Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 18, Josh Weddle

Remove this Banner Ad

The draft is a mystery at times. Weddle has enough size of play as a KPD but is quick, agile, an elite endurance runner, strong overhead and a booming kick but slips to pick 18. DGB went at pick 6, despite being desperately skinny, having no tank and lacking footy smarts. Comparisons are odious and we all hope that DGB will establish himself as a best 22 player. Hindsight is easy, but what is puzzling me is why it was not obvious to recruiters that Weddle was a gun and DGB more of a speculative pick.
DGB doesn't lack footy smarts, is tough, and a beautiful kick. Yes his tank is a problem.

DGB doesn't lack footy smarts, is tough, and a beautiful kick. Yes his tank is a problem.
Yep - DGB is a very nice kick. Is he tough? Certainly acts tough - not the same thing. Footy smarts? He was moved to the forward line because he wasn't a natural back. Doesn't look like a natural forward either. His stats at both end are woeful Where is the evidence of footy smarts? Weddle has kicked more goals from fewer games while playing in the back half.

I am happy to give DGB time because he does show a bit on occasion and he may yet acquire the body and endurance that enables him to make the most of his abilities.

Was a weapon running out of the back line. Like Impey, and Scrimmer, whom I think has gone to next level this year.

Like second half of last year, just go for it when we run into space. Run, run, run, have more run run run. With good disposals. That's the modern game.
There was a moment in the 3rd qtr where both sides were on one side of the ground.
Weddle noticed this and slowly moved to the outer or bench side. Can't recall who had the kick in, if they had of spotted him, the number 23 would have been dashing down the wing again for an all time classic goal.

He is fast becoming my fave player to watch. He can do it all. He has weapons that other players dream of. What we got him for was an absolute steal and kudos to MM and the rest of the recruitment team for spotting and identifying his talent. If they had not of acted we would have missed out big time. To think he is only in his second season and 19 years old is scary. There is so much versatility to his game. I see him being able to play anywhere between the defensive and forward 50 metre arcs so he can rebound from half back if needed or deliver into forward 50 also and be a goalscorer from the 50m metre range also, with time on ball too.

Bloody hell, like what was said before we just need to find a way to clone him, we could do with a Weddle in every part of the ground. I havent actually explicitly heard the AFL come out and say we can't until then im still hoping to find to a way LOL
Would we have access to his clone as a father son?

Hawthorn 2044 lineup:

FB: Weddle - Weddle - Weddle
HB: Weddle - Weddle - Weddle
C: Weddle - Weddle - Weddle
HF: Weddle - Weddle - Weddle
FF: Weddle - Weddle - Weddle
Foll: Weddle - Weddle - Weddle
Int: Weddle - Weddle - Weddle - Moore
The new model player for future AFL, the interesting aspect will be how it reflects on his team mates after a few pre seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep - DGB is a very nice kick. Is he tough? Certainly acts tough - not the same thing. Footy smarts? He was moved to the forward line because he wasn't a natural back. Doesn't look like a natural forward either. His stats at both end are woeful Where is the evidence of footy smarts? Weddle has kicked more goals from fewer games while playing in the back half.

I am happy to give DGB time because he does show a bit on occasion and he may yet acquire the body and endurance that enables him to make the most of his abilities.
He's tough. Fearless.

He has grown since the draft. He is 193 194. KPD height. He is a unique specimen
If JUH is 197cm then Weddles is 196-197cm.

They looked to be the same height to me.

There was a moment in the 3rd qtr where both sides were on one side of the ground.
Weddle noticed this and slowly moved to the outer or bench side. Can't recall who had the kick in, if they had of spotted him, the number 23 would have been dashing down the wing again for an all time classic goal.
I know it would probably have been against instruction but I was disappointed Amon didn't kick it that way. Weddle has the whole wing to run down

Man this kid has so much potential. Really good height, has agility, pace and endurance. Could become anything. Is he our bontempelli?? Is he our Darcy Moore?? Could he be our Curnow?? Tell me either and I wouldn't argue.
Love to see what he becomes

Reckon Weds will become one of the most versatile players in the comp from CHF, CHB, wing and in the middle ……. our Mr fix it! A coaches dream.

He reminds me of Peter Matera with his checkside goals from the 50.

Man this kid has so much potential. Really good height, has agility, pace and endurance. Could become anything. Is he our bontempelli?? Is he our Darcy Moore?? Could he be our Curnow?? Tell me either and I wouldn't argue.
Love to see what he becomes
I'd like to think he becomes a Weddle, rather than limiting the guy by comparisons to others :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back