Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Conor Nash. Extends to 2024!

Remove this Banner Ad

Holy s**t that was wicked, bad intentions. Saints player will be feeling that into next week. Nash is here to stay, get around him you dirtbags!

That could be described as a backle or a tump, whatever it was it was beautiful.

I wonder if he received any "lessons" from Uncle Luke before he left for the warmer clime's?

What makes him such a good unknown quantity is that he is 100% ready for the rigours of AFL footy. He's strong enough, quick enough and he can run the game out enough. Genuinely excited about Conor Nash's prospects.

Could be the best Gaelic convert since Stynes, with the same combination of Rugby and Gaelic that Stynes had himself.

Agreed......Nash will be the best Irishman to play in the AFL since Stynes.

We got a beauty here

Let's not get too carried away. Stynes was a freak. Nash has a long way to go to be in thay conversation. He is a very promising!

I said since Stynes.....not necessarily better than.

Tell me who the best 3 or 4 Irishmen to play in the AFL are, and then tell me that Nash can’t be better than all of them. .....notwithstanding Stynes.
Nash is just as much a freak as Stynes.

Tell me who the best 3 or 4 Irishmen to play in the AFL are, and then tell me that Nash can’t be better than all of them. .....notwithstanding Stynes.
Pretty certain Nash won't cost his team a spot in a grand final by running over the mark.

Tadgh Kenneally was a damn good player, and there are a number of others who have performed well. Nash could be anything - lots of potential - but lets see a few more games before we blow off the lid. Glass also looked magnificent last year and has not come on as hoped (to date).

Tadgh Kenneally was a damn good player, and there are a number of others who have performed well. Nash could be anything - lots of potential - but lets see a few more games before we blow off the lid. Glass also looked magnificent last year and has not come on as hoped (to date).
The lids off, too late. Nash GOAT.

Congrats to Conor on getting a contract extension - any word on what the duration is? Given that he would have potential pro rugby and high level Gaelic Football to return to in Ireland, it's certainly a win for the Hawks to lock him in beyond the initial couple of years.

I watched both of the games he played and it's hard not to be impressed with his output. The forward pressure he brings is outstanding for a big guy and could be a huge bonus in finals if he keeps his spot. Athletically he's probably ahead of 99% of players, so it's really a case of whether/how quick he can develop his kicking skills and the more nuanced elements of the game.

Just on this - I've been a close observer of all of the Irish players for probably 15 or so years now. Stynes is obviously before my time but his achievements stand above all the others. Kennelly is second based on longevity, ability and winning a flag, although I'd argue that Pearce Hanley played the best football of any Irish player I have seen around 2013/14 (17 Brownlow votes in those two seasons). An incredibly skilled and natural footballer for an Irish import. Hopefully he can get some continuity next year.

Tuohy has been a very solid player for a long time now and his durability probably puts him above Hanley, but those four are clearly well ahead of the rest.

Conor McKenna played his 50th last week for Essendon and has been excellent this year. Still has huge upside as well as a 22 year old. In terms of potential, he's up there with Nash - potential All Australian level if their bodies holds up and the graph keeps going in its current direction.

Glass and Ciaran Byrne I'd expect to be solid contributors for a long time also, with significant upside for improvement but probably not to the same level as McKenna and Nash. I actually thought Glass started very well last week, but lost confidence after that one shocking kick that gave away a goal. A shame for his finals chances, but no big deal in the long run I wouldn't have thought.

Congrats to Conor on getting a contract extension - any word on what the duration is? Given that he would have potential pro rugby and high level Gaelic Football to return to in Ireland, it's certainly a win for the Hawks to lock him in beyond the initial couple of years.

I watched both of the games he played and it's hard not to be impressed with his output. The forward pressure he brings is outstanding for a big guy and could be a huge bonus in finals if he keeps his spot. Athletically he's probably ahead of 99% of players, so it's really a case of whether/how quick he can develop his kicking skills and the more nuanced elements of the game.

Just on this - I've been a close observer of all of the Irish players for probably 15 or so years now. Stynes is obviously before my time but his achievements stand above all the others. Kennelly is second based on longevity, ability and winning a flag, although I'd argue that Pearce Hanley played the best football of any Irish player I have seen around 2013/14 (17 Brownlow votes in those two seasons). An incredibly skilled and natural footballer for an Irish import. Hopefully he can get some continuity next year.

