West Indies Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s in our interest to make sure our opponents put up a good fight, because that drives eyeballs to TV screens, which is where CA make most of their money.

And if that means they spend some of that money making sure that teams other than England and India are competitive, that’s money well spent, in my book.
unfortunately cricket is ruled by self-interest these days, so that's a difficult concept to push.

I'm not sure on their current T20 form but they've clearly been good at it at times in recent past.
Terrible. They've been better at ODI cricket than T20 cricket recently. W27 L48 in the last 5 years and lost to Ireland and Scotland at the last World Cup to be knocked out before the super 12 stage.

Their best players often choose money or other sports (with money) over playing cricket for the West Indies. They are probably lost forever ad a competitive test "nation". But they're just one, a perennially underachieving one at that, who can't help themselves.

A lot of people go for the romance angle (I.e. their history) as why they need special help, but they don't seem to take any pride in it themselves, why should anyone else bother?

It’s in our interest to make sure our opponents put up a good fight, because that drives eyeballs to TV screens, which is where CA make most of their money.

And if that means they spend some of that money making sure that teams other than England and India are competitive, that’s money well spent, in my book.
India are the ones making all the money off it...

Not West Indies specific, but I would argue these franchise leagues should have to pay a surcharge to the home cricket board of each foreign player they hire (poach), to ensure international cricket can be funded adequately.

Last edited:
Not West Indies specific, but I would argue these franchise leagues should have to pay a surcharge to the home cricket board of each foreign player they hire (poach), to ensure international cricket can be funded adequately.

The ICC (Indian Cricket Council) would never allow it though.

Their best players often choose money or other sports (with money) over playing cricket for the West Indies. They are probably lost forever ad a competitive test "nation". But they're just one, a perennially underachieving one at that, who can't help themselves.

A lot of people go for the romance angle (I.e. their history) as why they need special help, but they don't seem to take any pride in it themselves, why should anyone else bother?

It isn’t a question of pride, it’s a question of economics. They HAVE to make a living like anyone else. And yeah there are other countries that don’t pay their centrally contracted players huge amounts but they can also offer more in their local domestic franchise and even first class systems.

It’s a f**ktonne more complicated than ‘pride’ mate.

Thoughts on the West Indies selection for the series against India?
And changes that should be made?

They have to play Athanaze. Has done really well in domestic cricket recently. Brathwaite and Chanderpaul have no reason not to succeed at home - I read recently that Brathwaite has actually faced more balls than all but I think 4 players in west indies history which is an amazing stat when you think about it.
Blackwood is ok in the middle order, Athanaze has some ability. I hope they get as much as possible out of Holder and da Silva this series.

They did beat a pre Bazball england in a series just under 18 months ago. Though that was a test series, they play India in a test series shortly as well.

I don’t really think they are better or worse than they have been recently, I do think associate nations are definitely getting better however.

They win at home on dodgy wickets sometimes .
How often do they put out a dodgy wicket in the first test to nick a 1-0 lead and then have the flattest roads in history for the other tests?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They have to play Athanaze. Has done really well in domestic cricket recently. Brathwaite and Chanderpaul have no reason not to succeed at home - I read recently that Brathwaite has actually faced more balls than all but I think 4 players in west indies history which is an amazing stat when you think about it.
Blackwood is ok in the middle order, Athanaze has some ability. I hope they get as much as possible out of Holder and da Silva this series.
It feels like Braithwaite has been there for years, it's just that finally his got an opening partner that he can share the load with. Too bad it's in the twilight of his career.
Athanaze has been in the sidelines for sometime, keeps getting into the squad, not playing. Hopefully some refresh blood for the future.
Would like to Shai Hope rejoin the Test side. A consistent performer that made the Windies can use to solidify the middle order.

You see this is the Zero sum game mentality , for me to win someone has to lose. Australia and other nations helping West Indies Cricket provides an overall benefit to the Cricketing community, it's a win win. only caring about yourself is short sighted thinking and is a lose-lose mentality. Now they're several generations of talent that has disappeared from the carribean and will in all likelihood never return, an engaging opponent that is now lost forever.
I agree however I feel it is also partially their board's fault and that their issues are self-inflicted. There are so many talented West Indian players not playing in their side due to issues on their board, I feel like a lot of West Indies players don't care a lot about national pride. Unlike other smaller nations and associates where playing for their country is still the ultimate goal, look at Afghanistan for example all their players are extremely passionate to go and play for their nation unlike Windies players, where I would assume Afghan players wouldn't be paid a hell of a lot.

