Autopsy "What Do We Say To The God of Death?" - Freo Keep Season Alive Against Gc

Remove this Banner Ad

Random question

Can anyone name the eight players that have played for Gold Coast & Freo?

1. Lachie Weller
2. Sam Collins
3. Barlow
4. Will Brodie

Off the top of my head

Matera, Bennell, Omeara.
The commentators who shared the stat couldn't even name them.

:drunk:

I'm very impressed with Amiss but is it only me (and my opinion) who feels that he gets a bit too close to the man on the mark when shooting for goal?
Does any else feel the same?
I think especially when he is further out. However, I’m firmly in the camp of “let him do his thing” as he is so accurate.

This was massive. Looked like a new strategy to tap the ball clear of the congestion, rather than just drop it down where it can be sharked by an opposition player. Finally.
Made a point of it pregame. Miller and Rowell are inside beasts. They read and shark taps so well. Took it out of their hands and made it so much harder for them to get into the game.

All the good things to talk about from yesterday's game yet the most prevalent topic is talking about Cox and Brodie's supposed balding.

What struck me differently while watching that game compared the game against Adelaide is that even while we were down 4 goals there was a sense of reassurance purely by knowing guys like Amiss, Sturt and Freddy CAN bob up and kick 2 quick goals alongside Shultz and Sonny. We didn’t see that from Sturt or Frederick but just having the forward structure means we can kick a winning score even while on the canvas. This is the way forward and if we can now tidy up our defensive work we might actually get back to playing our best footy.

Also Brodie was enormous in the second half and no way he’ll be getting dropped again anytime soon.

Geez Brodie very stiff, definitely would have had him in our best. 16 touches & 6 clearances in a half of footy (48% TOG) is a super return to form.

I was happy to take the win yesterday.

But we just struggled against a bottom 2 team. I think the questions on the coach stand.
Agree.

Not sure we come away with the win with Witts in the ruck. First half was woeful.

Backs still giving waaaaaay too much tow rope early.

Eleni umpired very very well.
Ignoring her bounces...
And the one where she clearly paid a clear over the shoulder for us and then just meekly let another umpire overrule her and call a ball up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amiss oozes class. In 5 years time he is going to arguably be the best KPF in the comp or at least in the top 5. He just needs to start kicking through the ball more from distance. That drop punt from the boundary was a thing of beauty.

Johnno and Sturt have to stay in now. Both just add class that is missing. Some of our best passages of play went through Sturt's hands. Get the ball into their hands more.

Jackson is continuing to build and getting better each game. It is great seeing him start to hold his marks but what makes it better is when he finishes off his good work.

Wagner had a better 2nd half. His first half was not good but he didn't put a foot wrong in the 2nd. I do think he copped a bit more criticism than was warranted, though. He isn't a big guy and in a couple of contests was just out muscled. He needed a chop out from the backline that never came.

Sonny. Superb. I wrote him off last season but he has had a great start to the season (last week aside).

The backline continue to be s**t but we also saw how much more effective they are when they get help up the ground.

I have no idea why we went with Switta if he was under any kind of injury cloud. Brodie should have played from the start and showed when he came on why he should be in ahead of JOM. I was supportive of trading for him but he has been terrible. Brodie is the better player.

Skills. Skills. Skills. Again our skills killed us. The fact that most of Adelaide's score last week came from turnover and same again tonight shows just how bad we are. I'd also be interested to see that stat from the first 3 games too. I have a feeling it will be the same thing. A serious emphasis needs to be put on skill work moving forward and drafting players that are clean.

That 2nd half showed me I was right. It was a skill issue more than a game plan issue. It was obvious over the first 4 games we were trying to move the ball quicker but our skills continually let us down. The 2nd half showed what we can do when we are clean. I do still think we are very easy to coach against and if GC didn't run out of legs they probably still win.

The Brownlow votes are going to be interesting. Does Serong get the 3 or does Lukoscious? I still think Luko was probably BOG but Serong was immense and probably gets 3 because we won.
And Banner’s not even a mention? While not perfect, he played his part and then some, glad he was out there for me….

I was happy to take the win yesterday.

But we just struggled against a bottom 2 team. I think the questions on the coach stand.
It’s a long season. Teams are all over the place.
I love the turnaround in the second half. Forward line looks lively and fun.

As Dermi said, it makes him kick the ball too high and he doesn't get enough momentum.
“look at the way he shuffles into goal with his legs until his proximity becomes significantly too close to the opposition player standing the mark which causes him to elevate the trajectory of his kick towards the target to such a degree that there is an exaggerated launch angle meaning that the perpendicular distance travelled by the Sherrin is insufficient for a score to be registered”

I'm very impressed with Amiss but is it only me (and my opinion) who feels that he gets a bit too close to the man on the mark when shooting for goal?
Does any else feel the same?

He would have a hard time if they removed the "Stand" rule for the man on the mark, but until that day he is fine.

“look at the way he shuffles into goal with his legs until his proximity becomes significantly too close to the opposition player standing the mark which causes him to elevate the trajectory of his kick towards the target to such a degree that there is an exaggerated launch angle meaning that the perpendicular distance travelled by the Sherrin is insufficient for a score to be registered”

I liked that win. Are we back to our best? Nope. Did we beat ferocious competition? Nope. What we did do is take a big step toward seeing what our forward set up should look like.

I've always preached Amiss as 2nd or 3rd tall, but he looked amazing as the main man and seemed to relish it too. Sure he'll have a hard time for the next year or two against the few A-Grade defenders (May/Moore etc) but he's going to be an absolute stud. The main benefit of this for me is that it allows us to use Jackson as a more free roaming tall around the arc as opposed to the Lobb role in which he's struggled for mine. This also suits Treacy, who's always played better at CHF than than the #1 FF. He can use his tank and field kicking, plus he seems to benefit from not having to be 'the guy'.

Sturt showed enough to be given a run, so when Fyfe returns it'll be interesting. Personally I think Banners to the subs bench is the way to go (even though he's performing well - sub suits for me as I think he's one of the better impact players in the comp).

There'll be more bad games, no doubt, but we saw glimpses of what that front line could be, and how Amiss is the key piece it all revolves around. Give it time for the chemistry to improve and I'm confident this team is still going somewhere.

NB: Jackson's best game so far. Still needs to improve his marking, but he's going to be a star, and we won't mind paying the likely top 10 pick this year for him.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back