Opinion Where's Nahas at?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nahas is not going to go from our 2nd leader goal kicker to out of the best 22 round 1 next year.

He may very well be out of the best 22 in the future but for now he's our most proven and consistent small forward who has the runs on the board and other players need to push him out. I do get a laugh out of people mentioning the likes of Knights, Edwards and Petterd though when trying to force out Nahas. Totally different players who play different roles. He's competing against Edwards and King. I suspect 2 out of those 3 will play most games and given how overrated King is the 2 are obvious.
Only point I would disagree on is King. Nahas plays his best football when he has King at his back and they complement each other very well. Could make the selection puzzle very complicated.

Noticed on roar vision in the training drills one of the drills was on how to keep your feet . Very fitting for Nahas. I rate him though . He's a piece of the puzzle for sure and if it doesn't work out we can always trade him to GWS for Dom Tyson and Will Hoskins Elliot. Infact they must rate him very highly internally for not pulling the trigger on that trade this year.

Nahas is not going to go from our 2nd leader goal kicker to out of the best 22 round 1 next year.

He may very well be out of the best 22 in the future but for now he's our most proven and consistent small forward who has the runs on the board and other players need to push him out. I do get a laugh out of people mentioning the likes of Knights, Edwards and Petterd though when trying to force out Nahas. Totally different players who play different roles. He's competing against Edwards and King. I suspect 2 out of those 3 will play most games and given how overrated King is the 2 are obvious.
Andrew Collins and Ben Nason , 2010 season when both incidentally kicked more goals than NAhas .

Nahas has kicked 29 and 36 goals the last 2 seasons. Both players you named probably never got over 15. Not a great comparison. :oops:
Your Intial comment suggested due to being our second highest goal kicker , not the amount they kicked . Arguement could be made that in a better side they would have kicked more .
The fact is in the same environment they both kicked more goals than Nahas in 2010.

Your Intial comment suggested due to being our second highest goal kicker , not the amount they kicked . Arguement could be made that in a better side they would have kicked more .
The fact is in the same environment they both kicked more goals than Nahas in 2010.

Why does it matter what happened in 2010? That was 3 seasons ago.

If you can't see the difference between a Nahas and someone like a Nason/Collins there's no point arguing with you.

Only point I would disagree on is King. Nahas plays his best football when he has King at his back and they complement each other very well. Could make the selection puzzle very complicated.

I agree, even though Jack has improved on his tackling and work rate, Nahas provides the silk and Kingy brings the grunt.

Why does it matter what happened in 2010? That was 3 seasons ago.

If you can't see the difference between a Nahas and someone like a Nason/Collins there's no point arguing with you.
Because at the end of that season one( Collins) was traded and 12 months later the other delisted, being the clubs 2nd highest goal kicker doesn't provide security.
Nason and Collins where used as examples of players who have been high on the list of club goal kickers and not been in the best 22 the following year.

I agree, even though Jack has improved on his tackling and work rate, Nahas provides the silk and Kingy brings the grunt.

Fair call Mogwai. It seems to me that Robbie lifts with Kingy out there but Kingy always brings it no matter who's out there. On a side note is your name/tag a reference to an Indian on the last of the Mohicans ? One of my all time favourite movies !

You guys are pretty bullish on Knights. When we played the crows he had five kicks in the first quarter and they all went to a Tiger player. While we hope we get 2010 Knights there is nothing so far to suggest that might be the case.
Probably already knew he was coming to Richmond so wanted to get in some practice kicking to his new team mates

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reasonable suggestive lineup , however where do you fit all of Cotchin , tuck , Foley , Lids , Conca , Grigg, Ellis and one of, if not both of Jackson and King ?

I had a very similar forward line to Izy, and have the rest as follows:

FB: Morris Chaplin Grimes
HB: Rance Griffiths Houli
CT: Grigg Cotchin Deledio
HF: Knights Vickery Martin
FF: S. Edwards Reiwoldt A.Edwards
FL: Maric Tuck Foley
IT: Ellis Conca Nahas/King Vlastuin/Jackson

Like most, I cannot see Nahas/King/S.Edwards in the same side. I like Shane up closer to goals, and think he showed more towards seasons end that the other two. TBH I keep changing my mind on Nahas/King. King is the better defensive forward, and helps structure our forward line much better. Nahas however does find the sticks, and has more ability to run through the guts when needed. Suspect it will come down to who has the better preseason.

