etc

They definitely can. I recently did an AFL recruiting course which was run by Brad Lloyd. He mentioned the impact a number of biases can have on judgment of players - one poor game can cloud recruiters minds etc
Particularly costly given with the pandemic there's been so few opportunities for the kids to prove themselves properly. If a super talented kid can slip in the draft off of one poor game then it would follow that there must have been a few less talented players who happened to be taken far earlier than they really should have been on the back of a standout game.

And perhaps more Newcombe-like kids who didn't get drafted at all who will be swooped on in the MSD once they've shown what they've got in state league comps.

The human mind is pretty much deeply programmed to make snap judgements on first impressions.

At its most basic, it's an evolutionary survival mechanism.

You would hope recruiters would be taught about these 'system one' thinking errors.

I reckon MacDonald and Ward will both go up a notch this game. No pressure from this - but the second practice match was far better from both and I suspect it will be the same for their second AFL match. That said, much stronger midfield here

MacDonald in particular doesn't lack confidence, when Hawks TV asked for what fans could expect from him he rolled out some Swag worthy of any of the greats in their first year!

No doubt his having had a performance back that up will re-wire that confidence even more deeply, and he'll start to realise he can belong (both of them actually)!

That was such a ridiculously perfect set shot. It could not have been better.
He just seems so composed with the ball at all times, even in congestion. Has the skills to match as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's so damn smooth.

He could legitimately play all season out of position on the HFF and contribute well.
Bang on. Wait till he builds up his body and can compete as a full-time centre bounce mid! 🤤

Connor has brought the polish and belief, he's looking like the ready made midfielder we needed.

That was a ridiculous game from a rookie, both he and Ward look very likely to make it at this early stage.

If they can keep it up, watch the rebuild accelerate.
He's brought the Polish? Weird group to get behind him with the surname MacDonald!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back