List Mgmt. What to do with McCartin?

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s getting the same delivery as all our other forwards.
And when playing alongside Battle, he was able to get a lot of one on ones and looked like a good forward.

But when it was just him and Membrey, the opposition could afford to play two on Paddy because they know we always bomb it long to the goal square and you can put your third tall on Membrey without an issue.

And dont use the Carlton game as your counter argument that our other forwards get better delivery because Carltons backline is terrible and they had very little pressure coming from their midfield.

Got to say I have never noticed any real acceleration.
He is good for the first 15-20m, then it goes down hill

I think we all know deep down Paddy will never be a star.

You hope to get one at pick 1.

Unfortunately Paddy may not even ever be a good AFL footballer.

Trade if you can and get on with life.
Jump at anything from pick 15 - 35

And when playing alongside Battle, he was able to get a lot of one on ones and looked like a good forward.

But when it was just him and Membrey, the opposition could afford to play two on Paddy because they know we always bomb it long to the goal square and you can put your third tall on Membrey without an issue.

And dont use the Carlton game as your counter argument that our other forwards get better delivery because Carltons backline is terrible and they had very little pressure coming from their midfield.

He is good for the first 15-20m, then it goes down hill

Pick & choose all the strict criteria that suits Paddy’s game style all you like but from what I’ve seen he’s a below average afl player that is lucky to be in a bottom four teams best 22. Doubt he would be in any other. He needs to drastically improve, which I have significant doubts he’s got it in him.

Paddy's acceleration off the mark is good. But with our wayward kicking and him having two opponents most of the time, he has been struggling to get that separation.
How do you explain Membrey, Battle and now Marshall showing more then?

How do you explain Membrey, Battle and now Marshall showing more then?
Marshall hasn't shown more.

Membrey is a better player than Paddy.

Battle has been great but we havn't seen him as the number one forward, so its hard to judge. But I have always been a huge fan of Battle's and believe he will be a genuine superstar.

Battle has been great but we havn't seen him as the number one forward, so its hard to judge. But I have always been a huge fan of Battle's and believe he will be a genuine superstar.

Do you honestly think the opposition rate Paddy as our number one forward? I reckon more work would go into battle already. The advantage he has is he has a tank so can run off his opponent.

Well that’s where I disagree. Marshall has played 9 games, and has him covered statistically in pretty much every area. He’s quicker, more agile and harder at it than Paddy too.
Paddy averages less than a goal, less than 10 possesions and less than a tackle a game. After 5 years in the system. The kids had bad luck with injuries but you can’t sugar coat how poor he has been.

Do you honestly think the opposition rate Paddy as our number one forward? I reckon more work would go into battle already. The advantage he has is he has a tank so can run off his opponent.
They clearly rate Paddy as the number one forward, hence why they always send their best defender to him. But by the end of next year it will be Battle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't we just love a whipping boy down at StKilda!
The reality is he is with us and i don't see any club offering worthwhile compo
for us to offload him. Have no doubt that with just a little luck for a change that
it will eventually click for Paddy and we will all see that there is a serious footballer
hidden in that big mattress of his.....

They clearly rate Paddy as the number one forward, hence why they always send their best defender to him. But by the end of next year it will be Battle.

No they don’t do that. Not many teams do that to many players. Defenders now usually play in a position either deep or up the ground so when paddy is deep he gets a different defender than when he up the ground. There is no way McGovern would play on paddy if he was deep for example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well that’s where I disagree. Marshall has played 9 games, and has him covered statistically in pretty much every area. He’s quicker, more agile and harder at it than Paddy too.
Paddy averages less than a goal, less than 10 possesions and less than a tackle a game. After 5 years in the system. The kids had bad luck with injuries but you can’t sugar coat how poor he has been.
Marshall is extremely overrated by most people on here. He really hasn't shown anything special in his games, except that he is tall. He played well on Friday but it was nothing exceptional and I wouldn't be hanging our future on him becoming a dominant player. He is fine depth but he will never be more than that.

Paddy has been extremely unlucky with his injuries but the few times he has had a decent run at it, you can see how talented he is and how much of a football brain he had. I just find it funny that there was no issues with Paddy during his last block of games because everyone could see him improving with each game and with the continuity he was finally getting really looked like having that serious break out game. One poor game after injuring his foot early in the match, and the vultures are out hoping to get the easy kill.

What Marshall gave us on the weekend was a big, big upgrade overall on what we usually get from Paddy, and it was much more in line with what Roma was showing prior to his concussion against Geelong (once he returned a few weeks later, after a week or two not playing, he was way off what he was doing pre-concussion), so if that's anything like what we're going to get from him consistently for the rest of the year, then he would comfortably be ahead of Paddy in the pecking order.

