Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn - Mabior Chol

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting that there's been some posters here who have scoffed that friendship connections can play a part in bringing a player on board and here is Mabior saying that because he had some friends playing for us that made our offer enticing.
Again, footballers are just like any other people. Few adults would choose an employer solely because their friends work there. Career opportunities, pay, resources, culture, location etc more important. But having friends would never hurt and if you had two offers you were otherwise torn on, of course it would play a part.

There was a time when WI fast bowlers were cool and inspired fear in all. Goddamnit I miss a decent WI team. Sick of cheating Aussies 🔥

I was just looking online for a classic Windies ODI top. Ambrose, Walsh, Harper, Hooper, Lara, etc... Those were the days

I was just looking online for a classic Windies ODI top. Ambrose, Walsh, Harper, Hooper, Lara, etc... Those were the days
Very much agreed.

Loved watching the likes of Haynes, Greenidge, Richardson, Richards, Hooper, Logie, Dujon, Marshall, Ambrose, Walsh - clinically blast teams apart.

Mabior said he is mates with Jiath. Anyone have any more info on this? Friendships are what makes a club
I vaguely recall CJ mentioning at some point that all the African players in the AFL had a group chat going.

Very much agreed.

Loved watching the likes of Haynes, Greenidge, Richardson, Richards, Hooper, Logie, Dujon, Marshall, Ambrose, Walsh - clinically blast teams apart.
Very much agreed also. Was a WI supporter up until only a few months ago, now barrack for the Aussies, which is really, really weird.
Basically, I have given up on WI as I never get to see them anymore, and they are a mess, not even in the world cup, and the players just don't give a s**t, so I'm not doing so also.
Followed them in the golden eras, was bliss in the 80's following them and the Hawks juggernaut simultaneously. Viv Richards and Lethal Leigh are still my all-time gods.

There was a time when WI fast bowlers were cool and inspired fear in all. Goddamnit I miss a decent WI team. Sick of cheating Aussies 🔥

Was a great era for fast bowlers in general - McGrath, Ambrose, Walsh, Donald, Pollock, Younis, Akram, Vaas. Not too many bowlers since would displace any of these blokes.

Very much agreed also. Was a WI supporter up until only a few months ago, now barrack for the Aussies, which is really, really weird.
Basically, I have given up on WI as I never get to see them anymore, and they are a mess, not even in the world cup, and the players just don't give a s**t, so I'm not doing so also.
Followed them in the golden eras, was bliss in the 80's following them and the Hawks juggernaut simultaneously. Viv Richards and Lethal Leigh are still my all-time gods.

I remember when I was growing up there were a lot of Aussies who supported the Windies. Have never seen anything else like it in terms of people who were otherwise parochial Aussies but just loved that team and would back them over our own side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Holding, Roberts Garner and Marshall were also pretty amazing

Not to mention the blazing bats of Lloyd, Haynes, Grenedge, Logie, and thr master blaster himself Viv Richards.

I remember when I was growing up there were a lot of Aussies who supported the Windies. Have never seen anything else like it in terms of people who were otherwise parochial Aussies but just loved that team and would back them over our own side.
I think you'll find the Windies were particularly popular with the female population. I remember as a kid waiting to get autographs outside hotels and always seeing lots of women hanging around also trying to get autographs

I think you'll find the Windies were particularly popular with the female population. I remember as a kid waiting to get autographs outside hotels and always seeing lots of women hanging around also trying to get autographs
Yeh, that's what they were trying to get ...

I worked with a woman in Brisbane who was 150cm and spoke fondly about how she used to work in a sports gear place in the city and the Windies players would come in when touring and get a lot of laughs throwing her to one another because she was so tiny.

Isn't this because most of the good players decided they could get a shit load more money playing baseball in the US? I understand that the WI CB don't pay players much and so they struggle to get the talent. I seem to recall Chris Gayle bang on about this.

Last edited:
Mabior said he is mates with Jiath. Anyone have any more info on this? Friendships are what makes a club

Jiath on a wing kicking truly to Chol who goals after the siren to defeat the Bummers
By “goals after the siren to defeat the Bummers” you mean “goals after the siren to push Hawthorn’s winning margin out to triple figures to defeat the Bummers” yeah?

By “goals after the siren to defeat the Bummers” you mean “goals after the siren to push Hawthorn’s winning margin out to triple figures to defeat the Bummers” yeah?
Sounds much better to me ST!!

Again, footballers are just like any other people. Few adults would choose an employer solely because their friends work there. Career opportunities, pay, resources, culture, location etc more important. But having friends would never hurt and if you had two offers you were otherwise torn on, of course it would play a part.
Would argue it's far more important for footy players than people with regular jobs.

They're not office workers, they're in the same club. It's a lot more than a job for most, with notable exceptions like Chad who separates his personal and footy lives almost completely.

How many of your colleagues do you go on holidays with every off season? How many did you / would you invite to your wedding? The vast majority of footy players have close knit groups, they share business ventures, they're best men / groomsmen and - luckily, because they live in each other's pockets for vast parts of the season - they're mostly within a decade of each other.

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn - Mabior Chol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back