Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Jai Serong! Pick 52, 2021 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone know what his current height is? Drafted at 193cm...
If he has grown a significant amount since being drafted he may not play seniors regularly till at least 2025 (consistently being the key term). Those players are notorious for being injury prone. I's sure a physio or doctor on this forum could explain why.

I think it's partly the size factor. He's shown he has the ability to bulk up. I fully expect him to hit the scales over 90kg by the end of March next year.
Doesn’t really have anything as a standout trait for mine.

I’m with you. Just looks a spare parts player. Good depth.

I think it's partly the size factor. He's shown he has the ability to bulk up. I fully expect him to hit the scales over 90kg by the end of March next year.
He has come from the clouds down back just like Seamus. The wraps on him playing that position by the coaches is high. He has a really good tank already demonstrated that in preseason this year was in the top 5 or 6 in preseason. Reads the play well and is competitive. He doesn't shy away from contact. It's all about getting to a bigger size like Philhawk says.

Doesn’t really have anything as a standout trait for mine.

Sometimes consistency and reliability is far more important than standout traits only seen on occasion.

It remains to be seen if he can make a career out of it, but a player without glaring weaknesses will always give themselves every opportunity if called upon.

Sometimes consistency and reliability is far more important than standout traits only seen on occasion.

It remains to be seen if he can make a career out of it, but a player without glaring weaknesses will always give themselves every opportunity if called upon
Brody Mihocek is a case in point. People have often said that he has no standout traits - but his combination of consistency, mobility, strong hands, accurate goal-kicking and ability to read the play have made him a very valuable player. Nothing special about any one of those traits but put together they make a pretty special player.

Brody Mihocek is a case in point. People have often said that he has no standout traits - but his combination of consistency, mobility, strong hands, accurate goal-kicking and ability to read the play have made him a very valuable player. Nothing special about any one of those traits but put together they make a pretty special player.

Agreed. It's more what he could become than what he is. As a forward he wasn't showing it, to be blunt. When moved into defence his rise was instant and he has kept improving. By the end of the year he was our best tall defender at BH. I look forward to seeing where he is ranked at the end of 2024.

Bumping because the guy deserves it a much as the other popular welcome threads

Vfl geelong

Jai Serong (22 disposals, five marks)

“Jai Serong was arguably, along with Seamus, our best defender on the day. His offence has gone to a new level and he’s just really reliable now in his role. We had to slide him across to Shannon Neale who has played some AFL and Jai gave away a lot of height and size in that contest but he got the job done well and really helped take Neale out of the game which is full credit to him.”

Casey

Jai Serong (20 disposals, nine marks, five tackles)

“Jai’s been in some good touch of late. He played on some key players like (Tom) Fullarton, (Josh) Schache and (Will) Verrall when he went forward, so some good AFL-listed players. But the thing that I was really impressed with, and I know Jai has been working hard on this, is his disposal. He had 20 disposals at 100 per cent efficiency with 15 kicks, five handballs and five tackles, so for one of your key defenders or third tall defenders to play a vital role and contribute like that is a great reward.”

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tall ish. Can jump to take high balls

Trust the club but don’t be surprised if he gets called up at some point esp if he keeps it up and takes a few more wins in VFL

Does he play in the Ben Stratton model can play on talls and smalls or is more a plays tall for his size.

Does he play in the Ben Stratton model can play on talls and smalls or is more a plays tall for his size.
More a medium tall who can handle the talls at this stage. Quite smart / clean with ball in hand - but is a defender first (not an intercept type). Ie the type that should be able to free up Sicily or scrim from more defensive roles.

More a medium tall who can handle the talls at this stage. Quite smart / clean with ball in hand - but is a defender first (not an intercept type). Ie the type that should be able to free up Sicily or scrim from more defensive roles.
Josh Battle roll, perhaps?

Take over from Roughy @ CHB!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back