Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn 2044 lineup:

FB: Weddle - Weddle - Weddle
HB: Weddle - Weddle - Weddle
C: Weddle - Weddle - Weddle
HF: Weddle - Weddle - Weddle
FF: Weddle - Dear - Weddle
Foll: Weddle - Weddle - Weddle
Int: Weddle - Weddle - Weddle - Moore (C)

EFA

I must admit I thought his footy nouse was quite lacking when he first came into the team, but he's really developing quickly into an instinctual player with confidence to crack in and have a go. Genuinely looks to be having fun just playing footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want to see him spend some time in the middle. Best players play midfield. At least some of the time anyway haha

He is the most exciting young player in the comp.
I think he is low on the list to play through the midfield mate. We have plenty in line to play through there. I have feeling he will be knightsy level Chb for us. Which would be awesome and is really high praise from me and where i see his ceiling. He can defend and attack. I think given the opponents he has played already i think we are headed that way

I want to see him spend some time in the middle. Best players play midfield. At least some of the time anyway haha

He is the most exciting young player in the comp.
He’ll spend plenty of time in the midfield. He has to run through it from CHB to kick his goals :p

He took JUH out of the game and still contributed going the other way. He had multiple runs through the opposition press and snuck forward and kicked a goal. He is a rare athletetic specimen.

As for his best position, who knows? I think he could become a great wingman or a damaging hard-running HFF. But maybe a third-tall backman that has a licence to thrill is his best spot after all.

Weddle will get opportunities in the midfield when we can afford to replace him in the back half. That will depend on CJ getting back to his best, McCabe living up to expectations and Strong continuing to develop. For the time being we are running on Frost, Scrimshaw, Sicily and Weddle (which is a nicely balanced group) to manage the high ball and intercept, with Hardwick, Impey, Amon and Mitchell looking after the ground ball and small forwards. That is pretty much minimum cover and allows us to defend and rebound. But a lot can change over a few years. DGB may establish himself as a KPD, Bodie Ryan could add a few cms or we could nab a quality KPD through FA or trade. There is plenty of time to find out where Weddle is most effective.

Weddle will get opportunities in the midfield when we can afford to replace him in the back half. That will depend on CJ getting back to his best, McCabe living up to expectations and Strong continuing to develop. For the time being we are running on Frost, Scrimshaw, Sicily and Weddle (which is a nicely balanced group) to manage the high ball and intercept, with Hardwick, Impey, Amon and Mitchell looking after the ground ball and small forwards. That is pretty much minimum cover and allows us to defend and rebound. But a lot can change over a few years. DGB may establish himself as a KPD, Bodie Ryan could add a few cms or we could nab a quality KPD through FA or trade. There is plenty of time to find out where Weddle is most effective.
Look at Young from Freo, spent how many years off half back? Then goes into the guts suddenly and is in really good form.

He’s coming along nicely while playing on the best.

“Josh Weddle who has done jobs on Jeremy Cameron, Ben King and Jamarra Ugle-Hagan in recent weeks holding them to a combined four goals - while also having an offensive impact.”

He could be ‘our’ Aaron Naughton at CHB where Naughton should be played.

He could be ‘our’ Aaron Naughton at CHB where Naughton should be played.

Maybe Darcy Moore like, using his athleticism and ability to read the field ahead to make impact plays, and running off his man to providing a rebounding option. Moore is great at that. Though I think Moore is geared more to the defensive side of the game, whilst Weddle can be geared more towards providing overlapping runs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back