Toast Welcome to Hawthorn, Finn Maginness “absolute Hawthorn nuffie” and a Hawk to 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Would help if we played him in his best spot i.e. midfield for a while instead of moving him around all the time.

I have mentioned this in the past and the coaches see him as a limited footballer and the writing is on the wall. If he was Irish he would easily get a 3 year extension.
You know this from speaking directly to the coaching staff or just inferring from the public reports? Big difference.

Given we obviously rated him enough to use valuable picks would be surprised if have written off already. We’ve held onto limited players for a lot longer (eg Nash, glass, Ollie, howe etc).

And even if he is a more limited footballer than we hoped doesn’t mean he can’t be a handy role player (eg tagger / defensive mid).

He has not been the first or the last that’s been drafted with limitations. If you hardly get a snif in an AFL match with the last 2 seasons we have had , it doesn’t look great.
Not necessarily
Sometimes it can be harder to get a sniff in a s**t side.

You know this from speaking directly to the coaching staff or just inferring from the public reports? Big difference.

Given we obviously rated him enough to use valuable picks would be surprised if have written off already. We’ve held onto limited players for a lot longer (eg Nash, glass, Ollie, howe etc).

And even if he is a more limited footballer than we hoped doesn’t mean he can’t be a handy role player (eg tagger / defensive mid).
More so by watching how he is being developed.

He has not been the first or the last that’s been drafted with limitations. If you hardly get a snif in an AFL match with the last 2 seasons we have had , it doesn’t look great.
Dunno what is going wrong with Finn. He's a great size. Hands look pretty clean in close. His kicking has more penetration than most of our mids. Hard to judge him by stats as he is copping defensive assignments. Unless there is a bigger picture in play, he may well be demoted to rookie at season's end.

Dunno what is going wrong with Finn. He's a great size. Hands look pretty clean in close. His kicking has more penetration than most of our mids. Hard to judge him by stats as he is copping defensive assignments. Unless there is a bigger picture in play, he may well be demoted to rookie at season's end.
Similar pathway to Moore, could be worse.

Finn Maginness (14 disposals, 1 mark, 1 tackle)
"Finn played in defence and he is continuing to learn the role but he is growing rapidly. He is finding more of the ball and using his run more as a defender than he did as a mid. His red zone running has almost doubled since his shift into defence. He still has some learning in his defensive craft but he is showing some really good signs."

Reading into every weekly review for Finn it seems they are trying to build him defensively and then work on offence (if he needs any, seemed to be pretty attacking as a junior)

The comments on him using his running is interesting. He has a massive tank and some speed but doesn’t really use it in games. Seems they are trying to draw it out of him in addition to improving his defensive side. If he is going to play as a defensive mid he’s going to need to be able to be pulled into forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Encouraging and quite interesting comments from Sam.
Just what role we have in mind for him I wait to see.

a lot of people have made comments about players like 'well they languished away at HF/back pocket, did nothing, then suddenly they were plonked in the middle and looked good??'

it happens so frequently it cant be a coincidence. i think players that struggle at certain elements of being a mid at AFL level are very regularly being shoe-horned into 'weird' and unproductive roles to learn specific things so that when they start playing midfield minutes, they surprise everyone with how good they look because their experience has finally all added up.

hoping this is Sam's plan with Finn

Unfortunately havent seen one inkling or even one moment of brilliance from Finn to indicate that he'll make it.

A lot of O Rourke about him to me.

Hope im wrong.
Don't think JOR was quick at all. Was fit, but not quick.

Finn top 10 over 20m in draft year and was top 5 in our time trials.

One more year and then re assess.

Jesus, trying to create him into a small/medium defender with how strong we are here, including Morris now... that's seriously writing on the wall territory.

With that said, it's clear Sam isn't giving up and is probably trying to teach him footy IQ. He needs a really big 2022 Finn. I suspect he will get a rookie contract.

Unfortunately havent seen one inkling or even one moment of brilliance from Finn to indicate that he'll make it.

A lot of O Rourke about him to me.

Hope im wrong.
That’s a pretty lazy comparison because they’re nothing alike.

Jesus, trying to create him into a small/medium defender with how strong we are here, including Morris now... that's seriously writing on the wall territory.

With that said, it's clear Sam isn't giving up and is probably trying to teach him footy IQ. He needs a really big 2022 Finn. I suspect he will get a rookie contract.
I don't think Sam is trying to turn him into a small or medium defender.

I don't think Sam is trying to turn him into a small or medium defender.

Probably right, but gee, it really feels like Sam is trying every avenue to kickstart this kids career...

I'm not saying young kids need to come in and perform straight away, slow burns are fine, but it's starting to get a bit concerning that week in week out there is seemingly little to get excited by with Finn... well unless his school mate is back posting?

Probably right, but gee, it really feels like Sam is trying every avenue to find a role for this kid...
Not really, it's just defensive running and ability to find the ball more uncontested, his in and under and contested clearance work etc is all at a high standard and is an attacking weapon, it was more his ability to find space for uncontested footy and run defensively that he lacked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back