Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

Literally no one bar Crows supporters would be taking Pedlar over Ward.

Pedlar has shown absolutely nothing as a midfielder to date - he did not play there last season and didn't even average 12 touches in his 21 games.

He had 12 touches in the practice match, whilst having 7 CBA's.
Okay, sure - respectfully, I'll leave it there. Certainly no Crows supporter would take Ward over Pedlar, so we agree on that.

I think a lot of supporters at other clubs are starting to assume Ward may not make it, but we don't see him as often as you.

Good luck for this year. I think you might be surprised by the Crows midfield.

Soligo is a wingman, Sloane may never play again and Keays is a forward.

The rest of the Crows midfield is Rankine, Rachele, Pedlar and Berry.

I think Crouch plays before Ward, and all of Laird, Dawson, Rankine, Rachele and Pedlar certainly do.
Take the propaganda back to your own kind, please..

Okay, sure - respectfully, I'll leave it there. Certainly no Crows supporter would take Ward over Pedlar, so we agree on that.

I think a lot of supporters at other clubs are starting to assume Ward may not make it, but we don't see him as often as you.

Correct or not, you were respectful in posting. Thanks for contributing :thumbsu:

Soligo is a wingman, Sloane may never play again and Keays is a forward.

The rest of the Crows midfield is Rankine, Rachele, Pedlar and Berry.

I think Crouch plays before Ward, and all of Laird, Dawson, Rankine, Rachele and Pedlar certainly do.
News flash wings are midfielders and Ward plays on the wing, if you're going to make an argument make sure you know what you're talking about.

Keays is a forward but Rachele and Rankine are mids??

Last edited:

Questioning whether he will make it? Have you,
or these nebulous "supporters of other clubs" ever actually watched him play?

One average preseason game, where the entire team was embarrassed, does not discount his two seasons to date - in both of which he has outperformed the vast majority of 20 year old midfielders.

Absolutely ridiculous to question if Ward "will make it" he already has. 2 years in and played nearly every game he's been available and averaging 20 disposals.. A few stints in the VFL where he was clearly above the level and straight into the side.

Tracking just about as well as he could be.

Yep. Definitely agree with the surprise factor. It's easy to be surprised by a midfield you think might be just below average and then you see them play.

I think it’s important to remember Ward has had a couple of head knocks which have meant we have had to manage him and I think it has visibly affected his confidence too. Plus he had a limited preseason last year. I think we will see his form rise very quickly once he has a settled period. Not that there has been anything wrong with his development curve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very happy he has been named on the ball. Hope we persist with him in there for the start of the season.

Much more suited to the inside and I think he could have some 30+ possession games in there.
He’s definitely going to end up spending a lot of time on the inside. Just depends if it’s this year or the coming years.

Once he can stand up to the physicality in there he will be set.

Thought he was excellent when thrown into the guts today. Stood tall through contact to unleash handpasses, took good risks with his kicks, defended well from centre bounces, and had some blitzing runs up the ground. What I saw today was a midfielder through and through, and his work as a defensive back pocket was better than a lot of our full time backs. He's a player who will develop and grow with every passing season, who hasn't been given the benefit of playing his first seasons in easy roles with no responsibility. Him and Mackenzie will be the backbone of our core for the next decade, mark my words.

Thought he was excellent when thrown into the guts today. Stood tall through contact to unleash handpasses, took good risks with his kicks, defended well from centre bounces, and had some blitzing runs up the ground. What I saw today was a midfielder through and through, and his work as a defensive back pocket was better than a lot of our full time backs. He's a player who will develop and grow with every passing season, who hasn't been given the benefit of playing his first seasons in easy roles with no responsibility. Him and Mackenzie will be the backbone of our core for the next decade, mark my words.
He's much more damaging than his reputation would suggest. I love when it's in his hands just outside 50

Totally agree. And from what I saw today the thing holding him back is just a bit more strength to drive through the congestion and brush tackles off the way Worpel, Newcombe and Nash can. Maybe another pre season away. I have no doubts he'll get there. Always puts in the work.

Some bloody stupid comments at half time in the game day thread.

"VFL standard"
"Wasted pick 7"

That second half really shut those campaigners up! Thought he was great. His kicks to Hardwick are what started our comeback.

I don't know why this guy is continually underrated and dismissed by our own fans.
Last year people made unfavourable comparisons to MacKenzie early on, and then Ward reminded us all about how good he was when he came back into the team.

Ward is a very good midfield talent.
Excellent character and versatile too.
Be patient with younger players.

Have not been surprised by the Crows Midfield

Your midfield sucks and is filled with short people

Remove this Banner Ad

Back