West Indies Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
What has happen to West Indies Cricket? Its been a slow and painful death for three decades now finally culminating in losing to Scotland and missing out on the ODI World Cup for the first time. Its very sad to see such a strong and powerful cricketing team fall so far from grace.

Playing sloggers like Johnson Charles is not going to get the job done.

You feel for guys like Tagnarine Chanderpaul, Kraigg Brathwaite, Kemar Roach in the test team. These guys are pretty must it for the West Indies before it’s easy wickets and pies.
And also, Nicholas Pooran has had a great tournament with the bat, but no one there to suppprt him.

They did beat a pre Bazball england in a series just under 18 months ago. Though that was a test series, they play India in a test series shortly as well.

I don’t really think they are better or worse than they have been recently, I do think associate nations are definitely getting better however.

I don’t really think they are better or worse than they have been recently, I do think associate nations are definitely getting better however.

I think this is pretty much it.

A lot of the discourse around them seems to be "if they got more ICC money and better scheduling everything would be ok" - which tends to erase just how much internal maladministration (with almost zero effort at reform) there's been over the past decade and the fact that many of the top flight associates are simply doing more with even less.

It's sad - some of my favourite and formative cricketing memories are inextricably linked with the Windies - but they simply don't deserve to be in the top flight at the moment.

They did beat a pre Bazball england in a series just under 18 months ago. Though that was a test series, they play India in a test series shortly as well.

Last sentence is the key.

Cricket will be better when it's deeper, imo.

We can get to a point where a world cup can be competitive at all stages, and where qualifying will throw up results like this. (FWIW, Italy has failed to qualify for the last two soccer World cups.)

An expanded CWC should mean that qualification isn't an issue, but hopefully the next rung can claim some scalps in future events.

There's a reason why the West Indies Suck (are not good at cricket) . The ICC and Racism. There are no Stars in the WIndies and no one I could name in that team. The ICC and the Major cricketing nations (Yes India, Australia , England) have allowed the West Indies to Die. Now the Windies team are a bunch of soul less cricketing contractors available for the highest bidder, and who could blame them.
These Major cricketing nations have never appreciated their value and have always treated the West Indies as second class citizens . Remember when there were 5 tests series with the West Indies in the Australian Summer. These Major cricketing nations have been happy to exploit the West Indies for commercial gain when Lloyd , Richards, Ambrose, Lara, Gayle were around but never wanted to put money back in developing talent pathways in the West Indies for the future, Now the future is dead. And now Australia can just play test matches with India and England. Imagine the AFL League with just Collingwood , Carlton and Essendon ,Pretty boring that's what international cricket has become. Test Cricket will eventually die soon and who wants to follow soul less T20 Franchises ..errr go Hobart hurricanes ...yaay ...not

There's a reason why the West Indies Suck (are not good at cricket) . The ICC and Racism. There are no Stars in the WIndies and no one I could name in that team. The ICC and the Major cricketing nations (Yes India, Australia , England) have allowed the West Indies to Die. Now the Windies team are a bunch of soul less cricketing contractors available for the highest bidder, and who could blame them.
These Major cricketing nations have never appreciated their value and have always treated the West Indies as second class citizens . Remember when there were 5 tests series with the West Indies in the Australian Summer. These Major cricketing nations have been happy to exploit the West Indies for commercial gain when Lloyd , Richards, Ambrose, Lara, Gayle were around but never wanted to put money back in developing talent pathways in the West Indies for the future, Now the future is dead. And now Australia can just play test matches with India and England. Imagine the AFL League with just Collingwood , Carlton and Essendon ,Pretty boring that's what international cricket has become. Test Cricket will eventually die soon and who wants to follow soul less T20 Franchises ..errr go Hobart hurricanes ...yaay ...not

You can’t name Jason Holder or Kraigg Brathwaite?

Doesn’t sound like you watch a lot of West Indies cricket

Why is it Australia's responsibility to put money into West Indian cricket?

