Autopsy "What Do We Say To The God of Death?" - Freo Keep Season Alive Against Gc

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol giving Luke Ryan a 10 and JOM a 5 invalidates it. Seems he just goes by stats rather than impact

Season 7 Nbc GIF by One Chicago

So it was an great experience to be in Adelaide for gather round. Loved the Norwood ground and I’d advise anyone thinking of it to get over there next year. There was a FIFA World Cup finals like atmosphere around the town all weekend it was brilliant.
As for the game - plenty has been said but these were my thoughts.

- not overly convinced we have turned the corner yet. Loved how the shackles came off in Q4 but in truth the game should have been well and truly over midway though Q3 in GC favour.
Some of the GC misses were horrendous.
  • I thought Luke Ryan looked underdone in a big way. He came good at the last but jeez he doesn’t look fit at all.
  • Serong was outstanding even when we were s**t early on.
  • Jackson’s game is being understated. I thought he was excellent and nailed two difficult pressure set shots at key moments. Clutch. Already contributing more than Lobb at this best IMO.
  • Sturt was a mixed bag. One very soft contest led directly to a suns goal but with ball in hand, good things happened. Needs to be getting 10 disposals and 5 or 6 score involvements from here on.
  • Brodie was superb when he came on.
  • Amiss was class and it looked a breakout game from the young fella.

Of maybe more interest to this board was what I observed off the field over the few days. Adelaide is such a small town!

Jackson and Amiss were getting lunch together on the Sunday after the Adelaide game and I noticed they warmed up in pairs together a bit on the Friday. Seems to be a budding bromance going in which is good to see. Also passed by aliir and Ollie wines and a few more Port lads on the Wednesday night too in the restaurant part of Adelaide CBD on the street. I’m sure those boys get plenty of attention in Adelaide lol

In the stand at Norwood, sitting near me watching the game was Henry, draper, NOD and a bunch of young girls, some of whom may have been partners and kids of the freo team I’m assuming. Hailey Miller from the womens team was also watching the game with this group and Elijah Hollands from GC was also close by in the stand with some GC people.
It’s always interesting to look at the body language of listed players not on the field. They dont get anywhere near as pumped up as the fans (I’ve seen this before too actually in other teams).

You forget how these guys are really only kids. Draper is a child in terms of physical development, he looks like a 15 year old boy TBH, I think he needs at least a year in the gym before being let loose on an AFL ground. Someone said he’s same height as Amiss - I very much doubt that. Jye and Luke are two BIG boys when standing next to them.
Could hear NOD talk about a chest infection keeping him out of the game which makes sense. He’s also quite friendly with Hollands from GC - they had a big handshake and chat for a few min when they met each other on the steps during the last quarter while the game was still in the balance, reiterates to me how so many of these players are mates well beyond clubs lines.

Will see what happens on Friday - if we can get to 3-3 at least the season is still there with something to play for and a few
Opportunities to take some big scalps in the subsequent weekends.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if NOD had/has long covid. He has been battling some sort of chest/breathing ailment for most of this year.

Worth noting we were the 3rd youngest side for the round and had the least average amount of games played - even less games played than Hawthorn.

Supporters and opposition supporters alike have expectations for us to perform and be a top 8 side again using last year as a benchmark, truth is we are still a very young group still developing in their early stages, we have a MASSIVE scope for improvement and all of our key pillars are under 28:

Pearce - 27
Cox - 24
Darcy - 24
Jackson - 21(!)
Amiss - 19

Then you’ve got the young leaders around them:

Brayshaw - 23
Serong - 22
Young - 22
Frederick - 22
Schultz - 25

I’m as hungry for a flag as anyone else on here but it’s important to be realistic in the approach to the ultimate success. We need to continue to build and develop as a team and understand that these guys are going to have off days. Finals is and will be the goal because we know now that this team is capable with the core we have, but we have a lot to look forward to for many years to come given these guys stick together.

859E509E-99E6-431A-B1CA-8424448B87B3.jpeg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back