Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 18, Josh Weddle - Round 10, Rising Star!

Remove this Banner Ad

Some added context. We were not the only club on the phone looking to trade up - will just leave that here.

Stoked selection - welcome Josh

Great to see the enthusiasm in the Weddle household
I assume it was the bombers after the same player with 22 and a future 2.

At least I hope it was 😜

Just saw an interview* from 2 weeks ago where Josh says he's been interviewed by all 18 clubs and when asked who's shown the most interest, he answers Hawthorn. So the clues were there all along. :) Likeable personality and really impressive player.

*Minor point but not sure why the interviewer has his nose shoved up so close to the screen.

We must realllly rate him to give up those picks.

At least we haven't entered into a Stocker type situation like the blues did.

Wish the club would put out a highlight video with a few more clips

Just saw an interview* from 2 weeks ago where Josh says he's been interviewed by all 18 clubs and when asked who's shown the most interest, he answers Hawthorn. So the clues were there all along. :) Likeable personality and really impressive player.

*Minor point but not sure why the interviewer has his nose shoved up so close to the screen.

On his highlights, I liked when he DIDNT call for the ball back when running toward the boundary line because he (presumably) saw a player free central.

On his interview, liked the balance between confidence and humility. I hadn’t seen this so thanks for sharing.

When the interviewer said “Hawthorn are looking for an intercept defender, so that makes sense”…

michael jordan laughing GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have seen him play a couple of games of APS school footy, not as high standard as NAB league but pretty competitive level. He just cruises up and down a wing marking everything, kickouts, intercepts coming back the other way through the centre. Then has the acceleration to play on and create play. He dominated at that level, think Sicily with superior speed. He didn't play as a back at that level, seemed to be all over the ground.

When the interviewer said “Hawthorn are looking for an intercept defender, so that makes sense”…

michael jordan laughing GIF
Yep, I laughed too...he was just caught on the hop, so said something that could sound plausible and authoritative without actually being so...

Last edited:
I have seen him play a couple of games of APS school footy, not as high standard as NAB league but pretty competitive level. He just cruises up and down a wing marking everything, kickouts, intercepts coming back the other way through the centre. Then has the acceleration to play on and create play. He dominated at that level, think Sicily with superior speed. He didn't play as a back at that level, seemed to be all over the ground.
I love pumping up draftees as much as the next person but... Sicily isn't slow.

1669674308250.png

1669674354118.png

I love pumping up draftees as much as the next person but... Sicily isn't slow.

View attachment 1563524

View attachment 1563525
Well there you go, shows you how much faster AFL is as his speed doesn't seem to stand out as much as watching JW at APS level (where those around him are obviously a lot slower) if that makes sense. Clearly Sicily is faster than I thought.

Standout mullet, too.

Put some respect om Scoops' name

Confirmed now that both the F2 and F3 are ours, not the dogs

So our picks next year
Round 1 - ours
Round 2 - Dogs
Round 3 - Dogs
Round 4 - Brisbane

Right. So death-riding the throwdogs next season it is!

And welcome Josh, "Weds", or maybe even "Del"?

Was a bit worried (again) when I saw "defender", but youse lot have excited me up with the winger talk. I just wonder why none of his junior coaches thought of that? You can always find another defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back