Autopsy "What Do We Say To The God of Death?" - Freo Keep Season Alive Against Gc

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a decent read about the breakdown of the game.

No pay wall to read and brings up good points that I think alot of us have observed

Footy Fix: Don't let the comeback fool you, Freo have been worked out​

This article is so accurate , it's scary.
Our defence looked all at sea for 2 and a half quarters.

Not sure about that. Think most were having issues with Pearce and Ryan underperforming. Also young, Clarke, Wilson not generating the run
individually plenty of underperformers, and they gave us nothing offensively, but the highest score we conceded those first three rounds was 73 so they must have been doing something right

This is a decent read about the breakdown of the game. What all were wondering about Lukosius and how he was getting so free in the first half

No pay wall to read and brings up good points that I think alot of us have observed

Footy Fix: Don't let the comeback fool you, Freo have been worked out​

Quite insightful, our defense do sag off a lot. The low scores we keep our opposition to, is largely because our defenders don’t provide the dash and rebound opposition teams seem to get. Hence they are always “ready” inside 50. Early this year they have pushed up, but they don’t know where to go, the amount of times Pearce was between the kicks shat me no end.

Lobb at the same age had similar upside as Jackson seems to have, but in different areas. Marking especially, and he would have been seen as having great potential as a forward weapon and a useful second ruck. At his occasional best Lobb achieved some of that.

I have faith in Jackson and still support the trade with all it's risks attached. We lack matchwinners and genuine weapons. He looked pretty fired up and aggressive after delivering that long goal. That stuff impacts both teams. Right now we have someone still in their development curve but also being productive.

The other main issue from the game is when is Cox going to accept he is going bald and either get a toupee or just shave it off.

Make a decision Brennan on your hair just like you a taking a mark in the D50.
Yep. I mean Norman Gunston had the class and presence to pull that kind of look of, but Brennan, your not in his league.

I like that roar article but feel it does miss the mark with the second half a little by basically just saying it was all GC being bad.

While it should have been done earlier, the Luko match-up was fixed, our disposal improved significantly and we ran patterns better. I have no doubt part of that was GC being bad but we did correct properly.

I don’t think we are now going on a run that will fix our whole season but there are glimmers in the first 5 weeks to suggest it’s not end of the world stuff yet. Have to beat Dogs though

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The other main issue from the game is when is Cox going to accept he is going bald and either get a toupee or just shave it off.

Make a decision Brennan on your hair just like you a taking a mark in the D50.
And Brodie. The short sides with trimmed top isn’t fooling anyone mate. Playing with it during the game doesn’t help either

The biggest thing I noticed in the second half was GC weren't getting those short kicks out of defence and were forced to kick long down the line (like we are every time we take a kick in). Why do we normally make it so easy for teams to exit their forward half from kick ins?

I like that roar article but feel it does miss the mark with the second half a little by basically just saying it was all GC being bad.

While it should have been done earlier, the Luko match-up was fixed, our disposal improved significantly and we can patterns better. I have no doubt part of that was GC being bad but we did correct properly.

I don’t think we are now going on a run that will fix our whole season but there are glimmers in the first 5 weeks to suggest it’s not end of the world stuff yet. Have to beat Dogs though
We cut off the easy kicks, and forced them down the line a lot more. Once we did this, then everything became easier.

The question I have is, did we make a change, or did Gold Coast just stopping running as hard?

Quite insightful, our defense do sag off a lot. The low scores we keep our opposition to, is largely because our defenders don’t provide the dash and rebound opposition teams seem to get. Hence they are always “ready” inside 50. Early this year they have pushed up, but they don’t know where to go, the amount of times Pearce was between the kicks shat me no end.
Well have we improved from last year? You lose 4 AFL players and a midfield coach.
Add the loss of Mundy and thats a bridge too far.
Then you play Fyfe before actual forwards, and it comes out that he is carrying an
injury.
Now we are the hunted and the opposition know our style of play.
Last year we lost in the rain, and that looks like repeating
From the outside it just looks like we were expecting improvement with games
played.
Win more midfield ball, two way running and the backs can get to work.
Faster ball movement gives the forwards a chance, sometimes you just need to
play finals type footy and stop messing around with the ball.

Just finished watching the 2nd half after listening to the 1st half on the radio earlier today. About to go back and read this thread, but before my thoughts get influenced by others, there's three main things that jumped out at me (bearing in mind I haven't seen the first half which didn't sound great on the radio).

1. There was a concerted effort to create run from behind the ball and move it quickly with overlap. This makes me lean towards believing JLo when he says the players weren't playing how the coaches wanted them to with that slow chip rubbish. It's still the coach's job to get the players playing how they want of course, but a temporary malfunction in that is a much lesser evil than thinking the coach actually wanted us playing that rubbish we saw earlier this year.

2. Will Brodie is one of the most important players on our list. When he's firing it completely changes the dynamic and overall effectiveness of our midfield. We saw that last year, we saw it again when he was out of form in the first couple of weeks, and we saw it again tonight when he was suddenly back to 2022 form.

3. The amount of kicks to nice leads inside the 'V' I50 really jumped out at me. Tabs has forged a great career from the rookie list but the last few years I've been more and more convinced that his lack of natural forward smarts has been a big part of our I50 problems. He's a commanding presence but unfortunately his two main moves are the lead to deep in the pocket, and the stand still and motion for the player to kick it on his head from 70m away.

It might be confirmation bias on my behalf, but without him up there we suddenly looked so much more dynamic. Amiss has so many more strings to his bow with different leading patterns and the ability to continue to influence the play once the ball hits the ground. Not to mention better ability to link up with teammates when he needs to move it on after a mark. We're going to be so much better off pumping games into him rather than going back to the one-dimensional Tabs well.
Always appreciate your posts.

1) I think many posters on here would have a plan for how they might 'want' the players to play, but that isn't coaching. Coaching is the second part of your point which is getting it to happen. Always a risk with a rookie coach. They need time. But Longmuir had got his 50 games under his belt, had his list changes and preseasons, and is now wearing big boy pants. I'm really disappointed with the season, but a good adage for this kind of situation is that 'it is all about what happens next'.

2) Brodie has 2 problems which impact the rest of the team. He can't run out a game, and he doesn't have a second position. At times those limitations will make his spot vulnerable. As the sub he was great.

3) this not only true for Taberner, but if the club recognises that we are still in a transition and rebuild period then focus on that. Get games into players we want impacting next year. Was great to see Draper recognised and Erasmus's current development should be questioned.

Always appreciate your posts.

2) Brodie has 2 problems which impact the rest of the team. He can't run out a game, and he doesn't have a second position. At times those limitations will make his spot vulnerable. As the sub he was great.
But Brodie is better at his first position than just about anyone else in the team bar serong. If other players can play other positions, then they should, and Brodie should play where he plays best. And if JOM struggles to play full games too then shouldn't the balance work out?

There is an honesty to rocking a ****ed up half bald look. Its brave. Shaving it off is for the ladies.
Absolutely not. Shaving it off is brave and manly. Clinging onto the few strands of hair that still drape over their forward is cowardly and weak.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back