Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

He is making decisions quicker without rushing. Has acclimatised to the pace of afl football now and we are seeing the benefit to his performance.
Still have no idea what he was think when he had his kick smothered though. Really strange bit of play

Newcombe? He seems to come across as an action of a leader, leading by his actions rather than words/speaking although someone who knows more can confirm or disapprove.
I think Newcombe speaks pretty well actually from interviews I've seen. Calm, knows his own mind, charismatic even. To me he seems a clear leadership candidate although very young so hard to know whether it's something he'd welcome or not.

Has a lot of Robert Harvey-like disposals, for mine.

Runs 10-15m, kicks safely for 30m & is involved again down the track.
I like this comparison, Ward’s work ethic is a real strength, and will only get better with experience and conditioning.

Great to have Harvey on the coaching panel for a player like Ward with so much to gain.

The progress Of Ward is most impressive. Both JOM and TOM won’t be around the next time we challenge. If we get good offers I hope we jump at them.

Our defence is doing better because we have a midfield winning clearances and keeping pressure on ball users of the oppo.

Get another two quality Mids, to add to Newk, Ward, McDonald, Moore and Nash, one with size and height and we are away. One as a FA, the other from the Draft.
I fully appreciate the reasoning here but these guy are crucial to the development of our young midfield. Akin to delisting Vanders, Joel Smith, Ben Dixon or Crawf in 2006. Just feel it leaves our midfield extremely young and exposed whilst still in development.

I fully appreciate the reasoning here but these guy are crucial to the development of our young midfield. Akin to delisting Vanders, Joel Smith, Ben Dixon or Crawf in 2006. Just feel it leaves our midfield extremely young and exposed whilst still in development.
If we trade one out it will be a good result because we also need extra Draft picks. I am only hopeful. Same with Worps.
That is why in my ideal world we either replace TOM with an FA or some short term experience that costs us little. Stress short term.

I think Newcombe speaks pretty well actually from interviews I've seen. Calm, knows his own mind, charismatic even. To me he seems a clear leadership candidate although very young so hard to know whether it's something he'd welcome or not.
👍

If we trade one out it will be a good result because we also need extra Draft picks. I am only hopeful. Same with Worps.
That is why in my ideal world we either replace TOM with an FA or some short term experience that costs us little. Stress short term.

Mitchell is an insanely hard worker who has arguably gotten every last drop of talent in him squeezed out and translated to performance entirely through the force of his will.

There's value in him at the club well beyond his on field output. Pretty sure the other Mitchell at the club appreciates the importance of this more than most.

I doubt we'd get similar from a FA who rocks up late for dollars. Not saying it's impossible, but seems unlikely.

Worpel seems likely to go at year's end. Will probably mean Mitchell stays at a guess.

Where's Chris Doerre? I didn't know Jared Polec was this good of a player.
TBF, KM rated Ward. I think as the second-best mid. I believe the Polec comparison was for Callaghan from memory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On Ward's post, there seems to be a league wide thing where all players are putting these sponsored posts up on Instagram.

Doesn't make it genuine.
Yeh, saw a young Mitchell Lewis with Jack Riewoldt.

Though, I feel with Ward, it wouldn't take much for him to reminisce. Playing for the club you supported.

On Ward's post, there seems to be a league wide thing where all players are putting these sponsored posts up on Instagram.

Doesn't make it genuine.

Well he genuinely was a Hawks supporter growing up. I don't care how sponsored it is - I love seeing Hawks supporters get to play for the club. As much as I love watching childhood Essendon supporters winning 3 premierships with us ;)

Mitchell is an insanely hard worker who has arguably gotten every last drop of talent in him squeezed out and translated to performance entirely through the force of his will.

There's value in him at the club well beyond his on field output. Pretty sure the other Mitchell at the club appreciates the importance of this more than most.

I doubt we'd get similar from a FA who rocks up late for dollars. Not saying it's impossible, but seems unlikely.

Worpel seems likely to go at year's end. Will probably mean Mitchell stays at a guess.

Very premature to say 'Worpel seems likely to go'. Certainly not the vibe put forth in his ABC interview from the weekend. He already has a pre-season training plan worked out.

Very premature to say 'Worpel seems likely to go'. Certainly not the vibe put forth in his ABC interview from the weekend. He already has a pre-season training plan worked out.

I've got no doubt he's planning for what will happen if he stays, but we're just not finding the best in him during the last year or two, and he's jockeying for his position on the ground with others who are playing better.

I love the guy, I think everyone understands his best is very bloody good. It's just that he's not finding his best.

Spots on the list are going to get tighter and tighter, a senior player not performing and who might see better opportunity elsewhere is likely to go imo. Unless one of the players he's battling for his spot on the ground leaves, it looks tough for him.

Since returning from injury he's really announced himself:

34 touches (12 contested), 7 marks, 5 tackles, 6 clearances, 618m gained, 5 I50's, 8 score involvements, 15 pressure acts (equal 5th)

22 touches, 3 tackles, 3 clearances, 25 pressure acts (equal 3rd)

26 touches, 6 marks, 5 tackles, 3 clearances, 446m gained, 6 I50's, 6 score involvements, 17 pressure acts (equal 8th)

Agree but I suspect he'll do better than that.

For some perspective- Andrew Brayshaw wasn't getting Ward's numbers til his third year in the system
Andy was only playing 50% game time in his first 2 seasons and was running with an opposition gun midfielder.

Freo had Fyfe, Neale and Mundy getting the bulk of the midfield numbers at that stage.

After Neale left, Brayshaw’s role became more like Ward’s is now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back