There were 5 test series Vs WI when they were competitive. There is no demand for lengthy series when the cricket is not competitive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WI are due to host the next t20 world cup in June next year. Bad look that it cant qualify for the two latest editions of the limited overs world cup's.

You see this is the Zero sum game mentality , for me to win someone has to lose. Australia and other nations helping West Indies Cricket provides an overall benefit to the Cricketing community, it's a win win. only caring about yourself is short sighted thinking and is a lose-lose mentality. Now they're several generations of talent that has disappeared from the carribean and will in all likelihood never return, an engaging opponent that is now lost forever.

You can’t name Jason Holder or Kraigg Brathwaite?

Doesn’t sound like you watch a lot of West Indies cricket
your right I don't watch a lot , in fact I watch none of Windies cricket today. But I can tell you I can probably name 2 dozen names from the Windies from the 80's 90's era . there in lies the problem

Another issue I think is that many of the core group of West Indies players skipped out of the Windies domestics structure to play the T20 circuits whilst in their prime. This left the West Indies playing almost a 2nd string team, and which in term kept losing, the talent was not there to garner interest. The board punished (justly) these players for not wanting to be part of the domestic season by not allowing them to play international cricket.

While it's disappointing, you have to wonder if these results say as much about ODI Cricket as they do about Windies Cricket. As has been pointed out, there Test team hasn't actually been that bad, they looked more competitive than South Africa in Australia (albeit, still not strong) and have had some decent results at home.

I'm not sure on their current T20 form but they've clearly been good at it at times in recent past.

ODI is awkwardly caught in the middle. Outside the World Cup there's not a whole lot of reason to invest in it and as we see in Australia it has been given the shaft more than anything domestically.

With the Cricket Calendar getting tighter and tighter you have to wonder if it's going to get the chop in the near future.

While it's disappointing, you have to wonder if these results say as much about ODI Cricket as they do about Windies Cricket. As has been pointed out, there Test team hasn't actually been that bad, they looked more competitive than South Africa in Australia (albeit, still not strong) and have had some decent results at home.

I'm not sure on their current T20 form but they've clearly been good at it at times in recent past.

ODI is awkwardly caught in the middle. Outside the World Cup there's not a whole lot of reason to invest in it and as we see in Australia it has been given the shaft more than anything domestically.

With the Cricket Calendar getting tighter and tighter you have to wonder if it's going to get the chop in the near future.

I think we are either unbeaten at home in our last 5 series or have only lost one of our last 6 (one of the two).

And given India’s current state of moderate flux I would expect us to be competitive in the series starting this week. Was disappointed with the SA series as we had a window of opportunity to get a result against a struggling team in somewhat helpful conditions and botched it.

T20 ebbs and flows, we will be back competing there soon enough.

It isn’t just the relevance factor of ODI cricket, it’s the fact that we haven’t improved.

People having a glance at the scores from the qualifying tournament probably think we have to have regressed to lose to Scotland and Netherlands etc.
we haven’t.
Pooran and Hope had good tournaments, Holder had a good tournament, Brandon king had a good tournament. It’s not like we had all our players under performing.

Simply put, we haven’t gotten better while other sides have. And they’ve gone past us. Afghanistan and Bangladesh already had, and now Zimbabwe have. I would say that if we played Scotland and the Dutch in 5-match series we’d probably beat both but I don’t think it would be a walk in the park

There were 5 test series Vs WI when they were competitive. There is no demand for lengthy series when the cricket is not competitive.
It’s in our interest to make sure our opponents put up a good fight, because that drives eyeballs to TV screens, which is where CA make most of their money.

And if that means they spend some of that money making sure that teams other than England and India are competitive, that’s money well spent, in my book.

rsa have already made drastic changes to their Test outfit after the Australian summer. The inclusion of Aiden Markram to the Test squads helped them fill the gaps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back