I had a very similar forward line to Izy, and have the rest as follows:

FB: Morris Chaplin Grimes
HB: Rance Griffiths Houli
CT: Grigg Cotchin Deledio
HF: Knights Vickery Martin
FF: S. Edwards Reiwoldt A.Edwards
FL: Maric Tuck Foley
IT: Ellis Conca Nahas/King Vlastuin/Jackson

Like most, I cannot see Nahas/King/S.Edwards in the same side. I like Shane up closer to goals, and think he showed more towards seasons end that the other two. TBH I keep changing my mind on Nahas/King. King is the better defensive forward, and helps structure our forward line much better. Nahas however does find the sticks, and has more ability to run through the guts when needed. Suspect it will come down to who has the better preseason.
No room for Newman?

Last year Edwards didn't start playing the small forward role until round 8, in 15 games in that role he kicked 28 goals while averaging 18.8 disposals and 3 tackles. In comparison Nahas, who played all 22 games in the small forward role, kicked 34 goals while averaging 13.5 disposals and 3.8 tackles.

To me that shows that Edwards is much better in that small forward/midfielder role and given our desire to have more midfield depth next year that gives Edwards the edge. The reason being that I see our other midfield/forward options will be made up of genuine midfielders like Cotchin Martin Deledio Conca Knights Ellis Grigg Foley & Tuck rotating through.

MOST over-scrutinised player on the list - and for what reason? Does a good job as a small forward, who applies defensive pressure. 34 goals is nothing to sneeze about in a team that has multiple goalkicking options. Still best 22, but will be replaced going forward, but that time hasn't arrived. If it coems down to Nahas or King, Nahas wins every time!!!

Last year Edwards didn't start playing the small forward role until round 8, in 15 games in that role he kicked 28 goals while averaging 18.8 disposals and 3 tackles. In comparison Nahas, who played all 22 games in the small forward role, kicked 34 goals while averaging 13.5 disposals and 3.8 tackles.

To me that shows that Edwards is much better in that small forward/midfielder role and given our desire to have more midfield depth next year that gives Edwards the edge. The reason being that I see our other midfield/forward options will be made up of genuine midfielders like Cotchin Martin Deledio Conca Knights Ellis Grigg Foley & Tuck rotating through.

I never said I'd rather Nahas over Edwards but I don't see us playing most games next season with only 1 small forward crumbing type who can apply pressure like you seem to be suggesting. While Edwards is rotating a lot in the midfield too like I presume will happen we need another designated small forward.

Knights, Tuck, Foley, Grigg, etc can't play this role. That's a massive stretch. I think Nahas will play most games despite BigFooty's desperate push to come up with silly reasons to get rid of him unless another very good small forward pops up out of nowhere who can apply pressure. I don't see that happening but we will see I guess.

I never said I'd rather Nahas over Edwards but I don't see us playing most games next season with 1 small forward crumbing type who can apply pressure like you seem to be suggesting.

Knights, Tuck, Foley, Grigg, etc can't play this role. That's a massive stretch.
Never said you did, just stating my preferred option.

As I said with our desire to have greater midfield depth I just can't see us sacrificing a better midfielder to play an extra defensive forward. To do this I get the feeling that what we maybe looking at doing instead is making our F50 a more dangerous proposition for opposition defences. By loading up on goalkicking options we will force opposition defences to become more accountable rather than them just zoning off and looking for the rebound. If that happens then we don't really need to have multiple defensive forwards.

Anyway happy to agree to disagree at this stage rather than just go around in circles.

MOST over-scrutinised player on the list - and for what reason? Does a good job as a small forward, who applies defensive pressure. 34 goals is nothing to sneeze about in a team that has multiple goalkicking options. Still best 22, but will be replaced going forward, but that time hasn't arrived. If it coems down to Nahas or King, Nahas wins every time!!!
Not sure about Nahas over King, or at least not in all situations. Look at the Freo game in Perth as an example.

Fair call Mogwai. It seems to me that Robbie lifts with Kingy out there but Kingy always brings it no matter who's out there. On a side note is your name/tag a reference to an Indian on the last of the Mohicans ? One of my all time favourite movies !

Well it's a reference to the band that named themselves after that person.

Sorry if that underwhelms you :(

In isolation yes, but no one can tell me on the whole Nahas' season wasn't miles ahead of Kingy. I thought King wa srelative poor for the majority of 2012.
No wonder, with...

Damaged posterior cruciate ligament in his left knee against Collingwood in round 2

Broken wrist against Port in round 6

Broken thumb and severed ligaments against the Swans in round 7

Fractured cheekbone against GWS in round 12

Broken his right foot against Fremantle in round 21

Add an adductor release on the left side of his groin for good measure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back