So the question then would be Paddy v Battle for mine, all things being equal.

Roma can generally compete just as much as Paddy for the high balls that we like to put on his head, and even more so, due to his extra inches, and he's got the mobility and speed to be able to get up the ground and take marks on the lead outside 50 like Paddy does, his field kicking is excellent like Paddy's, and he showed that he can also mark on the lead inside 50.

Then there are the things he's vastly better than Paddy at, and that's what he brings in terms of rucking ability (which also allows us to leave Hickey a kick behind the play at stoppages inside our F50) and defensive pressure.

Roma's tackling is one of the things that's impressed me the most when I've seen him play this year and his pressure numbers have consistently been way, way better than Paddy's.

On the weekend he layed 3 tackles (triple Paddy's average for the year) and had 25 pressure points. Paddy last week had just 12. In one of the games they played together earlier in the year Roma had 38 PP's to Paddy's paltry 8 and in another game earlier in the year Roma had more than Paddy and Skunk combined.

In that Geelong game where he only played a half, Rohan layed 3 tackles and had 23 pressure points, whereas Paddy for the whole game had 1 and 13.

So he is streets ahead of Paddy in terms of what he brings from a pressure and tackling perspective, and when you consider that Paddy averages less than 10 disposals and 1 goal per game, I find it extremely difficult to make a case for picking him ahead of Marshall, if the latter keeps playing even to 70% of the level he played at on the weekend.

Paddy is such a liability defensively that until he's kicking 2-3 goals a week and upping his marks average from 4.8 to 6 or more, we're obviously likely to be better off with someone in there who can give us a similar or better output offensively, but with a much better defensive game.

As for the "it was only against Carlton" comments, it needs to be remembered that Rohan did a lot of his best work in the first quarter (including 3 of his 4 scores for the game and 5 of his 16 disposals), when it was actually a very competitive and frenetic game, so it's not like he did it all in junk-time, like say those who got most of their disposals in the 2nd half, when it was like a training run.

He obviously has to back it up and not drop off dramatically, but if he doesn't, we'd surely have him pretty much pencilled in for the rest of year.
No doubt his defensive work as a forward is relatively terrible, even competition wide for people regularly getting a game.

You wonder how much it will ever improve though, but he needs to do quite a lot offensively if he's going to be a genuine liability going the other way.

Theres not many who don't defend at that level now a day, but if you do you need to be slamming them through consistently.

To me Paddy will be a star CHF if he gets his tank sorted. I’ve always seen him as Ruffhead like, but if there is no tank then all the other solid parts of his game fall away.
Maybe, but now nearing the end of his fourth year in the system his tank is still such a long way off.

Marshall is extremely overrated by most people on here. He really hasn't shown anything special in his games, except that he is tall. He played well on Friday but it was nothing exceptional and I wouldn't be hanging our future on him becoming a dominant player. He is fine depth but he will never be more than that.

Paddy has been extremely unlucky with his injuries but the few times he has had a decent run at it, you can see how talented he is and how much of a football brain he had. I just find it funny that there was no issues with Paddy during his last block of games because everyone could see him improving with each game and with the continuity he was finally getting really looked like having that serious break out game. One poor game after injuring his foot early in the match, and the vultures are out hoping to get the easy kill.
Mate if Paddy played like Marshall did on Friday night then there would be no issues. Yes he was improving, and he’s had some decent games but the fact is he’s had a lot of poor games too. Are you happy with our number 1 forward averaging less than a goal a game? He’s kicked a career high 3 goals in a match, once. 5 out of his 13 games this year he hasn’t kicked a goal. He has no pressure, 0.9 tackles a game.
Marshall can also help out in the ruck and win some hit outs.
You say that Marshall hasn’t shown anything except being tall? In his 8th career game had 16 disposals, 8 marks, 2 goals and 23 hit outs. Do you really think that that’s everyone overrating him for the sake of potting Paddy? That would almost be a career best game for Paddy.

We don't have to do anything with him , he is contracted till 2020 so see if he comes good by then , if he doesn't it is no big deal because we have Bruce , Membery , Battle and Marshall - so he will be playing 2s unless he shows something - not worth trading because you will get nothing for him and never know he could come good.

We don't have to do anything with him , he is contracted till 2020 so see if he comes good by then , if he doesn't it is no big deal because we have Bruce , Membery , Battle and Marshall - so he will be playing 2s unless he shows something - not worth trading because you will get nothing for him and never know he could come good.

We should be putting one or two on the market and see what they can get us. If it’s not worth you don’t do it if it’s above what we think they are worth we take it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back