I agree however I feel it is also partially their board's fault and that their issues are self-inflicted. There are so many talented West Indian players not playing in their side due to issues on their board, I feel like a lot of West Indies players don't care a lot about national pride. Unlike other smaller nations and associates where playing for their country is still the ultimate goal, look at Afghanistan for example all their players are extremely passionate to go and play for their nation unlike Windies players, where I would assume Afghan players wouldn't be paid a hell of a lot.

Afghanistan being a nation would help. Yes there are times when regional pride Unites the Caribbean but at the end of the day they aren’t a country

Afghanistan being a nation would help. Yes there are times when regional pride Unites the Caribbean but at the end of the day they aren’t a country
I'm not sure how fix the issue, but other countries such Zimbabwe, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe etc have no problem fielding their full strength teams, and would be getting paid just as much or even less by their national boards than WICB are paying their players. I haven't looked fully into it, but guys like Shimron Hetmyer missing the World Cup for missing a flight just seems ridiculous to me.

Even at domestic level, the Leeward Islands and the Windward Islands are collectives of countries

Another example could be Jofra Archer using Kolpak to play for England over the West Indies.

The British are to blame for all of this :D
Jofra Archer didn't need Kolpak - he was already a British citizen.

I'm not sure how fix the issue, but other countries such Zimbabwe, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe etc have no problem fielding their full strength teams, and would be getting paid just as much or even less by their national boards than WICB are paying their players. I haven't looked fully into it, but guys like Shimron Hetmyer missing the World Cup for missing a flight just seems ridiculous to me.

It’s a fair point but their guys aren’t in nearly as much demand as most of the Windies guys.

Of the Bangladesh regulars Shakib and maybe Liton Das would probably be walk-ups to any franchise league, I am really not sure as decent as they are at ODI level whether the likes of Williams and Ervine from Zimbabwe would be in high demand. Sikanda Raza would be a gun in most leagues I think.

So while I can’t really prove this I suspect that a lot of the time with both those teams, they’re not ‘avoiding’ having their players unavailable because they probably aren’t that likely to feature.

From a BBL perspective how many of them do you think would have been attractive to the Aussie franchises in the last decade? Not a lot.
Meanwhile we’ve had Gayle, Bravo, Pollard, Russell, Pooran, Holder, Roach, Carlos Brathwaite, Andre Fletcher, Keemo Paul, Lendl Simmons etc etc.

Essentially, there are a lot more West Indies players having to make that choice.

Zimbabwe have heaps of problems fielding their full sides. For the past 20 years (at least) a hell of a lot of their best players have stopped playing for Zimbabwe to play county cricket. See Sean Ervine, Murray Goodwin, Ray Price, Kyle Jarvis, Brendan Taylor, Blessing Muzarabani (for a few years). Even Dion Myers didn't take a national contract so he could study in England.

They win at home on dodgy wickets sometimes .
How often do they put out a dodgy wicket in the first test to nick a 1-0 lead and then have the flattest roads in history for the other tests?

Just to reaffirm how incorrect this is, as I’m still puzzled as to how you arrived at such a conclusion, against England it was two draws that England dominated in the first two tests, and THEN in the third Kyle mayers ran a train through the England top order and WI won the series. Against Bangladesh who had not long won their first proper away test against NZ, we led 1-0 then belted them in the second test.
South Africa beat us easily.
Against Pakistan we won the first test by a wicket and then lost by 100 runs in the second for a drawn series.
We lost to India comfortably though had their top order in trouble both games
We played two draws with Sri Lanka during Covid
We won the first and second tests against England before that.

It feels like Braithwaite has been there for years, it's just that finally his got an opening partner that he can share the load with. Too bad it's in the twilight of his career.
Athanaze has been in the sidelines for sometime, keeps getting into the squad, not playing. Hopefully some refresh blood for the future.
Would like to Shai Hope rejoin the Test side. A consistent performer that made the Windies can use to solidify the middle order.

Brathwaite’s only 30.
Has a lot of cricket left and he’s actually improving. Has averaged 39.8 in his last 25 tests.
If he could just find maybe one extra attacking area he would be comfortably a mid-40s opener, unfortunately he’s a little bit limited but he has definitely performed a better role for his side than what his overall record probably suggests

Remove this Banner Ad

Back