Tuohy has been a very solid player for a long time now and his durability probably puts him above Hanley, but those four are clearly well ahead of the rest.

Conor McKenna played his 50th last week for Essendon and has been excellent this year. Still has huge upside as well as a 22 year old. In terms of potential, he's up there with Nash - potential All Australian level if their bodies holds up and the graph keeps going in its current direction.

Glass and Ciaran Byrne I'd expect to be solid contributors for a long time also, with significant upside for improvement but probably not to the same level as McKenna and Nash. I actually thought Glass started very well last week, but lost confidence after that one shocking kick that gave away a goal. A shame for his finals chances, but no big deal in the long run I wouldn't have thought.
I’m reading your post imagining an Irish accent and it kind of works somehow. Irish?

And then there’s Dave Clifford...

Over the cold, dead bodies of every man, woman and child in Kerry. I think they've confiscated his passport :D

I’m reading your post imagining an Irish accent and it kind of works somehow. Irish?

Yep. Currently in Dublin but did an extended stint in Melbourne a few years back

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ceglar fit and able to play, but Nash stays in and Cegs goes to BHH.
Big statement

Clarkson loves the idea of pressure forwards, we always played with 3 pretty much (Bruest, Cyril and Puoplo). Sometimes, Langford and others got games in the role when seemingly better players languished at BH.

That Nash is also tall, and potentially damaging as a marking player, and has the endurance and athletic ability he has, is too much for Clarko to resist. He sees a two for one deal with Nash.

When he's forward, Ceglar is a marking player, that defenders can run off if they bring the ball to ground in a contest.

Nash will win one on ones you suspect, not many have the tools to go with him, even at this early stage. But guys definitely won't run off him easily, and he can create goals with pressure.

I think that as much as anything, is why he's seen as a better bet than a resting Cegs.

Last edited:
Ceglar fit and able to play, but Nash stays in and Cegs goes to BHH.

Big statement
It is, that’s true. There’s a few factors at play I think. One might be the weather, Cegs is not great on the deck, one is probably the swans only having one ruck so we don’t need a backup, another is with rough back he and Cegs when together don’t put enough defensive pressure on, Nash does. We can’t have Rampe and McVeigh running it out easily.

Clarkson loves the idea of pressure forwards, we always played with 3 pretty much (Bruest, Cyril and Puoplo). Sometimes, Langford and others got games in the role when others you thought might be picked for different jobs, languished at BH.

That Nash is also tall, and potentially damaging as a marking player, and has the endurance and athletic ability he has, is too much for Clarko to resist. He sees a two for one deal with Nash.

When he's forward, Ceglar is a marking player, that defenders can run off if they bring the ball to ground in a contest.

Nash will win one on ones you suspect, not many have the tools to go with him, even at this early stage. But guys definitely won't run off him easily, and he can create goals with pressure.

I think that as much as anything, is why he's seen as a better bet than a resting Cegs.
If it were to be dry, I'd expect Cegs to force Schoey out.

May well still do, but ruckwork dominance on a wet day is probs less important as the clearance mids won't be as clean or effective. A resting ruckman at FF won't be as effective in the wet, compared with a dry day.

Given this, a more mobile - even if largely ineffective - forward, that can lead up the ground, pinch-hit in the ruck & maybe chop-out in defense, is probs the safer selection.

That's my read on it. Schoenmeister is also interchangeable with Mirra, whereas Cegs isn't.

Definitely hadn't factored Mirra into things, and absolutely can't argue there. Shoe likely the better field kick, but if Mirra brought that BH form, he might be the better option anyway.

Would be a weird looking forward line with both Shoe and Mirra in it either way, now that Rough is back.

Hope it's not wet. Lends itself to the duds dour, drab, style.

That and Buddy plays well in the wet.

Unless Chip got up of course.

If it were to be dry, I'd expect Cegs to force Schoey out.

May well still do, but ruckwork dominance on a wet day is probs less important as the clearance mids won't be as clean or effective. A resting ruckman at FF won't be as effective in the wet, compared with a dry day.

Given this, a more mobile - even if largely ineffective - forward, that can lead up the ground, pinch-hit in the ruck & maybe chop-out in defense, is probs the safer selection.

That's my read on it. Schoenmeister is also interchangeable with Mirra, whereas Cegs isn't.

Hanley before the shift to Cold Toast and the poor injury management

Remove this Banner Ad

Back