Toast Welcome to Hawthorn, Finn Maginness “absolute Hawthorn nuffie” and a Hawk to 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Well he certainly came back from his break looking terribly out of shape.

View attachment 1254861

Ralphy is a Grade B flog - I rate him just below D Barrett and K Cornes (co-captiains of the A Grade team).
He makes - sh*t - up.
I look at the re-signing article and the comment about Finn "continuing to learn what it takes to be an AFL footballer" linking closely to what Ralphy said

......and that photo is from October 2020......not pre-season

View attachment 1254861

Ralphy is a Grade B flog - I rate him just below D Barrett and K Cornes (co-captiains of the A Grade team).
He makes - sh*t - up.
Ralph has had direct conversations with our footy department.

Ralph has had direct conversations with our footy department.

Good timing - Ralphy just demonstrating his reliability via latest tweet (recently blowing up the hypothetical thread).
I can believe he's had conversations with someone in our footy department - but he's such a Muppet he wouldn't know Maginness from Morrison.

Good timing - Ralphy just demonstrating his reliability via latest tweet (recently blowing up the hypothetical thread).
I can believe he's had conversations with someone in our footy department - but he's such a Muppet he wouldn't know Maginness from Morrison.
Was this the "OBrien was delisted" one?

View attachment 1254861

He makes - sh*t - up.
So that's what I could look like if I ate better, exercised more and grew half a foot!
(and was allowed to go to the beach...:rolleyes:)

Was this the "OBrien was delisted" one?

Yep.

I am very happy to defer to someone with expertise or inside info - but the blokes in the footy media are typically

A) too lazy to really know their stuff (or even to do a 30 second check before tweeting)
B) too unreliable to trust

With respect to Finn ...

On the website, McCartney said ...

“Finn has really applied himself to learning and understanding what it takes to be a professional footballer in the first two years of his career. His endurance capacity and work ethic are well-renowned, and we’re really hopeful that he can continue to develop his game over the course of the next two years."

Sounds alright to me :thumbsu:

2 years is very fair. Gives him a reasonable amount of time to show he's got what it takes with consideration for what he's shown so far and the difficult circumstances COVID-19 has had on his ability to develop since being drafted.

Even more reason why we need to move one of O'Meara or Mitchell on.

Worpel, Newcombe, Nash and Finn.

All need continued, or an extended, opportunity.

Our rebuild will look so much better if Finn comes on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I disagree with that being the reason tbh, I see no A grade players at AFL level in those 4 names you list below.

Personally I disagree with that being the reason tbh, I see no A grade players at AFL level in those 4 names you list below.

Ha, well either is O'Meara really (outside of 3 or 4 games a year), and he's 27 and on 700k plus.

I'm 50/50 Worpel. But I'm pretty big on Newcombe having the 'potential' to be A grade.

Either way, we need to find out and to do that, you start by giving opportunity and increasing responsibility.

Agreed, although Jai in particular is a bit of an unknown. For mine we need to trade out the senior players not to give the young guys a go, but to get the picks to try to find an A grade mid or two. Hopefully our first pick in the draft nabs us one and we get lucky with our second and get another.

Where would you send the following:?

Gunston. Half forward
O'Meara. Midfield
Titchell. Midfield
Wingard. Half forward flank, midfield rotation
Ceglar. Full forward / ruck relief

Why our 2 best and not Sheils who is also the oldest?

Why our 2 best and not Sheils who is also the oldest?

I have Shiels as depth moving forward.

He's probably even a bit more versatile than O'Meara given he can sacrifice his game, and be a run with player.

He's also not on over 700K and has no chance to get us a decent draft pick.

Unless he gets an offer of best 22 at another club, he deserves to be a one club (three-time) player. He might even play a Vanders/Dixon role as we transition into an actual rebuild.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back